User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

[color=#810541ost_uid0]Hey Doc: That's a Good one, where in the world do you get these stories, I would like to look up the site and read a few myself.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 AM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

[color=#000080ost_uid0]Doc, these stories are great. Keep'em coming! :bowdown:

And if I'm not mistaken, these stories are directly from Doc's own storied history.[/colorost_uid0]

Edited By Twilight Flyer on 1042105612

Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:times'>Thanks Flyer as I mentioned before, if I keep this up there will be nothing left to publish!!

Zodiac, with the exception of the very first post, all the stories are from my personal journal and I've been attempting to put them into book form. Not to add anymore confusion, Groucho was another screen name I was using back in the summer!!
It makes me happy that folks are enjoying a little levity in printed form, although I do have some not so amusing stories as well.</span>[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Board Regular

[color=#810541ost_uid0]Thanks Doc, for the Amusement of one not real sure on how to act towards these stories. But if these are your Personals I can't wait to Read the Book if you decide to print one. :aktion074:[/colorost_uid0]

Edited By ZODIAC54 on 1042137525
Old 01-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:courier'>I was negotiating a book deal with a publisher in North Carolina, but do to some items I wouldn't agree with I'm afraid the deal has stalled. Oh well, there will be other publishers...

Now as far as how to react, well the stories are written for the enjoyment of others and it shows there is a humourous side to this profession. When you get on your own bring a notebook or laptap or voice recorder and keep your own journal, document the good and the bad you'll be amazed at how much really goes on that the general public is not aware of.
I used to carry my 35mm camara with me and tried to include photos with the stories. I had 10 books full of photos, but they were all destroyed in a house fire...My brother also had reminded me just recently there is a video tape or 2 starring the infamous Chemical Brothers, hmmm the rusty wheels are turning!!!
Enjoy the tales of a slightly demented aging trucker and I figure within a year you'll have some amusing tales of your own to tell</span>[/colorost_uid0]

Old 01-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-family:courier'>Now that's as cold as a Witches.....sorry the XYL saw what I was writing...

As promised.....Lightning and the Volvo!

As I mentioned earlier, the Chemical Brothers were placed in seperate trucks, I first started out with an "Ancient" Volvo for about a month, then I was blessed with a new 1995 Volvo, #2036, nothing to rave about it still was a Volvo. It had it's shakedown run going to Chicago and then to Houston. It wasn't too bad and it was radio friendly! Fast Forward..

Around the late summer or so the Chemical Brothers were dispatched to Nashville, TN to help out with dedicated runs for Dupont out of their Old Hickory plant. One run went to Circleville, OH, one to Mt. Vernon, IN, one to Deepwater, NJ and the last went to Houston, TX.
I was on the return leg of a Circleville load, when a severe thunderstorm popped up. The lightning was really intense and quite frequent. I was, as usual, reporting everything I saw to a Sky Warn operator. I had just finished my report when there was a bright flash and then the truck DIED, I rolled to the side of the Interstate and parked under a bridge. I sat in the seat looking around for any smoke, nothing. I tried to restart the engine, again nothing!
Well, panic didn't set in, but I was getting quite concerned. I sat on the side of the road for about 30 minutes watching the rain fall dreading the inevitable walk down the highway to the next exit. Didn't really care for the walk, so I tried to crank the truck just once more and lo and behold the thing started and everything started working again. I took it to the shop when I got back and the mechanics couldn't find a thing. The conclusion was the lightning caused an overload and shut it down!! DUH!!!!!

Three weeks later I got the "privilege" of running to Houston. I was strolling along I-10 at the Louisana/Texas border and wound up in another thunderstorm and as most folks know, thunderstorms in Louisana are nothing short of spectacular. I really didn't think much about the storm until, bright flash and the sudden sensation of no power steering and no engine noise crept over me..."Not again!!!" I yelled as I rolled silently to the side of the Interstate. A Louisana Highway Patrolperson stopped and called for a wrecker. I told the officer what had transpired and he told me he knew someone that could locate the problem. "Yeah" I said "the guy up above who keeps hitting me with lighning!!!"
Help did arrive and the truck was towed to an old shop, the mechanic had to be about 100 years old pulled the hood and went right to work. 10 minutes later he tells me he found the problem and that the computer box had to be replaced. It seemed that the folks at Volvo decided that grounding was not neccesary, but it was!!!!
The mechanic went and got a new box, programmed it and I was on my way in less than 3 hours.
When I got back to Nashville, the company shop people checked the guys work and gave it their seal of approval. What they didn't check was the programming and I wasn't about to tell them. I ended up with one of the fastest "Company" Volvos. It stayed that way after I had left the company until it was wrecked in 1998 due to a roll over!

That's all for now</span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span>[/colorost_uid0]

Edited By Doctor Who on 1042913215

Old 01-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-family:courier'>As promised....The Dreaded "BIRDDOG" Thread.....

As most drivers know anyone who drives a commercial vehicle is not, by a bogus law, permitted to have Radar Detectors. Most are also aware that a few states, Virginia, Ohio and one or two others have had a ban for quite sometime..
With that in mind sit back and imagine if you will a dark, cold evening in 1994 a slow assed Freightliner struggling to climb the hill on I-77 near the Big Walker Tunnel in Virginia. The brother was driving and I was trying to sleep. Now, as anyone who has run as a team after a while the driver in the sleeper gets to know the different sounds of the truck in their sleep, I am no exception.
I could tell the truck was having a problem climbing the hill and that my brother was getting frustrated, then I heard the two words no co-driver wants to hear "Oh Sh*t"
Then a few well placed explatives, I thought maybe the driveline let go and he'd be waking me up in a moment, so I tried to make the best of what little sleep I could get. As I drifted off I heard voices, I figured there was another driver who had stopped and was talking to my brother.
This is where it gets good..
I heard the passenger door open and then a lot of rustling, really didn't think much of it, then I heard the sleeper curtain open and felt something touching me and then a bright light was shining in my face...I jumped and I saw a figure reaching for something on their hip...I asked "What are you going to do, shoot me????" When my eyesight focused I saw a Sheriffs Deputy pointing his 9mm at me. "Just what in #### are you doing in my truck???"
The Deputy said he was looking for a radar detector. I asked him if he had found one and he said no. I told him he was violating my privacy and he needed to get out. Then he tried to defend his actions by claiming his radar detector detector alerted him to the fact that the slowassed Freightliner had a radar detector. That agitated me more, I came out of the sleeper and told him if that was true than he needed to get his equipment checked or trash it. He got really defensive, but I didn't back off. I pointed to the dash board and told him the equipment stacked up was Amateur radio equipment and the frequencies were nowhere near the X or K bands that radar is on, which meant that his equipment was faulty and if he kept insisting I would take the time to come up to his county file a complaint and drag his ass into court.
Then there was a pregnant pause. After a minute I told the Deputy to get out of my truck, he didn't argue he got out and walked over to the drivers side and told my brother to "Get the piece of sh*t out of here!!!"

My brother got back in the truck and looked at me and swore that he didn't think the cop would actually get in the truck. I wouldn't look at him, I just told him the next time, if there is one, he don't let anyone in the truck, or you inform who ever it is your co-driver is sleeping, that'll end any argument before it starts!!!!!
I also told him I was telling Mom on him!!!!

Next, the Kentucky Scale Cop and the Scanner</span>[/colorost_uid0]

Edited By Doctor Who on 1043405173

Old 01-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-family:courier'>The Kentucky Scale Cop and The Scanner

Before 1995, a few states had a ban on police scanners in POVs, Kentucky and New Jersey were among these states.
After unloading and reloading at GE in Mt. Vernon, IN June 30 1995, the Chemical Brothers headed back towards Kentucky and the Pennyrile Parkway. Just before we crossd the state line I pulled over. My brother asked what I was doing, I told him I was waiting for Midnight. He asked why and I told him to sit back and watch.
When my watch showed all zeros I proceeded across the line into Kentucky knowing the Port of Entry was open. I pulled onto the scale and waited for the stuff to quit rocking, the scale cop told me to park it and bring my paperwork, logbook and the scanner into the scalehouse, we weren't over weight, but I took the papers and the logbook in. The cop asked me where the scanner was and I told him I didn't have one and he called me a liar and said he saw it on the dash of the truck, I told him he was wrong and that what he saw was my Amateur equipment. He got real beligerant and I told him to call his supervisor. Well, the supervisor came out of his office and listened to the scale cop and then listened to what i had to say, I showed him my Extra class Amateur license and told him all the equipment in the truck is legal. The supervisor said that some pieces of "Ham" gear can be used as a scanner and that was illegal in Kentucky, I looked up at the clock and mentioned it was 0015 July 1, the supervisor asked why was that relevent and I said that the scanner law is now repealed as of 0001 July 1.
Well, the supervisor made a phone call and after 10 minutes he hung up, told the scale cop to let me go and that he should go home. As I left the office the supervisor followed me out asking if he could look at the equipment, I told him I was running team and that if my co-driver was sleeping I couldn't allow him in the truck. When we got to the truck my brother was standing outside so I let the supervisor look at the radios and actually had him make a few contacts. Some were rather close, but what impressed him was the Australian trucker he talked to. "Is he really in Australia?" I told him the driver was indeed Down Under and that I talked to them just about every night when I was behind the wheel.
The supervisor was amazed and said he was going to get his license. I don't know if he ever did!!!!

Next up: The Kentucky Super Scale and the inspector with a hammer!!!! Just a hint, it was the same trip</span>[/colorost_uid0]

Edited By Doctor Who on 1043492086

Old 01-26-2003, 05:06 AM
Board Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Another Great story Doc..Thanks for making me laugh.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

[color=#8D38C9ost_uid0]<span style='font-family:courier'>Your welcome Bullet!!!!!

See below for the continuing saga.....</span>[/colorost_uid0]