User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I drove 65 mph in California all the time and never recieved so much as a stern glance from the CHP.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Rookie

We purchased legal insurance through my husbands company. It was one of the things they offered in orientation with the health benefits, etc. I think it's about $7 per week. Hopefully we'll never need it, but we figured it was a good idea. I would hate to have to come up with money for an attorney if something horrible happened.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't forget that since 9/11 you can no longer plead to a lesser offense. You are either convicted of the original infraction or not. I once had a speeding ticket changed to an excessive vehicular noise violation.
Fine was the same but no points. Can't do that anymore.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
I drove 65 mph in California all the time and never recieved so much as a stern glance from the CHP.
yeaah I do 65 all the time everywhere in callie, have chp pass me all the time.... maybe you got a break and he wrote 62 to go easy on yah, bet you were 70 or more huh....... all the trucks pass me when I do 65 so I figured if am slower than them then chp will go for them not me...
Old 03-15-2007, 03:28 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
What in a Bus?
You haven't run California much running 65 if indeed you were driving a Truck
Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I run the 5 S/B and N/B every week. Including today as I am in Cabazon. CHP does not even look at you at 65 mph and under . :roll: :roll:

I would bet my business that the OP was doing a wee it faster than 62 and in the left lane. Anybody who runs the 5 near Santa Nella knows that there are scales there.

Also don't need the commentary that CHP is strict, blah,blah blah..... Run the 5 as much as we (West Coast drivers) do out here, we know how it works.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

What TF said. You can run I-5 from Cottonwood to Grapevine at 65, as long as you slow down for Sac-town, move left for CHP on the shoulder, and don't run the scales. You can do 65 down 99 from Merced to Grapevine as well..slowing for Fresno and Bakers-town.
Trucks in the left lane when approaching scales, are an auto-stop, anywhere in Cali. Every scale in Cali has cameras starting 1 1/2 miles before the scales.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
What in a Bus?
You haven't run California much running 65 if indeed you were driving a Truck
In a big blue buzzard truck.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Got ticket in California 62 in 55 zone need suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by srytrucker
then i got another ticket in the mail for not having sufficient tread on inner duals on the trailer
If you are a company driver, this citation is not yours - it is the companies. If you are an O/O, and you are pulling someone else's trailer, this citation is theirs as well.

Either way, this isn't a moving violation. It is an equipment violation.

Slow down.
Rev ... I do believe in California at least that is only true if the company files a form that states they are responsible one or more of the following: Equipment, Overweight, and Permits. The form has check-boxes and the Driver presents the form to the CHP officer when he writes the ticket. A copy is also sent in when the company pays the fine and states the correction.

At Gordon we had only the Equipment Violation checked :wink:

So, I am not sure it is safe to assume that all equipment violations are the companies if you are a company driver though the law states that the company has to be notified of the violation. I am also leery to give the advice to just blow off an equipment violation thinking "heck this is the companies problem." That will indeed backfire as the driver's license info is squarely on the ticket, and at least the states I have seen, states that the signee is responsible for correcting the matter. I would definitely advise to follow up with your company and make sure an equipment violation is squared away.

There is one other thing I disagree with your advice -- "Its a company truck so its the companies problem" The truck is your livelihood. Just because somebody else absorbs the bills for your livelihood does not mean that you should not care for it, and especially abuse it. While driving, I cared for the company truck as if it were mine. It is a matter of respect. Take care of the truck -- it will take care of you.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
I run the 5 S/B and N/B every week. Including today as I am in Cabazon. CHP does not even look at you at 65 mph and under . :roll: :roll:

I would bet my business that the OP was doing a wee it faster than 62 and in the left lane. Anybody who runs the 5 near Santa Nella knows that there are scales there.

Also don't need the commentary that CHP is strict, blah,blah blah..... Run the 5 as much as we (West Coast drivers) do out here, we know how it works.
Hmmm .. You might have been getting away with it thus far .. but your arrogance is going to catch up to you one day. It is a matter of time. In talking with a CHP officer (see my previous Gordon Trucking journal on this web site "Why do you guys hate truckers") There are three keys for pulling over trucks:

1. You are right . being in the left lane is bad and having to move into the left hand lane to pass right hand traffic that is doing the speed limit. Should an officer observe this -- you are more than likely going to participate in a traffic stop. They do understand the danger of the split speed law and your lane changing just increases the risk. Do 60 .. maybe 65 in the right hand lane and you might not get surprised.

2. Do 60 - 65 and not have adequate following distance for traffic. I am not talking tailgating or "running a train." Like when the 5 gets busy around Buttonwillow and Grapevine -- traffic is heavy and you might just in the lottery that day and get a ticket.

3. They might just have a beef against truck drivers and decide to pull you .... :lol:

Just a little comment (this story was also in my Gordon Journal on this web) Gordon Trainer had same attitude as you and encouraged trainee to do 65 between Stockton and Sacramento. Got pulled just after the I80 exchange going northbound. Great advice from the trainer was it not? :roll:

In 32 years of driving a 4 wheeler I never got a ticket. On my first trip to California as a newbie trucker going Southbound on the I5 at exit 649 .. I got 62 in a 55. There is a 1/2 mile 8% grade and I had paper rolls on board. (79,000 pounds) After crossing the bridge at 55 MPH (being a really good newbie driver) the truck just accelerated and I tapped the brakes to slow down when the truck picked up speed again. CHP officer was at the bottom of the hill. A car hauling a boat doing 71 MPH passed me .. he got us both -- I got a 62 - 55. I was told by the judge that I was the very last commercial driver in California to attend traffic school and get the ticket adjudicated.

Also if I might add tfmotors .. this particular forum is for newbies and giving newbies advice .... clearly your are much more experienced then any of us on this forum .. including drivers I know have at least 20 years ...maybe you should take your "we know how it works" attitude to those forums? I have one year experience .. driving in California ... The guys giving advice to slow it down in California have many many more years experience .. All I know is that I see all the drivers in the breakdown lane talking to California's finest who also "knew how it works" :wink: ...