User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Too many Rookies that dont care!

I think trucking in general is going down the tubes, by the new generation of "Ill take care of me" drivers. Im by no means a well seasoned vetren like my father(41 years) but I have been taught outside of the "All-State Career" type schools, and have learned the way to gain respect. In the last few years, its getting worse.

1. Rarely do drivers flash to pass anymore, or even thank you when you flash for them.

2. Rarely can you get a good idea what is ahead, ie bears, weather, traffic, accidents, etc without a mouth full of useless junk, such as profanity, trash talk, or other BS. If you ask eastbound whats ahead, most times, you turn the CB off before you can get a real answer. Must be the XM/Sirius only crew. Whats a CB?

3. No one shows any respect at the truckstops. While waiting to exit in Breezewood PA (brand new TA) I watched another driver trying to back into one of the last remaining spots, which required him to move around in the exit area. Not 1, but 6 trucks couldnt wait 3 seconds for him, but rather had to jump around him, so he couldnt move, and then to make things worse, the exit got blocked because a few Mr I'm important's, wouldnt give him a few seconds to back up.

Or the drivers that just have to block the roadway while they sit at the fuel desk fighting that their comdata is rejected.

I enjoy the job, I was taught early on RESPECT. Let someone out here, flash you lights there, help another fold some tarps, etc. Im not perfect, but if these schools taught new drivers how to show some respect, it might make things a whole lot easier on us all. Instead most are taught to fit in they need a wiresless headset strapped to their heads all all times of the day...youd think they were a doctor or something, need to be on call 24/7....instead thier talking about the newest gizmo's or whatnot so they can become a "Big Truck Driver"

Thanks to those of you who really do try and do the best job you can...you folks are what the profession is suppose to be, and i enjoy working around and with those of you.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM

Boy junkman you made some good points, how about the guys who run the middle lane and make ya pass them on the left or right. Or the ones that pull up to the pumps just to run in and screw around in the truckstop. Or my personel favorite, the unnamed morons who leave there special brew in the old milk container in the parking lot or who stop on the side of the freeway right by the exit to the truckstop just to take a leak, they are in way too much of a hurry to actually go to the truckstop. I wonder why our image is bad.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 PM

Hmmm, thats another good one. in Southern NJ, I heard a guy boasting because he will pull into a pump, stick the nozzle in the tanks, then go inside and do whatever. And the middle lane...what a crock. If you are unsure of the area, stay to the right. Dont pull any 3 lane changes to exit at 6 pm on I-80 just outside of NYC.

Im not making fun of anyone or putting anyone down. Im sure there are many students who make an honest attempt to conduct business professionally. But for being treated like a 2nd rate citizen from most of the country, we sure do stick our nose up to each other.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Change starts with one person. You can't control what others do, but you can control what you do. You can choose to be courteous, flash your lights, etc., Good manners can be catching as can poor manners. I have spoken to a number of others who have been around this business for many years, and we all agree with what you are saying about respect. We can challenge some of these people. Let them know that their behavior is unacceptable. Of course, when you do say something to them they are likely to jump all over you and tell you to mind your own business. You need to remember that they are the one who is important. :roll:
Old 12-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Too many Rookies that dont care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunkman
I think trucking in general is going down the tubes, by the new generation of "Ill take care of me" drivers. Im by no means a well seasoned vetren like my father(41 years) but I have been taught outside of the "All-State Career" type schools, and have learned the way to gain respect. In the last few years, its getting worse.

1. Rarely do drivers flash to pass anymore, or even thank you when you flash for them.

2. Rarely can you get a good idea what is ahead, ie bears, weather, traffic, accidents, etc without a mouth full of useless junk, such as profanity, trash talk, or other BS. If you ask eastbound whats ahead, most times, you turn the CB off before you can get a real answer. Must be the XM/Sirius only crew. Whats a CB?

3. No one shows any respect at the truckstops. While waiting to exit in Breezewood PA (brand new TA) I watched another driver trying to back into one of the last remaining spots, which required him to move around in the exit area. Not 1, but 6 trucks couldnt wait 3 seconds for him, but rather had to jump around him, so he couldnt move, and then to make things worse, the exit got blocked because a few Mr I'm important's, wouldnt give him a few seconds to back up.

Or the drivers that just have to block the roadway while they sit at the fuel desk fighting that their comdata is rejected.

I enjoy the job, I was taught early on RESPECT. Let someone out here, flash you lights there, help another fold some tarps, etc. Im not perfect, but if these schools taught new drivers how to show some respect, it might make things a whole lot easier on us all. Instead most are taught to fit in they need a wiresless headset strapped to their heads all all times of the day...youd think they were a doctor or something, need to be on call 24/7....instead thier talking about the newest gizmo's or whatnot so they can become a "Big Truck Driver"

Thanks to those of you who really do try and do the best job you can...you folks are what the profession is suppose to be, and i enjoy working around and with those of you.
Most new trucks won't allow you to flash, and most drivers bitch when you flash your brights.

I don't know where you've been, but the CB has always been full of garbage!

Drivers bitching about backing has been going on for years also, same with the clowns in the fuel lane for 30 minutes.

If you look at half the guys bitching and complaining out on the road, 9 times out of 10 it's an old timer. I've had more problems with an impatient old timer then any other trucker. I've been on the road off and on for 13 years, and the attitudes get worse every year. I really don't think it's the new generation, I just think people are getting tired of the crap and take it out on their fellow drivers.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Board Regular

I'm 23, and not an old timer by any means, and i agree that it's the lack or respect out there, and not the lack of patience with these so called old timers. I run the same stretch of I-75 between brooksville and South Sarasota day in and day out, and find it amazing the lack of respect some of these drivers have out there. I'll further comment on the middle lane blocking, because as most of you who have driven in Florida know, the left lane is restricted to big trucks, and if you drive a lot in central, and south florida then you've also seen the ongoing blocking of the middle lane by these governed 65 mph company trucks, the middle lane is pretty much the passing lane for trucks, and as hard as you try to get them to realize that you're trying to get by, it seems the less and less they could give a crap. I don't "fly" down the higway, but the truck i drive does 72, and i just get held up all day, i try to stay as courteous as i can be, like i said i'm still young, but i don't take the hotshot approach to driving a truck as so many newbies, and so called "super truckers" do out there.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Board Regular

Thats the way this busness is.

you could have made your post 30 years ago

and gotten the same answers
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

That's just life, there's a**h***s everywhere and in every occupation. I look at it this way, if it wasn't for these a**h****s some days I'd have nothing to laugh at. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-14-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Most new trucks won't allow you to flash, and most drivers bitch when you flash your brights.

I don't know where you've been, but the CB has always been full of garbage!

Drivers bitching about backing has been going on for years also, same with the clowns in the fuel lane for 30 minutes.

If you look at half the guys bitching and complaining out on the road, 9 times out of 10 it's an old timer. I've had more problems with an impatient old timer then any other trucker. I've been on the road off and on for 13 years, and the attitudes get worse every year. I really don't think it's the new generation, I just think people are getting tired of the crap and take it out on their fellow drivers.
I wouldnt know about the new trucks not being able to flash, I run a 2000, but I do know that excuse cant be made for thanking someone, because you have many options available, 4 ways, signals, etc. Even a CB back would be nice. Most of the time, atleast the lanes Im running, it seems that there is a large percentage that dont do anything anymore.

I know this BS has been going on for years. I have been around them my hole life. But I also know 9 chances outa 10, if you ask East Bound what they left behind them, you wont even get a serious answer. Must be the "governed to 65" crowd that dont even look.

"I just think people are getting tired of the crap and take it out on their fellow drivers"

RESPECT, what you said is the bottom line. We get treated like crap from a lot of people up the line. I guess we are just the stupid truck drivers with no education, no teeth and no shower for 3 days. I think we need to do more to show respect to each other. Until we as a hole start moving forward, we will always be considered trash. (even though most of us are clean, have our teeth, and are well educated)
Old 12-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama

That's for sure. A lot of those guys are the typical super truckers who think their shit don't stink. They're also the ones who tend to tailgate 4 wheelers, idle their trucks during mild weather when they go in to watch TV in the lounge, leave piss jugs all over the place and talk shit on their boosted Galaxy radios with the echo turned so far up that they're nearly unintelligible.

They've got the "I've been doing this for X number of years and can do what the hell I want" attitude.

I remember one winter being stuck at the Bosslemans TS in Grand Island NE after the Nebraska DOT shut down I-80 and US30. A 30 year "veteran" who thought he new better took off and 15 miles down old US30 he jacknifed and wound up paying a huge fine to the state of Nebraska. He lost his truck and put his student trainee in the hospital.