User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default That damn Idle Aire

Has anyone here gotten chased out of an idle aire parking spot who wasn't using idle aire? We were at the Petro in Girard, Ohio (which when we drove for Transport America was a pretty regular place we went to spend money) and my old man pulled into a spot (it was like 10 at night) since there was nothing else, and this idle aire jerk comes out and bitches at him and tell him he can't park there. So he backs out and he is lucky enough to "make" a space elsewhere. There were tons (not literally, but you know what I mean) of empty idle aire spaces.

We like idle aire. We can't always afford it and the cheap stingy company my old man is working for right now won't pay for it. But my point is, (here I go on my soapbox again) Idle aire is not what made these truckstops. Truck drivers are what made them. We won't go back to the Girard Petro. If Idle aire wants to chase us out, fine, we will go elsewhere, there is a TA a few miles down the road and a Pilot across the street. What ticks me off, is the Petro is the one we liked. I can understand Idle aire wanting to reseve spaces for the people who are going to use the service, but what about the other customers who don't, but use the services inside the building? Having other trucks running while we have ours off when we are using IA doesn't even bother me. It doesn't even phase me.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 02-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Board Regular

I fail to understand why the guy is an "Idle Aire jerk" for asking a non-paying non customer to leave an Idle Aire spot.

A comparison could be made to parking in a fuel island or in a service bay- those areas are revenue-producing locations reserved for that purpose- revenue production.

Don't use Idle Aire? Don't park in Idle Aire.

-p.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuzzyGnu
I fail to understand why the guy is an "Idle Aire jerk" for asking a non-paying non customer to leave an Idle Aire spot.
-p.

Exactly. If you don't like Idle Air then go across the street to the hook instead... or
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I agree with the frustrations, but also agree that if you are not using their services...then do not park in their spaces.

What irks me is how they have taken all the "prime spots" and are utilizing over 1 1/2 spaces for each truck. This has really reduced the amount of real estate left for the rest of us, and is forcing us to now belong to Party Row...whether you like it or not.
Poor planning on the part of the TS if you ask me. They should have added more real estate to the TS for this....or located them on the outskirts....since they are so closely monitored anyway.

For the most part...it doesn't effect me...as I am one who generally parks furthest out anyway. But...when I am in a hurry...and want to stop for a quick shower, or a meal, etc. ....I hate then having to park out in the back forty. I do have an APU on my rig...which controls my cab temp between 60-85 degrees, and gives me 2- 110 volt outlets to run anything I want. So....I for one will NEVER use Idle-Aire....and I think for the money, etc. more companies might go with APU's as time goes on. For one thing....Idle-Aire is not everywhere....my APU is. I can shut down even at loading docks...where I may sit for hours. Think of the savings and cleaner air an APU offers.

I am frustrated, but can't afford to strike certain TS's off my list. Just another part of Trucking we will have to learn to live with. 5 years from now...we will look back at today as how nice it was back then. I don't agree with how TS's are changing....but they all went to hell when they became "Travel Center's" anyway. You can stop going to them....but you will be replaced by a dozen others...sooooooo.... :?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Board Icon

Idle Aire does not own the parking lot. I'd talk to the manager of the truck stop. If they tell you to move, then I'd move.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Now imagine my frustration when I drove out of my way just to get to an idleaire truck stop and all the spots are taken by trucks not using the service,how about a little courtesy.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Board Icon

Well, I don't agree with Idle-Air's tactics. There is generally not enough parking at ANY truck stop. When they take over how ever many spots, they're either forcing us to use their services or violate federal regs. I can not agree with that. There is NO FEDERAL REG that states we MUST use their services, but we MUST TAKE A 10 HOUR BREAK. They are going to capitalize on federal regs to make a profit. They can KISS MY GRITS.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:26 PM

That's a hard one. Truck stop owns the parking lot and gets cut from idle air. Idle Air is trying to may a buck, drivers want a place to park.

So for the time being maybe everyone could work together. When parking gets tight have an idle air rep direct you to an open spot and help you get in, whether it be a idle air spot or not.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Board Regular

Before more people get angry, I have noticed how many Idle aire's have cones up in front of so many spaces. Fine. Reserve spaces for your customers but don't forget the rest of the people who use the TS, but may not want to use idle air.

I would also like to add that I only park in an idle aire spot as a last resort.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Well, I don't agree with Idle-Air's tactics. There is generally not enough parking at ANY truck stop. When they take over how ever many spots, they're either forcing us to use their services or violate federal regs. I can not agree with that. There is NO FEDERAL REG that states we MUST use their services, but we MUST TAKE A 10 HOUR BREAK. They are going to capitalize on federal regs to make a profit. They can KISS MY GRITS.
the only thing it will do at stuckstops that have idle-air is fuel
i will not have service done, eat, or shop.
if you don't use idle-air you have to park in the back and i will not let my wife walk from the back at nite "not all are safe for a lady at nite" i myself i don't like backing into a driveway when you can't see the end of your trailer and you can't see if someone is coming. if thy stop and don't hit the horm how do you know you are not going to hit them and it will be your fault "right" and what if you are backing out and someone on the other side is also backing out, you can hit them or thy can hit you and no one will see it cuming until you hit. it takes more room for idle-air three parking spaces = 2 idle-air.

will not use the truckstops that have it