User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What would you do?

Recently, my 2 year medical certification came due. For reasons of ADD, some depression, and generally being the world's best procrastinator... I let it get too close to get an appointment with my regular doctor at the V.A. (some of you may know how long this takes.)

So... I called my "other" personal doctor, and couldn't get an appointment on a Monday (the only day I have at home besides Sunday) in time to meet the deadline.

So... I walked in at a local PROMED facility... you probably know the type. But... they seem to do LOTS of Fedex physicals all over the Carolinas!

But, when it came to "turn my head and cough," the doctor discovered the same hernia I'd had two years ago when my doctor said, "ya got a LITTLE hernia there.... we'll have to keep an eye on it."

Then, this young doctor told me it was a "disqualifier" and had to be fixed before he could give me a med card!" I was too flumoxed to argue with him, and managed to get a 3 month card out of him.

Since then, I've researched the med qualifications for drivers AND for doctors. It is clear that he is WRONG! A minor hernia, that doesn't affect my ability to drive a truck, does NOT disqualify me... nor even require a shorter term med cert!

So.... do I go back to him and "school" him? Or just go to another doctor and get another physical?

I've already checked with my company, and they would have no problem "updating" my file with a new "cert."

I don't LIKE to have to confront a doctor with the fact that he didn't read and/or understand the regulations. But... I paid my money!

I'm still gonna have a problem getting in to see my V.A. doctor in time, but finally called and made another appt. with my NON-V.A. family doctor.

But, time is running out.... and my A.D.D. makes it very hard to get "done" what needs to be done.

What would you do?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I would print out the rules, and go back for the card that you already paid for. It may help if you do this on your way to a ball game, and just happen to walk in with the bat in hand
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
I would print out the rules, and go back for the card that you already paid for. It may help if you do this on your way to a ball game, and just happen to walk in with the bat in hand
Another A.D.D. problem. I have no working printer at home. I was going to go print "them" out at my Dad's today... but, he went to play golf. Yeah, I know.... not a good excuse. I should be able to figure out how to print from his computer without him being there.

I'm not sure it matters, though. If I decide to go "challenge" the doctor, I'm pretty sure he has a computer and I can bring up all the regs I need to for him to read.

But... that IS kinda the way I was leaning. I don't need a bat. I'm armed with the truth. Besides... I read the reg that alllows them to do such physicals! They would lose quite a bit of income IF I mounted a challenge against them with the DOT.

The problem is... and I'm sure SOME here will find it hard to believe... but, I really don't like confrontations. Especially ones where I am forced to prove that I am (and always WAS) right, and they are wrong!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Is your VA or personal doctor in the federal registry?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Is your VA or personal doctor in the federal registry?
Actually doesn't matter as that requirement doesn't take effect until 2014. [Just read that today. Don't make me prove it.]

Both have done DOT physicals for me before.

So... assuming they ARE... what would you do?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Even though i shouldn't"assume" i figured fedex would only be using them already. Even though voluntary at this time. I'm suprised that they would accept another physical unless it specifically addressed the problem from the first doctor. You know,liability.

Other than that get another doctor to argue the case and the original to change his finding. Thats why this is going into effect,to keep someone from finding a doctor that ignores something. You don't need that in your file(as long as you work there)

What,you didn't think i know when this goes into effect?

Last edited by chris1; 12-10-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: additional
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Even though i shouldn't"assume" i figured fedex would only be using them already. Even though voluntary at this time. I'm suprised that they would accept another physical unless it specifically addressed the problem from the first doctor. You know,liability.
Fedex GROUND is all "independent contractors." I think they want as little responsibility (plausible denial) as possible. Under the new laws, the company doesn't need to have the long form on file... just a copy of the certificate we carry with us. If I give them a NEW med cert to "copy" on file... they don't need (or care) to know if I fixed the problem or not. They just "override" the cert on file.

Quote:
Other than that get another doctor to argue the case and the original to change his finding.
That would be the simplest thing. MY doctor knew about my hernia 2 years ago, and didn't "find" it to be a disqualifier. No "argument" needed.... just another physical and another CARD. Under current regs, the original findings don't have to be "disputed," just over-ridden.

Wait.... you missed my point. It's a choice between having the "original" doctor to change his finding.... or get a new physical by a doctor who understands that the regs don't consider a "minor hernia" as a disqualifier.

Quote:
Thats why this is going into effect,to keep someone from finding a doctor that ignores something. You don't need that in your file(as long as you work there)
Well, I think there's more to it.... but, I'll accept your interpretation for now.

Quote:
What,you didn't think i know when this goes into effect
I wouldn't DARE deign to think that you didn't know everything there was to know! It's just that THIS time... you didn't know more than me. LOL!

But, I thank you for your opinion.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM

hobo, grab your balls and dill with it. call or go see that doc and show were he has miss understood the reg and ask if he can update you to 2yers. its you job and you need to man up or move on... hobo dont mean to be a ass but dude its your job and you watted so now fix it,

hobo.....now!!!! get on the dame phone call that doc and talk to him like a man.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogBook View Post
hobo, grab your balls and dill with it. call or go see that doc and show were he has miss understood the reg and ask if he can update you to 2yers. its you job and you need to man up or move on... hobo dont mean to be a ass but dude its your job and you watted so now fix it,

hobo.....now!!!! get on the dame phone call that doc and talk to him like a man.
Too funny! Hobo, you cannot and should not argue with this man. He's got you figured out.

And seriously, you paid the piper. You get to listen to the music. (or something like that, butchering metaphors doesn't pay well but I enjoy it).

Confront the overpaid ignoramus. He needs to be schooled for the sake of everyone else that goes to see him. You'll know you did the right thing.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Fedex GROUND is all "independent contractors." I think they want as little responsibility (plausible denial) as possible. Under the new laws, the company doesn't need to have the long form on file... just a copy of the certificate we carry with us. If I give them a NEW med cert to "copy" on file... they don't need (or care) to know if I fixed the problem or not. They just "override" the cert on file.

So they are using the states CDLIS? That means the state has a copy of the long form. There is a time limit for certain things in a DQ file. Most keep everything as long as you're employed there.

That would be the simplest thing. MY doctor knew about my hernia 2 years ago, and didn't "find" it to be a disqualifier. No "argument" needed.... just another physical and another CARD. Under current regs, the original findings don't have to be "disputed," just overruled

Wait.... you missed my point. It's a choice between having the "original" doctor to change his finding.... or get a new physical by a doctor who understands that the regs don't consider a "minor hernia" as a disqualifier.

Wouldn't you feel better if it was deemed wrong?

Well, I think there's more to it.... but, I'll accept your interpretation for now.

There were many white/type certs,you can order blank ones.

I wouldn't DARE deign to think that you didn't know everything there was to know! It's just that THIS time... you didn't know more than me. LOL!

We started accepting only medicals from "our" doctor(s) that have an ID# in the registry a while back. Just suprised fedex isn't. You know i just love sitting at those FMCSA seminars twice a month.

But, I thank you for your opinion.
Enough things in this industry that you can't get changed,when there is something that you can i would do it.