User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The bottom line is any of the carriers air cards will work. Today one may have better coverage than another, but in a month it will reverse. This is a technology that will continue to get better with time. Look at prices of the card and any restrictions that apply. I just went with Sprint at $59.99 a month. The only reason was the card was free after rebates and it is true unlimited usage, versus the hidden bandwidth restriction that Verizon doesn't tell you about. Other than that, from a tech standpoint, they will all get the job done.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Here's a web site that has alot of information http://www.dslreports.com/overview?v=r&typ=wireless

Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I also have a Verizon aircard and haven't had a problem so far. I can connect even in fairly remote locations at better than dial-up speeds. In the cities I can connect at a broadband speeds (1Mb+). I love it. It's so much better than those flaky Wi-Fi services.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
I also have a Verizon aircard and haven't had a problem so far. I can connect even in fairly remote locations at better than dial-up speeds. In the cities I can connect at a broadband speeds (1Mb+). I love it. It's so much better than those flaky Wi-Fi services.
Yup, I agree. I've been out in the middle of nowhere and my cell phone doesn't work but Verizon still pulls in a signal. May not be broadband speed but I can still get online even though I'm 300 miles from any major city.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
"AT&T, the new Cingular" what a joke. Cingular was AT&T before 2 years ago. Sounds like Ma Bell at it again, changing the name to get out of paying some bills.
Uhm... no.

First of all, AT&T Wireless was NOT the same company as the wireline AT&T, which has owned a 60% stake Cingular since it was new. Bellsouth owned the other 40%. When Cingular bought AT&T Wireless, AT&T Wireless became Cingular. When AT&T bought out Bellsouth, they decided to use the oldest name in telecom (AT&T) and ditch the Cingular name. Very little, other than the branding, will change.

I don't know where you're getting that Cingular isn't paying their bills... :roll:
Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 AM
Rookie

Anyone know of a provider than you can use out in the Dakotas' ? Going to be doing work in those states for a while.

Thanks !
Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntrygrl22
Anyone know of a provider than you can use out in the Dakotas' ? Going to be doing work in those states for a while.

Thanks !
Personally, I'd look first at Alltel, since they bought Western Wireless, which was pretty strong in rural areas. Then I'd look at Cingular, then Verizon.

Try any of them out - they should all give you at least 14-15 days to decide if the service will work for you. Cingular gives you 30 days, which is nice. Otherwise, try the prepaid services of any of those companies first, which will tell you somewhat about the coverage. Bear in mind that prepaid coverage is seldom the same as postpaid, but it's a good way to get into it without the contract.

Good luck,