User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting CB peaked and tuned

Hello all, long time no see. I just finished my 6 weeks on the road training. I recently got myself a brand new CB radio and my trainer said I would need to get it peaked and tuned at a CB shop for it to really be an effective radio. My question is, if I have to get this done at a CB shop, how will I have the time to do this on the road? Does it take a few hours to get it done if they get you in right away or what? I don't want to attempt to do anything to it myself because I don't know anything about CB radios. Any suggestions on how to find the time to get this done? How did you guys do it? Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 03-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Board Member

a good shop can do it in about 30 minutes or so, but you can get along fine without having it done.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Board Regular

it doesnt take long some truck stops have cb shops in them or just right across the street.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:13 PM

It pays to know your radio is "getting out" well. Have it set up at a shop you will be by once in a while. They should tell you about what they do and answer your questions also. "Talk back" a "power mic" and "echo" are things you can add. After messing with every setup out there, I wound up with a single antenna...found it to work the best and keeps it simple.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats
It pays to know your radio is "getting out" well. Have it set up at a shop you will be by once in a while. They should tell you about what they do and answer your questions also. "Talk back" a "power mic" and "echo" are things you can add. After messing with every setup out there, I wound up with a single antenna...found it to work the best and keeps it simple.

Don't forget a "Roger Beep", so you can annoy the crap out everyone!! I really hate these things. Not necessarily when they are getting used in a normal fashion but when drivers just sit there and key up continuously just to be annoying, it makes me want to find them and rip their radio out of the truck and smash it into a million pieces. :twisted: :twisted:
Old 03-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Getting CB peaked and tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
Hello all, long time no see. I just finished my 6 weeks on the road training. I recently got myself a brand new CB radio and my trainer said I would need to get it peaked and tuned at a CB shop for it to really be an effective radio. My question is, if I have to get this done at a CB shop, how will I have the time to do this on the road? Does it take a few hours to get it done if they get you in right away or what? I don't want to attempt to do anything to it myself because I don't know anything about CB radios. Any suggestions on how to find the time to get this done? How did you guys do it? Thanks in advance.

Tom
Best advice I've seen.

Great way to transfer your money to the CB shops pocket.

Very few of these CB shops have neither the knowledge nor the proper equipment to CORRECTLY tune a CB.

Best advice is the old adage -- If it ain't broke -- Don't fix it.

kc0iv
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member

what a joke, getting your cb peaked and tune will not transmit any farther than it does stock from the factory... when they tune it at your local ack shop they open up your mod circuit which will over mod the radio causing it to splatter across the cb band which will in effect loose power on the one channel your on, all that power is lost splattering across the band, whic all the power is no gain at all really its just your over mod will will cause tte radio to have a early death from over heating parts, only real professionals can modify a radio and them people are not in a local cb hack shop... for the price you pay them to destroy a good stock radio you could by a linear amp online and have more output power than 200 of them peaked radios and have clean modulation and not hurt the radio..

some say oh its bettter to make sure its getting out, well from the factory they made sure its getting out, getting out a good clean signal thats not over mod... but if you want to waste your money and your time to be like everyone else then thats your own doing, but if you do I will have to call you stupid... so please don't be stupid.. besides everyone else beat you to it, why follow them anyway, go your own way.... if you want power to be loud then get a linear amp and kick some but..... and sound good while transmitting too... thats better than what the rest of them did..
Old 03-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Board Regular

i always figue out these coaxial cables short between the body and the door before long and i wind up with a single antenna and coax thru the wing window til i get a new truck.these new trucks dont got wing windows and they wont like me drilling holes. we we will see what next. i get a new mic a couple times a year as we short them by the cb plug pretty often. we swap trucks every time one gets serviced and we got to have a cb at most mills.always patch something together
Old 03-19-2007, 01:59 AM

So you guys are saying don't bother having it peaked or tuned by a CB shop, lets say I take it right out of the box, besides connecting the wires and antenna in the back, what do I have to do to get it to work?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
So you guys are saying don't bother having it peaked or tuned by a CB shop, lets say I take it right out of the box, besides connecting the wires and antenna in the back, what do I have to do to get it to work?
Turn it on.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist