User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Laptop computers

I have heard that most truck drivers today have a laptop computer they take with them. To those of you that have one, could you tell me what kind you have and how much it cost you? I'm looking into getting one once I start driving here, and wanted to know what a good deal for a decent laptop computer would be.

Also, if I want one that has wireless internet capabilities, is the wireless internet usually reliable, or do you have trouble connecting often? Also, is the wireless internet hard to install/set up on a laptop? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Board Regular

I have a HP with built in wireless card. I like it I have a year subsription with TA wireless to use at their truck stops and Sirrcom to use at Pilots, Loves, and Petros.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Mine's a Compaq Presario...really sturdy. Cops use these in the Interceptors. Mine is 5 years old. I'm just now replacing the battery. It is used a lot and used rough. I am on cable broadband at home, and go with WiFi at TS's.

Compaq invented the wireless chip. I think I paid $1100 for this gadget.
I guess HP owns them now. There is no WiFi settings you have to do. They are automatic. Once you set up an account...it will log you in.
I use mainly TA, and Flying J. I've used Petro and also some Motel hookups, and a few Interstate Reststops with WiFi.

Air cards are more money...but you can go online anywhere you get a phone signal. WiFi runs you about $20 a month...like with TA...but you have to be in the TA parking lot. That works fine for me...when I'm driving.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Mine's a Compaq Presario...really sturdy. Cops use these in the Interceptors. Mine is 5 years old. I'm just now replacing the battery. It is used a lot and used rough. I am on cable broadband at home, and go with WiFi at TS's.

Compaq invented the wireless chip. I think I paid $1100 for this gadget.
I guess HP owns them now. There is no WiFi settings you have to do. They are automatic. Once you set up an account...it will log you in.
I use mainly TA, and Flying J. I've used Petro and also some Motel hookups, and a few Interstate Reststops with WiFi.

Air cards are more money...but you can go online anywhere you get a phone signal. WiFi runs you about $20 a month...like with TA...but you have to be in the TA parking lot. That works fine for me...when I'm driving.
I use a cingular air card and it cost me 49 dollers a month pluse my phone service. it can be a little slow in some places but I can hook up to the wifi at truck stops for free somehow it just jacks the signal (I dont know how lol) its nice for when i'm stuck at a dock and want to get online or if I overnight somewhere other than a truck stop.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

After rebates you can get a decent one for $300-500. I have a Toshiba. Cost about $1000 before $300 rebate. Got it 5 years ago before the prices came down.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM

You can sometimes find a good deal at a yard sale...just make sure it's a model that won't interfere with your driving :wink:

Old 12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Board Icon

TA WiFi Hotspots
This is a price list, but seems to me, as a account holder, you get this slightly cheaper...unless they recently raised the rates.

Flying J WiFi Hotspots

Above are a couple links to WiFi services. Petro uses ....SiriCOMM Wi-Fi...
and most Motels offer free hookup, as are some Reststops.

States are offering free WiFi hookups at more and more Reststops now to encourage Travelers to stop, and take a break. Logging on to see weather ahead, tourist locations, resturants, etc.

The disadvantage to TS WiFi is you must be in the TS to go online. Not every TS has WiFi...and some that do, have poor signals. Of course...those are areas...even cell phones tend to be sketchy.

I like the TS WiFi...because it's cheaper, and I can use my TS Fuel Card Rewards to pay for it. I usually have a hundred or more dollars on most of my Cards...and I never seem to need anything out of the TS Stores. You really..really get tired of TS crap, after awhile. :?

I would have an AirCard ....like say Sprint...if I could use the service at home. But I live so far North...I don't have Sprint service up here. We have Nextel or Alltel. I'm even on the edge of a dozen dead zones. You have to wear a tinfoil hat and stick your middle finger in the air...to get a signal. Your calls drop a lot...but you learn to just keep talking, and forget about it. :evil:
Advantage of the AirCards is you can go online anywhere you can get a decent cell signal.

My outlook is...I run so hard when I'm driving...only time I even have an interest for online is when I finally settle down at a TS, and have eatten, showered and have a couple hours to fool around before I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. All I seem to do online anyway...is answer a couple emails...and so what I have a cell phone.
Or I come here and chat.
I like being on the road to break my addiction of this place. I really need to cold Turkey...but it's soooo hard to do. Right now I want to log off...but I just can't. :cry:

I'm soooo weak. :cry:
I have nooo life. :cry: :cry: :evil:
Old 12-28-2006, 02:30 PM

I also have a Cingular card. Have to, because I also have an IT business and am supporting clients. I also have an iPAQ PDA that is always online. It has integrated GPS and I use Mapopolis on it, which is a pretty decent program for $90 / year and unlimited maps of US and Canada.

Takes a bit to program a route into it that it hasn't picked, but it's peace of mind when going through unfamiliar territory.

You'll run into a lot of places with no signal with the Cingular card, but they're where you'd expect them to be (mountains, hills).

In big cities, the speed is good. Can even do streaming audio and video. The worst it gets is about the speed of DSL-lite.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:18 PM

hi there ya-all ... we have a Toshiba satellite cost around $800 we also have a cingular air-card ... cause were always surfing the net when the other is driving ... we have two different maps software we use Microsoft with GPS and DeLorme with GAPS both are great in their own way ... would be nice if someone would put the two together.... I'd never go OTR without this equipment it has saved us many time and paid for it self time and time again. Next week we are buying a wilson antennea for the cell-phones and air card for better coverage.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Roadhog.... you crack me up :lol:
I hope I run into you one day on the road.