User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I wouldn't worry about getting paid, it's not like he's dealing with thousands of dollars here. At 5%, the most he would lose would be $100 bucks on a $2,000 load so then you don't deal with that person again. My guess is that it wouldn't take long before he had the max amount of people he could handle and if it worked out, he wouldn't have a high turnover rate with his carriers.

I'm not sure how many people one dispatcher could handle. I would imagine 3 carriers all needing a load in the same day would be one hell of a task trying to line something up for all 3 that same morning. Your talking to both the broker/shipper and the carrier at the same time for 3 people within lets say a 3 hour window from 9 to 12 in the morning. You could try to setup the loads in advance but from my experience the action takes place the day of the load.

Not sure if you have any hair on your head Mike but if you do, it won't last long.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I wouldn't worry about getting paid, it's not like he's dealing with thousands of dollars here. At 5%, the most he would lose would be $100 bucks on a $2,000 load so then you don't deal with that person again. My guess is that it wouldn't take long before he had the max amount of people he could handle and if it worked out, he wouldn't have a high turnover rate with his carriers.

I'm not sure how many people one dispatcher could handle. I would imagine 3 carriers all needing a load in the same day would be one hell of a task trying to line something up for all 3 that same morning. Your talking to both the broker/shipper and the carrier at the same time for 3 people within lets say a 3 hour window from 9 to 12 in the morning. You could try to setup the loads in advance but from my experience the action takes place the day of the load.
Not sure if you have any hair on your head Mike but if you do, it won't last long.
Actually..that is the good thing about having the cpacity to commit to steady shippers. There are shippers out there, whom will pay for trucks to deadhead back to a plant, when their product is running hot and heavy. The thing about getting those shippers, is having the capacity, which is why JB, Knight, USX, Yellow, FEDEX, and so many others, have bought out, merged with, or flat out priced competition out of existance.

I don't know how many trucks G is running right now..I'm thinking 5. He knows what he can do for shippers with those trucks, and I bet he knows other shippers he could sign on with, if he had three times that many trucks. The beauty of something like this is, is the versatility that can be afforded. Say you got a group of flatbedders all working together, then G runs into a shipper that needs dry vans. Find out what the $$$$$ would look like, then rent a group of dry vans to work that particular account, with some of the flatbedders parking their skates for the necessary amount of time. If the $$$$ proved worht while, you buy dry vans, or sign on a group of dry van operators. Same theory would apply to reefers. LOL...get enough solo operators working in unison, and then you have a heck of a CO-OP.

Of course..this whole line of thought is predicated on a lot of single unit operations, like yours Steve, being willing to work together with G !!
Not so easy on the face of it.

Just my opinion there.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 AM

I may be wrong here but I don't think so. I don't think GMAN has a bunch of shippers in his back pocket. I know he works off load boards like the rest of us and I'm assuming he'll be doing the same if he goes with the dispatch service. I'm sure he has some shippers but having a truck in the same area as a shipper that has a load is pretty slim unless he has 2 shippers he can run back and forth with. And, if that were the case, he would be doing it himself instead of roaming around like the rest of us.

I'm playing Devils Advocate here but I think all the Mike is offering is to do the same thing that I do every week with the exception of doing it better than I do. Better negotiation and a lot less stress. He's not coming to the table offering shippers with $3.00 per mile loads.

What would I expect from GMAN??

I would expect to get maybe $.10 cents per mile more than I could have got. No stress in finding a load and a quicker turn around. AND...Once in a while, a big bonus as in I'm in an area that he has a shipper and I get the big dollar load.

Oh, and a blue mask.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Id sign up in a heart-beat this suxs waiting here calling brokers for my next load n getting treated like dirt :-p
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Id sign up in a heart-beat this suxs waiting here calling brokers for my next load n getting treated like dirt :-p

Well, then sign up with the people below until Mike gets rolling. You have NOTHING to lose. Fill out the paper work and fax it in, or, sit there and bitch.

www.personaldispatcher.com
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

Well, then sign up with the people below until Mike gets rolling. You have NOTHING to lose. Fill out the paper work and fax it in, or, sit there and bitch.

Hmmm rather sit at this truck stop n bitch he-he
Well really tho thks Steve.....added them to my favorites list n wont hurt to call there 888# in the morning eh?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm rather sit at this truck stop n bitch he-he
Well really tho thks Steve.....added them to my favorites list n wont hurt to call there 888# in the morning eh?
I didn't say bitch to be mean, just talking to you like one of the guys.

If you have a fax in your truck then print out their form NOW, fax it in NOW, then call in the morning.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Oh, and a blue mask.
OMG I missed that remark....it was so funny...if I sign up i want a courtesy mask too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Board Regular

All that discussion about Gman getting paid -. Sheez, he said you cough up the credit card then you get the load.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Only thing I can see that needs to be addressed, is G-man getting paid. Now...if all those prospective trucks leased into G...why then he handles all the funds directly and does not need to get anymore authority. If he handles the situation like a brokerage, and receives all the revenues, then sends out checks after his cut, then he would in fact be a broker, and need to set up that authority.

So G would need to make certain that he only signs on those whom he knows are going to send him his percentage, and trust that they will do so in a timely manner. Of course...all those Operators could trust in G, allow him to be the receivables collector, without the brokerage authority, and send them their check every week.

Ain't it fun looking at the business side of life ???

This is one thing that I am trying to work out. If I do this, I don't want to get into a long billing cycle. I would prefer to book a load and get paid at the same time. If I start billing then that would require additional bookkeeping and time. This is a major area which will determine whether I will do this. Unfortunately, one reason so many owners and drivers have poor credit is that they aren't home to get their bills. If they don't get their bills and/or get home in a timely fashion, then they could be late paying things. For the amount of money I think it would be cleaner to just book and pay for the dispatch services at the same time. Right now I could take Comcheck, T-Check, TCH, etc., but am looking at credit or debit cards as an alternative. Right now, there are several details to consider before making a final decision.