User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ahhh - days like these...

Actually, it started last night.

I unloaded in Glen Burnie, MD last night and had a pickup this morning in Cockeysville, MD. The weather was getting crappy, so I drove up here last night after I unloaded. Got here with no problems, pulled into the shipper and was backing into a space to shut down for the night. When I was about 5' shy of where I wanted to stop (backing in), one of the Maxi's on the trailer decided to blow out.

Ok, so, it's almost 1am and no one is in our shop for me to call, plus I was tired. So I just set my alarm for 6am and went to sleep.

Got up at 6 and called into the shop. They called T/A in Baltimore to do the repair. He showed up at 10am. After taking almost an hour just for us to find a place on the property I could literally drag the trailer to for him to do the repair, things were looking ok.

He finished up about 11:45am and I went to finally be able to check in for my load. Guess what - it's not even on the schedule...

They tell me to pull into the parking area and they'll call me when the load is ready. Ok - I back into the exact same hole I was in for the night.

Finally, at 5:30pm they call me and tell me to back into the dock. Got backed in, chocked, etc. and walked inside. They said it'd be another couple of hours at least (shift change now).

The worst part is that the load goes to a tiny town in the center of West Virginia (Spencer). To get there, you either go 100 miles out of route to have roads worth driving on, or head west on US 33 out of Weston. I've ran those roads many times when I delivered FedEx locally. So, looks like I've got the extra 100 miles to run.

And the load is scheduled for a 7am delivery.

HAHAHA - ya, right...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

you have to look on the bright side............at least it's not 7,000 cases of mccormick that all has to be broken down when you get there. something like 20 pallets turns into 250 'cause they mixed at least 10 different items on each skid! :P :wink:
Old 02-27-2007, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Correct me if I'm wrong! You've been on duty since 6am, and got loaded at around 8pm. 13 hours later, you suppose to make an appointment.
I don't know how far is that, but you've mentioned 100 miles "out of route".
And how you suppose to do that? I mean legally. :roll:
Old 02-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Correct me if I'm wrong! You've been on duty since 6am, and got loaded at around 8pm. 13 hours later, you suppose to make an appointment.
I don't know how far is that, but you've mentioned 100 miles "out of route".
And how you suppose to do that? I mean legally. :roll:
The run itself is just over 380 miles with the extra miles to avoid the worst part of US-33 in WV. However, that 350 miles is across I-68, I-79, US-50, I-77 and US-33 in MD/WV (nothing but hills/turns) with 45,000#.

As far as the 'legal' part of it, we won't go there... I absolutely hate when I have to 'adjust' my logs in order to make a run that would've had no problems getting there if the shipper would actually do their job. The actual driving time was just a little over 7hrs total, with 1 stop for fuel along the way.

Yes, I did fudge the logs in order to make the run. And, yes, I'm sure it'll happen again.

slightly funny addon to this fiasco:

My truck was in the shop last week (thursday or friday) getting a new starter. While it was being serviced, I was talking to the shop manager and mentioned my truck would need a new windshield soon (pitted & had a tiny chip on the passenger side - smaller than a dime). Well, after I left the consignee this morning, I was deadheading to our terminal. About 15 miles before I was done for the day, I hit a huge bump/pothole/speedbump/whatever you wanna call it on the interstate at 68mph. That tiny chip now spreads from one side of the windshield to the other. Mind you, that chip has been there since the day I was assigned the truck in early January, and has been all over the eastern half of the country on roads much worse...