User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

Perhaps you should get some reading glasses, or perhaps take a remedial course in reading. For glasses, I recommend Lenscrafters, and for reading, I recommend Hooked on Phonics.

http://www.lenscrafters.com
http://www.hookedonphonics.com
L-M-A-O
Old 11-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I still don't remember a runaway ramp on Parley-Must have been sleeping but that is one Hill you DON'T sleep on :P
I think they put 80 over it for the Tourists
Old 11-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
:lol: :lol: :lol: Stop Rev; I can't even see straight, been laughin' too hard!
I apologize, but as long as they keep setting them up, I feel I have a "moral imperative" to bat them out of the park.

Here are some e-tissues for your eyes:

And if the pain of laughter gets to be too much:

Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

8)
Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I have always wondered how the triple digit cowboys know they are doing 110-115 I havent been in a ton of trucks but everyone I have been in has had a gauge that stops usualy at 85 mph
Old 11-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
I have always wondered how the triple digit cowboys know they are doing 110-115 I havent been in a ton of trucks but everyone I have been in has had a gauge that stops usualy at 85 mph
The gauge does not dictate the speed.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:51 PM

As to the initial question regarding how fast have you had your rig...

"On the advice of counsel I stand on the protection granted me by the fifth amendment of the United States Constitution and decline to answer on the grounds I may incriminate myself." You should all have that memorized cuz one day you may ALL need it!

Unless one is perfect and blameless we have all done something, probably many times which, upon calm reflection, we realise was not very wise. I applaud everyone here for their strong safety and professionalism oreinted stance, but answer me this: when the sign says speed limit 55 do you ALWAYS drive 55 or less?!? If you do you are a better man than I Gunga Din. I have always considered my self one of the safest drivers out there, not because "I am so damned good" but because I constantly think about it, live it and breathe it. It is not something you ARE it is something you must DO....actively....every second of every minute of every hour of every day out there...a single moments lapse at any time can be fatal.

My personal prectise is to drive the speed I consider safe...almost never exceeding the posted limit by more than 5mph (tickets cost more than just $$$ you know).

As to the issue of log accuracy, see my legal advice above, but HYPOTHETICALLY....back in the day it was common practise but is much too risky these days, especially with guys driving when they are WAYYY too tired and over hours to be anywhere close to safe. HOS notwithstanding, I have come off a 10 hour break, driven for two hours and felt so sleepy (for whatever reason) that I just pull it in and take a nap even though my log says I have 9 more good hours of driving available. Book larnin' ain't everything guys.

Adhere to the letter of the law as much as possible but it is to the spirit to which all true professionals should strive.

Runaway truck ramps: Rev is right, you will almost NEVER find a competent professional who knows his business on one of those, HOWEVER stuff does break now and again and I ALWAYS make it a point to know where the closest one is JUST IN CASE somethin' do break. A close friend of mine had a U-joint come apart going down a 12% grade...no jake then just "freewheelin" and foundation brakes to count on. Luckily he followed the first rule and was nt going so fast when it happened and had not been riding his service brakes so much that he was able to stop with plenty of air left and only smoked his brakes a little (no fire...just some bad smell). That is the first rule...ride that mountain down so that even if you lose it all you are not going so fast that you cannot take the ditch and live to talk about it. It deosn't really matter if the idiots pass you and give you the finger on the way down...you might see them on that ramp as you pass them later

"You can go down a mountain too slow a hundred times, but you might go down too fast only ONCE"...remember the most valuable cargo in that thing is YOUR BUTT!

One closing thought on high speed.....its fun in a Corvette (albeit still dangerous and illegal) but, if you have ever had a steer blow on you at 55 (as I have) and wrestled your way to the side so you can clean out your drawers imagine for a moment as you hit that triple digit..."what would happen if I lost a steer right NOW!"....perhaps low probability but non-zero nonetheless (and actually decidedly more likely considering the greater heat buildup and other stresses and strains that high speed driving places on tires)...you will be toast my brother!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah what he said
Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Default hmm

who really gives two shits let alone one. nobody cares that you drove 115 miles and you were a trainer.. WOW whooptee dooo... The fact that you say I ran legal... we didn't ask you volunteered.. pretty much just my opinion but a stupid dang post.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
The gauge does not dictate the speed.
Yeah, i realize that the gauge does not dictate the speed but in the even that you get up to 85, anything after that is just speculation as to how fast you are really going, so my question of how do these guys get their numbers when they claim they have done triple digits still stands.....my guess is they dont really know.