User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPax
On another note, if you're going to smoke, roll your own. The tobacco you get is typically much better than the chemically enhanced stuff you get in prepackaged smokes. Having to actually assemble the cigarette, usually makes you smoke less.

I actually enjoy smoking, and rarely smoke more than 7-10 cigs in a day. I buy 14oz bags of my favorite tobacco online and boxes of tubes. This equates to about $10 a carton and I am smoking real quality tobacco, naturally grown with nothing added.
Well I love cigars too so I think I'll switch to those when I'm spending lots of time behind the wheel.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charkar
I quit smoking almost 5 months ago, September 9th, 2006.

Congratulations. But 5 months does NOT make a lifetime. I quit for about 5 months once myself.

I was on my way home, Karin was not with me yet.
I had told her I was going to quit before I came back home.
I pulled into the service plaza down on I-95 in MD, went in, picked up a box of mentos in the flip top box.
On the way back out to the truck I threw away my pack of smokes, emptied my ash trays, got rid of it all.
I went home, never picked up another cigg.

Congratulations.

Karin has never smoked in her life, and she is riding with me now, the last thing I would ever do is have her deal with the smell of smoke.

I commend you, but that is a personal decision about how you relate to someone you love.

Every since I quit, I can understand why non-smokers would not want to be around smokers.

I can understand that, too. But, I grew up around smoke (extended family) and never ONCE thought I had a right to complain.

I thank the states that have banned smoking inside the buildings.
I cant wait till they all ban it.

And what will they ban after that? And where does the Constitution allow our government to ban such things? Our country was BUILT on the tobacco and Rum trade. Most of our founding fathers enjoyed the freedom to partake of both.

I know smokers feel they have the right to smoke, but until they them self quit, they will probably never understand why non-smokers deserve the right not to inhale cig smoke while they eat, shop, or anything else in public.

Well, I HAVE quit a few times. In fact... when I don't smoke, I ENJOY the smell of burning tobacco even MORE. Now.... STALE smoke in your clothes or your bunk might be a different story.... but they HAVE invented Fabreeze. As for eating.... most restaurants USED to have a non-smoking section. You are welcome to sit there. Shopping? I have no problem with no smoking in stores. You might burn the merchandise.

But, the KEY word here is PUBLIC. A public area is just that! It must be shared by ALL the public. I have extremely sensitive ears. I am annoyed and pained by the screaming of unruly kids. Will you keep your (future) kids OUT of MY public areas so I don't have to listen to them while you conveniently IGNORE their pleas and misbehaviour?? How about Body Odor? Should THAT be allowed in public areas? Or should I just suck it up and DEAL with the fact that I am just ONE part of the Public?

I was a smokers for 30 years, I still have cravings, but I feel so much better being a NON SMOKER.

Congratulations. But, must I live MY life according to what makes YOU feel better?

I thank my wife for being there, my support, my step children as well were a large part of helping me quit.

Congratulations. I'm glad you had so much support. I'm glad you have a family. And I'm glad you care about them and are tuned into them. But, I am NOT part of your family... nor are YOU part of mine. What you choose to do for/about YOUR family is a PERSONAL decision. I don't remember signing on to any contract that says I will live my life according to YOUR family rules.

Now... don't get me wrong. I am a very courteous smoker. I DO care about others in crowded spaces, etc. But, the Constitution assures me the right to the "pursuit of happiness." It makes me happy to smoke. And I pay just as much taxes to support our PUBLIC areas as you do. So I respectfully ask.... what gives you the right?

And before you reply.... there has not been ONE documented and proven case of a person contracting cancer from second hand smoke. As long as my smoke ONLY offends your "sensibilities," I say what about MINE? Sometimes in life we just have to suck it up and DEAL with things we don't like.

Charles

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Rookie

How to quit? Don't start....oh wait you started again and your blaming this on your company your driving for currently....good try doesn't work in my book.

Bored behind the wheel, huh? Are you the ***** I have to deal with everyday driving me crazy?

Only one way to quit forever.....cold turkey.....but you have to want to in your mind. You don't want to it won't happen.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Want to

edited by Charles
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Board Icon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I DO live by it! I'M not the one complaining about a little foul air!!!

I'll get back to the REST of this malarky when I return from Ventura. Probably next Sunday! Keep cool till then!! :lol:

Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Rookie

edited
Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 AM

Ask your doctor about Chantix. It is a new drug. I am 48 and have smoked since I was 13. I have tried to quit many times(patches, gum,willpower ect ect) and can't count the number of packs I have thrown away only to rush out and get a new one the next morning and end up just smoking more. I started on the Chantix on Dec 22 and have not smoked since Dec 27. It has completly taken away my desire to smoke. It has never seemed so easy. The drug turns off the receptor for the nicotine somehow but I was totally suprised at my lack of withdrawls and all that goes with it. It costs me 110 dollars a month for it and you take it for 3 months but that is cheaper than I was spending on cigerettes. Don't know if it will work for ever one but it sure helped me.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How to quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Hey, I quit smoking awhile ago but started again when I started driving for the company I'm at.

I do about 1,600 miles a week and all that time behind the wheel got nothing better to do than smoke.

Patches? Nicotine gum? All kind of expensive, just wondering what worked for drivers out there to quit smoking.

It was easy for me to stop smoking before, because all I had to do was keep busy. Not smoking while driving seems like it will be nearly impossible.
Just make up your mind to quit and quit.

Every time you fail and buy a pack of cigs, throw a $5 bill out the window. Eventually you'll be broke, and you'll either quit or you'll be one of those pathetic losers begging for someone to bum you a smoke.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Board Icon

edited

Old 02-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Rookie

Golfhobo, you are right, and that is a good question about what will they try and ban next.
I posted on this subject because I know it is a tough thing to do when a person quits.
It's nothing to get political over, and I do understand where you are coming from.

I was mainly thinking about courtesy towards others, but that can be viewed from both directions. I was looking at it from a third direction, it can be viewed from those that have never smoked, they have no real idea what it feels like to smoke. Yes, I do know of the enjoyment I had when I smoked and what I felt when I went into places that had already ban smoking. I was on that side as well, I could not see why I had to follow those rules, just because others did not wish to smoke, what gives them the right to tell me I have to live like them? So many times I felt the same way as you said.
And then from the view of someone who has decided to quit smoking after 30 years..It is not easy at times to walk in and smell smoke, and I know my wife has a hard time dealing with it as well, but we both deal.
And I remember my grandmother when she smoked, when I was a kid, I use to sneak off with a few of her Salem Menthol Ciggs, nasty as they were, I wanted to smoke, even use to sneak off with my step dads smokes. 30 years smoking, 5 months is not that long, and I still have my cravings. I still think about just one puff would be nice.

I ran on and let this get out of hand, it was about quiting smoking, that was it.

And I was incorrect about the things I said, you were right, the pledge was actually written in 1892http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

And the logo "In God We Trust" was put on money in 1861 http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fac...we-trust.shtml

And no, I am a bit older then 30, however, this subject should have never become political and I opened up a can of worms by saying anything about a ban.

I hope the you or no one else will hold this against me. I enjoy the board and I hope to make some new friends here.

Charles