User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider and Wal-Mart?

I saw a Schneider truck pulling a Wal-Mart trailer today.

Has Wal-Mart contracted with them to help decrease the number of company drivers, or do you suppose they need help getting Christmas stock to the stores.

This was strange looking.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There's a Number of Freight Companies who haul and use WalMart Trailers.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I work for Wal-mart since I was forced off the road due to Epilepsy and we do not care which carrier brings us the loaded trailer as long as the sucker is still sealed and does not have a hole in the sucker.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
I work for Wal-mart since I was forced off the road due to Epilepsy and we do not care which carrier brings us the loaded trailer as long as the sucker is still sealed and does not have a hole in the sucker.
I work for Walmart too but AFAIK there has never been a company pulling the Wal-Mart general merchandise freight out of the Plainview, TX DC other than a Wal-Mart tractor.

Now on the grocery side, it's Swift dedicated that hauls the dry/fresh/frozen grocery though occasionally we have a load dropped off by a non-dedicated Swift driver (has no clue on what the procedures are).

All the dedicated trailers belonged to Merritt (Swift bought them out) and you occasionally see Merritt labels on the old trailers. The tractors are a mix of Swift Freightliner condos and ex-Merritt International 9200i's. In fact, our grocery recieving manager is a 20 year Associate and he still refers to the produce/meat trucks as "Merritt". The drivers who were with Merritt before Swift will knod when he asks "Merritt?" The Swift drivers who joined the fleet after the takeover get a confused look on their face.ops:

I was talking to a Swift O/O on the dedicated fleet who was an O/O under Merritt who told me about the "growing pains" of becoming a Swift driver. When the takeover was finalized, they all got a Qualcomm message that they now worked for Swift Transportation and they should make sure their ducks are in a row because their chances of being DOT'd just shot up 100%. Plus they were all to have their trucks governed to 65 mph per Swift policy (Merrit let the company trucks run 67, O/O run as fast as they wanted).

Wal-Mart also made a deal with Mesilla Valley Transport, a local trucking company here in Las Cruces, to haul Wal-Mart grocery loads from the DC in Los Lunas to Las Cruces and El Paso in order to get drivers to the home terminal from the Albuquerque area.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I've seen Schneider, USXpress, Swift and Werner pulling Wal Mart trailers. I just wish when I was at USX I could've been one of the drivers with their trailer.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

alot of companies haul dedicated out of any particular walmart DC..i know in pageland swift hauls the grocery and some dry.....in henderson NC schneider does the same
Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

just like all the container companies hauling for walmart(but you never see them) cause they are in a container---hudd distribution they take walmart freight in a container and offload into a walmart/schneider/usx/swift trailers......if you drive for a major company and have been around a while im sure you have been there