User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My turn for one more suggestion....

I heard once upon a time that the 386 had some water leakage issues. But this is only hearsay, not admissible in a court.

Solo, sorry if I stole your one more suggestion thunder :lol:
Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
The prices listed are the asking prices before any negotiation.

That is the main thing I am looking for GMAN, how much should you pay when buying a new truck? How much off the asking price should I expect to get? There are lots of trucks piled up right now and I think I can get a really good deal but I need to know how much to reasonably expect to pay. Unfortunately there is no Edmunds for big trucks.

Keep in mind that you will lose about 20-30% of the retail price as soon as you drive off the lot. I would use that as a basis from which to negotiate. Another thing to keep in mind is the poor fuel mileage that most people I talk with are getting on the new trucks. These new engines are not doing well on fuel economy. That could be a point of negotiation for you. There is a blue book price on the Internet. It should have trucks that are at least 1 year or older. That may also give you something which you can base your negotiations. The price of the 2008 trucks are going to be a little higher than last year.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Default Re: Which truck would you buy?

Quote:
I am narrowing down my new truck purchase. These are my possible trucks to choose from. All are 1850 tq unless noted otherwise. All are pre emission. All include FET or do not require it.

I found these
1) 07 kenworth T800 cat 475 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 114,950.
2) 07 International 9900 IX 500 cat or ISX 13 speed premium interior and specs asking price 112,000 or 114,000 for cat engine.
3) 07 (used but repos with very low miles 1000 or below)Pete 386 ISX 475 1650 tq 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 116,000.
4) 07 international 9400 ISX 475 13 speed mid level interior and specs asking price 107,500

These are decent deals and are still negotiable. I have no particular preference except that I do like the room in the International cabs. All of these trucks have 70 inch bunks.

What if any discount have you guys been able to negotiate below the asking price from the dealership? What would you pay for the warranty extension on engine and driveline beyond the standard?

Forgot to mention aero means very little I will be pulling tanks and they don't do that great with the platforms, hose racks, ladders, etc. I do like the looks of the 386 but the aero advantages are insignificant to the choice.
Mudpuddle,

I too am in search for a truck to pull a tank. I have looked at new truck prices and they do seem to be generally good right now. I am currently looking at the following:

2005 9900I Eagle 475 CAT, 13 Spd, 370 Rears on 22.5 rubber, it has 373,000 miles on the odometer. Asking $56,000 and I believe I will get it for around 48-50 when all is said and done. I would rather have 24.5 rubber as well, but I can adjust the 5th wheel saddle to make up the difference.

I know this is not what you were looking for, I just thought I would throw it out there for information/comparison. I can tell you I have been pulling my hair out (well, if I had hair) :cry: :cry: :cry: trying to decide on used or new.

I apologize for the hijack! Back to your original program.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Board Regular

Greybeard I would love to buy used instead of new. I had excellent service from my last truck which I bought used but this job I am going to be running the system and staying in the truck for four or five nights at a time. This is all fine but I must have looked at thirty used trucks in the last couple of months and I did not find one truck that had not been smoked in. Every truck I look at smells like an ashtray and I cannot stand the smell. I cannot subject myself to that for so many hours.

Gman all the trucks on my list are pre 07 emission trucks. There is no way I am going to be a guinnea pig for the new engines.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Greybeard I would love to buy used instead of new. I had excellent service from my last truck which I bought used but this job I am going to be running the system and staying in the truck for four or five nights at a time. This is all fine but I must have looked at thirty used trucks in the last couple of months and I did not find one truck that had not been smoked in. Every truck I look at smells like an ashtray and I cannot stand the smell. I cannot subject myself to that for so many hours.

Gman all the trucks on my list are pre 07 emission trucks. There is no way I am going to be a guinnea pig for the new engines.
Almost every truck I've driven was previously occupied by a smoker. Yes, it can be strong at first, but for me the smell always went away.

What continued after the smell was gone was the steering wheel residue. After just 10 miles, my hands would smell like smoke. I could never get rid of it in any truck.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What continued after the smell was gone was the steering wheel residue. After just 10 miles, my hands would smell like smoke. I could never get rid of it in any truck.
time for wood
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:

Mudpuddle,

I understand. I have also seen some pretty nasty trucks during my search. It amazes me how nasty some of these trucks can be even after they have gone through the detail shop. I started my search about two months ago and I am still have some time. I am just waiting for the right deal to come along.

Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

The pre-emissions engines will get much better fuel mileage. You can mix a little vinegar with water and go over the interior to take out the smoke smell if you find something you like.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

I have the C15 upgraded to 550hp and have 3.36 rears and I get 6mpg avg.,I have 24.5lp (not for long) and my stacks are 12'6" and I only have hit one rack and that was because of alingment.

One guy I know here has the 386 and he really likes it,I know it looks good hooked up to a tank.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Board Regular

Yeah Mike a lot of people seem to hate the 386 but I really like them. I had the 3406 set at 550 and it was a great engine. When I sold the truck it had 685,000 still going strong and never been touched except to run the valves.

Most of the 386's I have found have been obsenely priced. I am afraid of the ISX engines in the repos I found but the prices are reasonable compared to the new ones. Pete dealers are really Proud of their product. I really want a new 07 386 with a cat engine preferrably a 550 or upratable 475 but the prices for these if you can find one are outrageous.

I would have kept my last truck but it was a condo and not really suited for flats or tanks. Plus it was a Freightliner classic and, while it was reliable and ran well the electrical gremlins were starting to become a problem. Apparently noone at Freightliner knows anything about corrosion protection or how to protect lighting circuitry.