User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy_Maneuvers View Post
Most people think I am a child behind the wheel.. People in passenger cars and other truck drivers have stopped me to ask. One of the car drivers asked me at a RED LIGHT! Guards at customers have watched me get out of the driver's seat and still asked, "Are you the driver?" I actually told one of them that I was not the driver because I figured it was obvious that I was... when she found out I had lied, she was ANGRY! WTF?! Once a shipping clerk asked me "Is school out today?"

Now, on the topic at hand - several times, drivers have slowed next to me, sped up, and slowed down again when they realized I was a woman and not a child (which should be obvious since children cannot obtain CDLs)... Several have left and returned to the road when I caught up to where they were. These actions scare me a little and remind me of how vulnerable motorists actually are while traveling. So, I make sure I get their license numbers from their trailers or a truck number or company name. I want to have some information just in case... I have always been a solo driver and I have only had ONE real issue on the road (thank God), and I am not looking to have another!

That's funny, Fancy_Maneuvers, I have been asked before if I was riding with my dad,

I have had drivers follow me into rest areas and I got cornered by another driver once, when I came out from the restroom and he was standing there waiting for my beside my truck, kind of scary, you never know what someone's intentions are, we are women out there alone, a long way from home, anything could happen, you can never be too careful.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Senior Board Member

As humorous as some of you fellas may think some other males behaviour towards women drivers' is...it's completely uncalled for. Women & men are in this together & doing the same work for a living.

You fellas witnessing this behaviour could step up to the plate in for some of your female colleagues in the difficult situations, so much of it is unsolicited. Granted, I'm sure there are moments when it may have been. Of course you wouldn't be required to do it for you male counterparts....you guys wouldn't behave that way towards each other....so why do it to us????

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee View Post
I have had drivers follow me into rest areas and I got cornered by another driver once, when I came out from the restroom and he was standing there waiting for my beside my truck, kind of scary, you never know what someone's intentions are, we are women out there alone, a long way from home, anything could happen, you can never be too careful.
Shawnee, I am very particular about restrooms. I know other drivers hate it, but I *will* park in the fuel island to go to the restroom at night. I will take a shower at one truck stop and then drive down the road to another to go to sleep. Perhaps I am paranoid, but I agree with you - a driver can never be too careful. Within the last month a driver d@mn near tried to follow me to the shower at the hook in Laredo, Tx. Some days after that another driver did the I'm-speeding-and-I-saw-this-woman-driver-so-I'm-slowing-down-and-holding-up-traffic-to-watch-her bit, and I did not realize it. I just thought the hills were slowing him down! I wasn't even thinking about it!! Once he stopped playing, he took off and I was so mad at myself for not realizing it sooner... You're so right! You can never be too careful. It's a shame, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern ontario View Post
As humorous as some of you fellas may think some other males behaviour towards women drivers' is...it's completely uncalled for. Women & men are in this together & doing the same work for a living.

You fellas witnessing this behaviour could step up to the plate in for some of your female colleagues in the difficult situations, so much of it is unsolicited. Granted, I'm sure there are moments when it may have been. Of course you wouldn't be required to do it for you male counterparts....you guys wouldn't behave that way towards each other....so why do it to us????

Just my 2 cents.
I second that!

When I get called "Darlin'" or "Sweetheart" I often ask if the person also calls male drivers "Sweetheart" - and of course, the answer is "No!" Well.... my name begins with an "A" but I prefer to be called "Driver..."

For the record, I have only been called "Driver" by a stranger ONE TIME in five years...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy_Maneuvers View Post
Shawnee, I am very particular about restrooms. I know other drivers hate it, but I *will* park in the fuel island to go to the restroom at night.

I pulled into a truck stop last week, it was late maybe 2-3 in the morning, I needed fuel. I did my business, went in got my soda, and candy. came back out and the truck at was in front of me was still there. I was like "what the "F" is the problum here" Went in side, and asked the guy at the fuel desk to call the jurk and have him move his truck. Please note atleast 15-20 min has passed by this time. So a few min later out walks this hot little lady. I was like drooling and stuff, she walked over to my truck and said sorry. I was like its all good, she was telling me that a few months back someone had attemped to rap her in another truck stops parking lot :thumbsdown: I then felt bad for having the attendant rush her out of the shower.

I would just like to say all women truck drivers are flipping sexy IMO. To put up with a billion rude chumps on a daily basis, My hats off to you ladys. Keep up the good work out there....
Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

No, I havent had this happen, but if my wife drove a truck, I would love her even more.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is important to be aware of your surroundings whether you are a man or woman. There are some real jerks on the road these days. Some think nothing of making remarks to women in trucks. I would keep things business like when dealing with male drivers. I have only heard of once incident about a woman being attacked or assaulted in a truck stop. Frankly, I am surprised there haven't been more. It would be much better for women to park in well lit spaces and dress in appropriate attire. I have seen some wearing very revealing clothing such as tank tops and low cut blouses. Women can prevent some of the attention by not wearing provocative clothing. I understand that just the fact that a woman is female can get the attention of some of their male counterparts. I think some men could help to hold some of these jerks accountable by stepping in and saying something. On the other hand, I have witnessed some women who could stop advances of another driver with a few words. :thumbsup:
Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
And this has what to do with what happened?

For the record here's a somewhat un-complementary photo of my wife (in fact when she finds out - I will probably draw my last breaths ). This is before she had most of her bad teeth pulled out.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...andimtired.jpg
Yikes.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
It is important to be aware of your surroundings whether you are a man or woman. There are some real jerks on the road these days. Some think nothing of making remarks to women in trucks. I would keep things business like when dealing with male drivers. I have only heard of once incident about a woman being attacked or assaulted in a truck stop. Frankly, I am surprised there haven't been more. It would be much better for women to park in well lit spaces and dress in appropriate attire. I have seen some wearing very revealing clothing such as tank tops and low cut blouses. Women can prevent some of the attention by not wearing provocative clothing. I understand that just the fact that a woman is female can get the attention of some of their male counterparts. I think some men could help to hold some of these jerks accountable by stepping in and saying something. On the other hand, I have witnessed some women who could stop advances of another driver with a few words. :thumbsup:
In my nearly 5-years of trucking I think maybe twice a female driver turned my head. This job doesn't attract many super models.

Nevertheless, so many of men drivers talk to EVERY woman as if the gal is gonna drop everything and hop in the sleeper for a quickie.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

You know, human nature drives us (men) to females, it is a natural biological function of our existence. Now I certainly do not condone a lot of the crazy things we men do, but it IS natural, and you will find it everywhere, not just in trucking. Now me personally, I am quite capable of keeping my thoughts in my head, and I would assume a good majority of males can do the same.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt