User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
This chick had her hands in everything, well almost everything!

Boy, if that's not a leading statement, nothing is
:lol:

Speaking of white outs, I remember distinctly one occasion when several of us were eastbound over Elk Mountain. We were in a blinding white out due to blowing snow, snow and high winds. The roads were snow covered and icy but passable. The three of us were navigating the mountain in what we figured to be a safe speed - probably around 35 to 40 mph and since we were using the reflective snow sticks on the shoulder as a guide to staying on the blvd, we made our way carefully. As we rounded a curve and started up another grade, two chicken haulers blew our doors off and one of them announced on the radio....'if you guys can't drive in this, then you should park it'.....not one of us issued a reply. We just kept plugging away up the hill in this nasty white out. About two miles up the road, we observed one of the chicken trucks in the median and the other off the right side headed down a nasty slope. The old boy having the front door, keyed his mike and announced, 'well, I see you guys took your own advice and parked them since you obviously can't drive in this stuff'......

Only 955 to go and this is reply #250 - how about them apples, Doc?Drumroll... :!: :!: :!: ........
Old 08-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician_73
Quote:
This chick had her hands in everything, well almost everything!

[color=green]Boy, if that's not a leading statement, nothing is
:lol:

Only 955 to go and this is reply #250 - how about them apples, Doc?Drumroll... :!: :!: :!: ........
Actually it isn't, the boss was the one who was caught with his hands on the red haired secretary! The wife wanted the company but the boss closed it before the divorce was settled. Oh by the way the red haired girl wasn't the little one Charlie Brown was in love with, she was definately very "healthy" :shock:

The snow storm incident sounds real familiar but I don't think it was in Wyoming... Oh wait a similar incident occurred coming off of Snowshoe in Pa.

And the countdown continues!!!!

Old 08-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Here's the rest of the boss and the red haired secretary...

The end of the line came in 1994 after the boss was caught with the red haired secretary, although no one knew what was going to transpire until they found the gate locked and no one in the old farm house we used as the office. I was one of the last to find out.

I met up with one of the few lease operators the company had at the Flying J in Haw River, NC. He asked me if I had noticed anything strange with the dispatches or the folks back in NJ. I told him I had given up trying to figure out dispatch years ago. He also said that his pay was not right either; now that was a surprise, in the entire time I was with the company the pay was always accurate and the lease operator was with them a few years before I started. I couldn?t give him an answer, I just suggested he call Chuk, the owner, and find out what was going on. ?Ron? said that he tried and the prevailing attitude had changed and the boss was never available to take any calls.

I didn?t know what to tell him. We finished fueling and went our separate ways; ?Ron? went on to Greensboro while I drove up to Henderson, NC unloaded at Variety Wholesale. I called dispatch and was told to make a pick up at Iams Pet Food, I asked if the load was for the boss?s wife, the dispatcher hung up on me. ?Not a good sign!? I thought as I drove to the plant. I called my wife and told her I was heading to NJ and I would be back home by Friday.

Trailer loaded I was on my way up 85 towards NJ, still not having any clue as to what was about to transpire. I delivered the pet food load to Super Markets General (Path-Mark) in Woodbridge, I called dispatch and no one answered the phone. I didn?t want to wait so I grabbed a bagel with cream cheese and a coffee and drove to the yard. I drove the truck up the dirt driveway only to find the gate closed and locked and a Middlesex County Sheriffs Deputy standing near the gate. He came up to the truck and told me to hand him the keys. I asked him why and I was told he was to take the keys from all the company trucks and I was the last of them to come in. Well, I couldn?t argue with someone with a gun so I stepped out and told him the truck was his. His partner and I stood near the patrol car and watched, no make that laugh, as the deputy proceeded to stall the Freightliner* 4 times. He finally gave up and asked me to drive the truck through the gate and then hand him the keys. I asked if I could have some time to take all my personal property out of the truck, he agreed and an hour later I had everything out. I called my brother from the yard phone. He came to get me and said he knew about the shut down.
?Fine!? I said ?Just when was he planning to let me know?? I ended up taking the train home and yes I did make it home on Friday!!!!

The boss did apologize and said it was something he had to do to keep his soon to be EX from getting the only possession he cared about. I told him he was not stable at all and that he owed me $1500 for the loads.
I never did get the money and the boss died earlier this year. The odd part about this I remained friends with him until the end?.

*Oh Yeah, he finally took the W-900 away from me in 1992 after a hard battle trying to get me to give it up

Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Not sure how many ?freight? haulers have experienced the dreaded P.O. Box for a delivery address but at times it can be really annoying, especially when there isn?t a phone number to go along with the consignee?s name.
This is usually a plague amongst LTL carriers but over the years of truck load I had a few.

Not too long ago I had a 10 stop LTL run and out of the 10 three had P.O.Boxes as an address and one of them was a guaranteed type delivery, which meant the freight had to be there at a certain time. I managed to get addresses for two of the ?boxes? but number three was turning out to be a real pain in the steering wheel. (Bet you thought I was going to say ass, didn't you?)
Finally in a fit of frustration and a passion for oddball humour I pulled into a large postal complex and backed to the dock. I walked inside the building and found a postal employee and asked if she could take 8 skids of freight. She was not amused when she walked out to the dock and saw what was on the skids. I gave her the freight bill and explained that this was the address I was to deliver at. She immediately took the bill, made two phone calls and handed it back to me with a proper address and phone number, she also told me that the consignee was a real thrill to deal with but that was the first time a trucker actually attempted to deliver the freight to the post office. I asked her what made her so sure I was a trucker. Her response gave a whole new meaning to ?Going Postal!?
I didn?t get to ask her what the second phone call was for but I found out real quick when I got back in the cab and found an evil message on the Qual-Comm stating in so many words not to try a stunt like that again. I innocently sent a reply asking ?What stunt??
Needless to say I received two screens full of a response and a lot of it I can?t repeat.

There are times I really do miss running LTL, it always made for an interesting, if not, educational day!!!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:20 PM

Only 670 to go Doc....clock's still ticking :!:
Old 08-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Senior Board Member

OH WOW!!! THE CLOCK STOPPED....

It has to be the angry Gnomes again!!!! :shock: :shock:

HOT DAMN PAGE 18

Old 08-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Just an addendum to the Post Office story: I also did the same thing with a tank trailer....

We are not all bad!

About a year or so ago I was riding with my daughter when she spotted a cat that had been hurt, we figured it had been hit by a car. Before I could say anything she whipped the car into the center turn lane and jumped out I looked behind me and saw a South Eastern Motor Freight truck behind us, he locked up his brakes and threw the four ways on. I thought he was going to go ballistic because of my daughter did, so I stepped out of the car to head him off but he was just as equally concerned about the poor cat. He talked with my daughter and handed her $25 to help with the Vet bills, she, in turn, gave him our phone number.

We took the cat to the Vet and got her all patched up and then we brought her home, unfortunately we already had three cats and they made sure they let the new cat know she was in the wrong neighbourhood.
Later that evening we got a call from the SEMF driver and he asked if we named the cat Lucky and I told him no we named her Lady Romanaveratrulunder and continued; besides you can name a cat anything you want they won?t come when you call them. He asked if we were going to keep her and I told him no we couldn?t. I gave him directions to my house and he and his daughter came and ?adopted? the cat.

I saw the driver yesterday and he told me ?Romana? was doing fine.

The above is an excerpt from an editorial/letter to the editor I had written in response to an Anti-Truck editorial in the local paper.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:22 PM

Hey Doc, only 338 to go :!: :!: And the clock is ticking away ....tick...tick....tock!!!!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Clocks.... That's a great song!!!!

Old 08-07-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Clocks.... That's a great song!!!!
Never heard of it :!: Think we're down to 308 and at this rate, we'll hit the ' 10,000 before labor day :!: