User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Got ticket in California 62 in 55 zone need suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
There is one other thing I disagree with your advice -- "Its a company truck so its the companies problem" The truck is your livelihood. Just because somebody else absorbs the bills for your livelihood does not mean that you should not care for it, and especially abuse it. While driving, I cared for the company truck as if it were mine. It is a matter of respect. Take care of the truck -- it will take care of you.
Please show me where I said "It's a company truck so it's the company's problem".
Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
I run the 5 S/B and N/B every week. Including today as I am in Cabazon. CHP does not even look at you at 65 mph and under . :roll: :roll:

I would bet my business that the OP was doing a wee it faster than 62 and in the left lane. Anybody who runs the 5 near Santa Nella knows that there are scales there.

Also don't need the commentary that CHP is strict, blah,blah blah..... Run the 5 as much as we (West Coast drivers) do out here, we know how it works.
Hmmm .. You might have been getting away with it thus far .. but your arrogance is going to catch up to you one day. It is a matter of time. In talking with a CHP officer (see my previous Gordon Trucking journal on this web site "Why do you guys hate truckers") There are three keys for pulling over trucks:

1. You are right . being in the left lane is bad and having to move into the left hand lane to pass right hand traffic that is doing the speed limit. Should an officer observe this -- you are more than likely going to participate in a traffic stop. They do understand the danger of the split speed law and your lane changing just increases the risk. Do 60 .. maybe 65 in the right hand lane and you might not get surprised.

2. Do 60 - 65 and not have adequate following distance for traffic. I am not talking tailgating or "running a train." Like when the 5 gets busy around Buttonwillow and Grapevine -- traffic is heavy and you might just in the lottery that day and get a ticket.

3. They might just have a beef against truck drivers and decide to pull you .... :lol:

Just a little comment (this story was also in my Gordon Journal on this web) Gordon Trainer had same attitude as you and encouraged trainee to do 65 between Stockton and Sacramento. Got pulled just after the I80 exchange going northbound. Great advice from the trainer was it not? :roll:

In 32 years of driving a 4 wheeler I never got a ticket. On my first trip to California as a newbie trucker going Southbound on the I5 at exit 649 .. I got 62 in a 55. There is a 1/2 mile 8% grade Where is this ??? Red Bluff ?? Nope ! and I had paper rolls on board. (79,000 pounds) After crossing the bridge at 55 MPH (being a really good newbie driver) the truck just accelerated and I tapped the brakes to slow down when the truck picked up speed again. CHP officer was at the bottom of the hill. You should A car hauling a boat doing 71 MPH passed me .. he got us both -- I got a 62 - 55. I was told by the judge that I was the very last commercial driver in California to attend traffic school and get the ticket adjudicated.

Also if I might add tfmotors .. this particular forum is for newbies and giving newbies advice .... clearly your are much more experienced then any of us on this forum .. including drivers I know have at least 20 years ...maybe you should take your "we know how it works" attitude to those forums? I have one year experience .. driving in California ... The guys giving advice to slow it down in California have many many more years experience .. All I know is that I see all the drivers in the breakdown lane talking to California's finest who also "knew how it works" :wink: ...
Thank you for the sage advice.... :roll: :roll: :roll: As a company driver you know everything....
Old 03-16-2007, 12:27 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I am based out of Chicago and have been for the past 3.5 years, anyone who says they recieved a ticked for 10mph over in a truck is flat out B/S'n and same goes with California where i venture ALL THE TIME....
I've driven next to both HP and never been looked at for 65 but am passed by semis going much faster than that and those are the ones they go after..

BTW
Go with TVC...
Old 03-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
I am based out of Chicago and have been for the past 3.5 years, anyone who says they recieved a ticked for 10mph over in a truck is flat out B/S'n and same goes with California where i venture ALL THE TIME....
I've driven next to both HP and never been looked at for 65 but am passed by semis going much faster than that and those are the ones they go after..

BTW
Go with TVC...
I was privy once to a conversation between several truckers and 2 Illinois state police officers at a restaurant. The officers said that if you're doing no more than 65 mph in and stay out of the left lane (aren't passing lots of traffic, 9 times out of 10 ISP won't even look at you. He said most officers feel that a truck doing 65 on an interstate is less dangerous than a car flying down the road doing 85-90 mph on that same stretch of road. He said if the ISP had their way they'd make the speed limit uniform but they don't make the rules.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
CHP can be real a$$es :roll:
Why? For doing their job? I despise Kalifornia as much as the next guy. But don't put the blame on the cops doing their job. As long as you do what you need to do lawfully, there should be no problem.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:36 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh

BTW
Go with TVC...
I was privy once to a conversation between several truckers and 2 Illinois state police officers at a restaurant. The officers said that if you're doing no more than 65 mph in and stay out of the left lane (aren't passing lots of traffic, 9 times out of 10 ISP won't even look at you. He said most officers feel that a truck doing 65 on an interstate is less dangerous than a car flying down the road doing 85-90 mph on that same stretch of road. He said if the ISP had their way they'd make the speed limit uniform but they don't make the rules.
Thats what i thought...
Old 03-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
CHP can be real a$$es :roll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Why? For doing their job? I despise Kalifornia as much as the next guy. But don't put the blame on the cops doing their job. As long as you do what you need to do lawfully, there should be no problem.
I thought I was the only one who thought this way. 8)