User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Planning for the future

Since the age of 11,ive wanted to drive a truck cross country. Unfortunately, my father told me at the time it was the dumbest thing i could ever do. Doubtless, he is enjoying his stay down there;ie "heck"-for trying to crush his daughters dream. Now I found as I get older that soon my time will be free of responsibilities. My son will be old enough and off to college in a few years and once he is I plan on filing for divorce. Only stayed for my son. I will be entering a school or training program of some sort tobecome a lady driver but I have one major worry. I will be in my early forties and my husband hasnt exactly been steady with his employment and as a stay at home mom with a one vehicle family i havent been able to work. Will OTR trucking salary be enough to live on by myself for the rest of my years even when i need to retire? I want the independence of it and to travel and see things. I know there are more difficult aspects of the biz but its aorth it when you have dreamed of it right? I hope I have gottten my question across correctly for everyone to understand. And I know being an OTR driver u wont be home much so maybe not having a house payment or rent to pay will help me save money for my elder years. Thanks to anyone who responds.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

If you can pass the DOT physical, you'll never be to old for this life. As long as you work steady and all the hours the law permits, sure you'll make a good living. Since you won't have an apartment or house payment - you can consider that amount back in your pocket. You'll learn to eat most of your meals 'In' your tractor, there's all kinds of equipment set up just for trucks from coffee makers to slow cookers, to fridges for milk, lunch meat and healthy foods. Your 1st year of income won't be top of the line pay wise, but each year it will grow. After school start with a good company and work hard. The time spent on the road and miles under you - is where your pay increase will start to grow. Good luck. I personally think it's the Best Job around.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Rookie

If you have a Class A CDL please visit our website to see if there are driver positions open in your area. We offer full time employment, Full benefits, Extended home time (4 day work week), 401K Matching, and very Competitive pay.

Our Website for Performance Food Group is pfgc.com/Careers. The application process is short and simple, or email your resume to [email protected]
(copy and paste)