User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 02:07 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truck tips over on flat ground in VA

As I was pulling out of the TA at exit 150 in Roanoke VA, a truck makes a left turn coming towards the TA. He made the turn but just as he makes in his lane the truck goes right over. This was on flat ground, I wasn't close enough to tell what tipped him.

My guess was his load shifted but he wasn't going very fast at all. He wasn't hurt but was shook up from it, Company was SCOTT Trucking.

My question is... Is it really that easy to put one of these on the side? I'm hauling 8 rolls of paper about 7 foot tall and 4.5 feet wide total weight of 41,060 my guess is it wouldn't take much with mine.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Board Regular

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS%2FMGArticle%2FSLS_BasicArt icle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149192954896&path=!news!loca lnews
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Truck tips over on flat ground in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
My question is... Is it really that easy to put one of these on the side?

Yes, it is!!! You saw it happen!!

I'm hauling 8 rolls of paper about 7 foot tall and 4.5 feet wide total weight of 41,060 my guess is it wouldn't take much with mine.
Respect the Hell out of that load!!! I've hauled paper loads such as the one that you are carring, and they can be very unforgiving!!!

Just keep a safe following distance, and take your turns very gently, watch your trailer tandems very closely, stay off of the curbs, and you'll be fine!!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Board Icon

I've seen a truck roll after blowing a steer tire while taking an exit ramp. It was a roll-off truck and if you know them, they are top heavy when loaded. Boy had no chance of saving it but was lucky to come out with just a bruise on his knee.

Saw another one at the same spot, an 18 wheeler nearly rolled over onto his roof because the load shifted while taking the ramp. Trailer drug him thru the guardrail and down into the woods.

Freak deal for this guy, the airline for the trailer brakes popped off and caused the brakes to lock up on the trailer which in turn caused the load to shift on him. I mean, what are you going to do for that, jump out real quick and pop it back on??
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95

Freak deal for this guy, the airline for the trailer brakes popped off and caused the brakes to lock up on the trailer which in turn caused the load to shift on him. I mean, what are you going to do for that, jump out real quick and pop it back on??
Cant do anything, I do know that Hogan would call it a preventable accident though. :roll:
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I hate hauling top-heavy loads, but do it all the time. Best bet, respect your equipment and the load. If it's top-heavy, be especially careful in turns, because it doesn't have to shift to flip you. The center of gravity is just too high with it.

One of the worst things I've ever hauled was a D8 dozer on a drop-deck trailer. Not a low-boy, a drop deck. The deck was about 3' off the ground. Every time I went into a turn I thought for sure it was gonna go over.

I only did that 1 time.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Board Icon

I know exactly what your talking about Malaki, I have the same problem moving a Power Curber. It's weight sits real high on the machine anyways. I have been yabbering about getting a lowboy to haul that thing around to no avail even though it would be much safer. They still want to use a tilt deck trailer that is the same height as a stepdeck but not as long, only 36 feet long.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Once i picked up a loaded trailer of those paper rolls while with Werner in VA somewhere, off of route 81 close to Tennese border i think, drop yard was very steep and as i was going down i made a left turn not fast at all, but it caused my trailer to lift up off the ground about half foot and then it came back down. That night i started to pray for my well being while on the road since i almost had an heart attack due to this sh!t.
I guess i made that left turn too fast but i am for certain that i was not going over 10mph at that time. This was my second month of driving while i was still being a student so do speak... ops: and even to this day memmories of that cold December night bring chills to my spine...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I recall stopping at exit 0 on I-10 in Anthony, TX (El Paso). I had a high load that was over width and heavy. I was getting on the East bound ramp when I looked in the mirror only to see my trailer come off the ground about a foot, perhaps more. I kept moving and the trailer came back down on the road. Had I stopped, I have no doubt that I would have gone over. That particular entrance ramp slants outward as you go over the bridge. I have been cautious of that entrance ramp ever since. I tend to hit it at an angle now, whether I have a tall load or not.

Another time I was southbound on I-81 in Virginia with an aluminum coil. It was heavy for aluminum and tall. It felt as though my trailer wanted to tip over when I rounded curves. I thought there was something mechanically wrong with my trailer. As it turned out, it was only the coil. It stood tall and although it wasn't that heavy, it moved the center of gravity to a much higher level than I had been accustomed. This made my trailer top heavy. I am glad that it wasn't anything more serious. You need to be aware of your equipment and make adjustments when conditions change.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I've hauled those paper loads too. And with 8 ft rolls too. They used to load them in the center of the width of the trailer. 4 rolls in front, down the center, and 4 or 5 in back, also down the center. WITH NO BRACING... They are BASTARD LOADS that will get you in serious trouble with even the slightest hint of an excuse. But there is one thing that makes this load even worse in a dry-van. That is to have each roll of paper on it's own pallet. If the pallet doesn't hold the weight, it doesn't even need an excuse. Last time I hauled one of those loads, I refused to move it until I had 20 load straps. Two per roll, one holding it from going left, and one holding it from going right. Place them near the top of the rolls. If they can tip over, they can cave out the side of the trailer and fold the trailer in half, or roll you over. However, in most cases, I've seen these rolls banded together, 4 in front and 5 in back.

I've also hauled equipment in a Dry-Van. Like a "glueing machine" that was mounted on 4 ft legs. That meant that 44,000 pounds didn't start until 4 ft up from the bed of the trailer. Think what that does to the center of gravity around a ramp.