User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which truck would you buy?

I am narrowing down my new truck purchase. These are my possible trucks to choose from. All are 1850 tq unless noted otherwise. All are pre emission. All include FET or do not require it.

I found these
1) 07 kenworth T800 cat 475 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 114,950.
2) 07 International 9900 IX 500 cat or ISX 13 speed premium interior and specs asking price 112,000 or 114,000 for cat engine.
3) 07 (used but repos with very low miles 1000 or below)Pete 386 ISX 475 1650 tq 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 116,000.
4) 07 international 9400 ISX 475 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 107,500

These are decent deals and are still negotiable. I have no particular preference except that I do like the room in the International cabs. All of these trucks have 70 inch bunks.

What if any discount have you guys been able to negotiate below the asking price from the dealership? What would you pay for the warranty extension on engine and driveline beyond the standard?

Forgot to mention aero means very little I will be pulling tanks and they don't do that great with the platforms, hose racks, ladders, etc. I do like the looks of the 386 but the aero advantages are insignificant to the choice.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Which truck would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
1) 07 kenworth T800 cat 475 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 114,950.
That would be my choice, if the other specs suits you! What kind of rears, and tire size?
#2 ain't too bad either!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Board Regular

Probably should have put some of that but the post would have been very long.

All the trucks are pretty much the same rears range from 355 to 373 depending on engine and tire size. Tank specs are a good bit different because of average weight so rears need to be a little deeper. I am trying to stay with tall rubber and 24's where I can to maintain the fifth wheel height I need. The 9900 IX for example have 24.5 tall rubber and 373 rears. Good setup as it gives a 51 inch fifth wheel but I can just get longer legs for the fifth if the truck has shorter tires.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Which truck would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
I have had very bad luck with Internationals specifically the 9900 with an ISX. Fit and finish was not the greatest and was always chasing rattles and squeaks. But some have had great luck (Gman loves his IIRC) I too would consider number 2 with the CAT, just take it for a bumpy test ride and see if you can live with the squeaks.

I have heard nothing but bad about the ISX 475 from a couple of friends, cams valves etc. Sure it's under warranty but still costs money to not run as it sits in the shop.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Board Regular

I am a little afraid of ISX engines. I drove big cams and N14's and they were fine but I have also heard horror stories about ISX. Thing is I don't know what that means because you never hear of the happy people only people who are unhappy with a product really make a lot of noise.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Mudpuddle, I think they are all over priced. If you wait a bit longer, you may be able to get a better buy as sales continue to sag. I prefer CAT for power. International has served me well. The 386 is a nice truck. I had an opportunity to check out the new interior at the Dallas Truck Show last year. The smaller more aerodynamic hoods will usually do better on fuel economy. The 9400 will usually do better than the 9900 because of aerodynamics The T800 seems to do fairly well with fuel, according to a friend of mine who owns one. The 386 was designed to be very aerodynamic, as well. If it were me, I would go with which ever truck that I could get the best deal. They are all comparably equipped. The main difference is the skin.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Board Regular

The prices listed are the asking prices before any negotiation.

That is the main thing I am looking for GMAN, how much should you pay when buying a new truck? How much off the asking price should I expect to get? There are lots of trucks piled up right now and I think I can get a really good deal but I need to know how much to reasonably expect to pay. Unfortunately there is no Edmunds for big trucks.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Given those prices, I would buy a '08 T660 (or is that a T600, LOL) for $115,000 and zero miles.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Given those prices, I would buy a '08 T660 (or is that a T600, LOL) for $115,000 and zero miles.
They are all new trucks with zero or delivery miles except for the 386's and they are basically new.

I should also note that all prices I have been quoted included the FET. That is my biggest problem with the prices for the 386's they are repos and they would not require FET but the dealer seems to want the same price as the new trucks including FET. I just don't see where the Peterbilt name is worth the extra twelve percent to me.

I am still looking for some help though. Rank you just paid 115 for the 660. How much was the price when the negotiation started? I am looking for a ballpark percentage to try and negotiate off the asking price.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

One more suggestion. If you decide to go with CAT, don't go lower than 3.55, with 13, and 24.5. That's if you want a fuel mileage and don't intend to run 55-60, or haul real heavy. And i didn't mean 80,000lb.