User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hello, BlqOnyx2012. I have been 'trucking' since 2010 and yes, I am a Woman. Just as others have replied to you, 51yrs is not too old to begin a trucking career as long as you can pass the DOT physical standards tests to receive the required DOT medical card, you're in there (of course, after you go through your trucking driving training program and get your CDL Class A). Your health as a truck driver is what they test, not your age. Go for it!

I went through the Swift Transportation Truck Driving Academy in 2010 and I think that was the best decision I made. A lot of other truckers may not have any nice words to say about Swift Transportation, but I have to give them their 'props' when it comes to their very well organized driver training program at the academy in Millington, TN and the company's new driver training continuum. I had a very smooth transition into my truck driving career by going through Swift Transportation Trucking Driving Academy. You do have to have your CDL permit before they will accept you at the Swift Transportation Truck Driving Academy.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Hi Rookie

Its great and best of luck

And one more thing If you want good job after your study then sure we are happy to help you.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Hello BlqOnyx2012 welcome to the world of trucking ... I just read all the replies and there all great suggestions ! There's not much more I can say that they haven't. You grew up with other family members as Truckers, so the idea of being gone on the road for a long stretch of time ~ you know can be the norm. The idea that you picked up the manual at the DMV is helpful so when you do go to school, it won't all be a surprise. That's exactly what I did back in the 80's when I first started. I got lucky because I was able to study the manual, then went down on my Own and took the written test and then found a company that hired me and they taught me everything else I needed to know to start out... But now days the Insurance company's tell the Trucking company's what they can and cannot do with new hires.. It can be a lonely job sometimes, and a bit uneasy when your sleeping in an undesirable area over night waiting to get unloaded or pick up a load wee hours of the morning.... There's a lot of positives about the job as well as some not so good things ~ just as it is in any job. It's all what we make it ! .... I started with a Reefer and loved it. Reason being I always had a load, if it wasn't fresh vegts in Calif, then it was Tyson meats .... and when there wasn't a food load to pick up, then there was always Tires, walmart stock, Dog Food, or scrap paper. There was always something to move. In all the years out there I only had to 'finger print' the load a couple of times and get it off the trailer. But it gave a person a bit of exercise and broken up the boredom of waiting in the sleeper while they unload the trailer. Sometimes your company will pay money for a Lumper to unload for you. .... To your question about age. From the sound of it since you ride a Harley, your physically fit to the point of holding it up and maintaining it .... I'm sure you'll do 'just fine'. Be able to pull that 5th wheel (and some can be a pain in your back side ) ... Be able to past the Physical, lifting up to 50 lbs, blood pressure under control, sugar levels under control, good vision and etc..... I personally think Trucking is one of the Best Jobs in the world.... Be Ware Thought ~ once Trucking is in your blood ~ you'll never be really happy doing anything else for a living. Have a bit of a Gypsy Soul and enjoy. Work hard and only take the required time off the first 6 months and you'll make a good living. ... Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions on how to best take care of female living in a Tractor.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-19-2015, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

BlqOnyx2012 you mentioned a school, here's one you can check out. That I know personally is a good school. It doesn't cost anything to call and speak to them. A few years ago if you were going to go to work for certain company's which they also train for .... the trucking company will pay your schooling once you graduate and you work for them for a period of time. If you call them, ask if certain company's still go through them.

Training

Central Tech School in Drumright, Okahoma. www.tdt-ok.com/training.html

List of Companys they train for. The company I was driving for was Con-way ..

Averitt Express
Ben E. Keith Company
Con-Way Freight
Con-Way Truckload
Covenant Transport
Crete Carrier Corp.
Groendyke Transport
KLLM
Oklahoma Tank Lines
Roehl Transport Inc.
Schneider National
Shepherd Oil Company