User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
It would have to be ABOVE my take-home net.
Why? If you could pay someone to do all the legwork and still take home the same money, isn't that a better deal? Less work, same pay. Seems like a no-brainer. But you made my point.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
I'm going to guess you have a hell of a lot of contacts, correct?

Mostly for flat/stepdeck?

Do you have any good Canadian contacts? I wouldn't be able to haul point to point in the states. But I love hauling international freight.

Allan, I do have some contacts. Most I keep for flats or steps but quite a few of them have other types of freight. I have turned down quite a bit of van freight because I don't own any vans. About a year ago I thought about getting a van. I received a call from some people who had a dedicated run that paid pretty well. I think it was $2/mile with no deadhead. The truck would load and unload at the same place on each end. If I had a driver to do the run I would have bought a van.

I don't have a lot of contacts in Canada. I used to run up there but just got tired of the border hassle. If it weren't for that I would probably still haul up there. I always like running up there once I got past the border. I still have a company up there that still calls me from time to time. One problem we have in the lower 48 in doing business in Canada is the delay in receiving payment.

It just takes time and some initiative to establish contacts. I don't haul for anyone without first checking them out. That takes a little time, but is worth the effort. I don't want to haul anything unless I have some strong assurances that I will receive my money.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
G-man...something I am sure you have considered...having a handfull of trucks that you provide dispatch services for...increases the size of available deckspace you can offer to a potential "new" customer.

Gives you a leg up on getting those orders you would otherwise not be eligible for!

I have considered that, Orangetxguy. Sometimes you can get into an account or better rates when you have additional capacity. I have had a few instances where I could have gotten in the door of a shipper if I could have handled additional capacity. Some are reluctant to commit to a one or two truck operation. You cannot guarantee that you can meet their needs. That is one reason that a lot of shippers deal with brokers. They can provide the capacity or trucks.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Quote:
It would have to be ABOVE my take-home net.
Why? If you could pay someone to do all the legwork and still take home the same money, isn't that a better deal? Less work, same pay. Seems like a no-brainer. But you made my point.

Why not? I have to have something to do besides just sitting and driving. :lol: So far it hasn't taken a whole lot of legwork to find reasonable freight and it gives me something to do. :lol: For the same amount of money I would rather do it myself,but that is just me. If I was going to profit higher after the dispatch fees,regardless of what they are,than I would definitely consider it. There were a few carriers charging 15% to just run under their authority without having to buy cargo and liability insurance but their rates were horrible. So far I have done better without having to rely on anyone to do anything for me. There was one carrier out in Nv. that was charging 10% to do all the dispatching for independents. When I asked them what their independents were averaging they said 1.45 a mile. :roll: That is simply not enough to average on with today's expenses and fuel prices. If Gman does indeed have a freight base to keep me moving than I have no problem with his fees,but so far I have yet to find a dispatch service that can do better than I can.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:15 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

A dispatch service deals with load boards and brokers just like most of us do. They just do the leg work on setting up your loads and are probably better at negotiating than you are. That's all. To me, that would be worth it instead of trying to drive and setup my next load.

I'm sure GMAN or any other dispatch service isn't promising you big dollar loads. Their just doing all the crap that you don't have time for.

To all of you who don't have your own authority and book your own loads, it's a pain sometimes and very stressful.

Wouldn't it be nice to just drive and answer the phone from your personal dispatcher with a choice of loads?

GMAN: Hi Steve, how about a load of onions.

Steve: Bite me (hangup)

GMAN: Hi Steve, got a 58,000 pound load of lumber to the Bronx.

Steve: Ha ha ha (hangup)
Old 11-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Board Regular

Steve: Ha ha ha (hangup

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I have dealt with one dispatcher up in Canada who seems pretty good.

He books me a good load for a fee then won't tell me how to pay him.

Dr. Rankinstein Dispatch Service or something like that. I think he dispatches one truck successfully then celebrates by getting totally sheeet faced on Molson, watches Terrance and Philip re-runs then forgets who the driver was.
LMAO you kill me
Old 11-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
A dispatch service deals with load boards and brokers just like most of us do. They just do the leg work on setting up your loads and are probably better at negotiating than you are. That's all. To me, that would be worth it instead of trying to drive and setup my next load.

I'm sure GMAN or any other dispatch service isn't promising you big dollar loads. Their just doing all the crap that you don't have time for.

To all of you who don't have your own authority and book your own loads, it's a pain sometimes and very stressful.

Wouldn't it be nice to just drive and answer the phone from your personal dispatcher with a choice of loads?

Steve: Ha ha ha (hangup)

The two advantages I can see is that it frees up your time to drive and the dispatcher should have better negotiating skills. Some people don't like to deal with either. It is like fuel taxes. Fuel taxes aren't that difficult to do, but takes a little time. Some people would prefer to pay someone to do their fuel taxes rather than spend the extra time at the end of the quarter to do it themselves. Some people don't mind hunting loads and doing all the paperwork. They enjoy the negotiating aspect of this business. With others, it is a real chore. They would prefer hauling cheaper loads than deal with the stress of negotiating for the best rates.

Now....about those onions, Steve. :P
Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Board Regular

I would charge high because I think a lot of your customers won't have a list of brokers.
And really need your service right away.
You should cater to people who are desperate or don't have a clue
And put a premium on your service
We all know it is impossible to make truck drivers happy
and difficult to make money off a truck driver
(anyone have a shower ticket? etc)
Hit them right away because you have to assume they will be leaving sooner or later.
If I posted I was using a dispatching service
What do you think the advice would be?
Charge high.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The two advantages I can see is that it frees up your time to drive and the dispatcher should have better negotiating skills. Some people don't like to deal with either. It is like fuel taxes. Fuel taxes aren't that difficult to do, but takes a little time. Some people would prefer to pay someone to do their fuel taxes rather than spend the extra time at the end of the quarter to do it themselves. Some people don't mind hunting loads and doing all the paperwork. They enjoy the negotiating aspect of this business. With others, it is a real chore. They would prefer hauling cheaper loads than deal with the stress of negotiating for the best rates.

Now....about those onions, Steve. :P
Yup, exactly, except for the onions!!!