User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your thought on this Shawnee...sometimes it's hard for people to "get" what it's really like...especially if all they know about the industry is the trucks they see rolling down the road!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
I will try to answer this as best I can Graymist... I just hope I can explain it so it gets what I 'm trying to say clearly... Please remember I am quite literally a mechanical idiot & when it comes to the mechanical workings of some things I tend to resort to "thingy's" & "thingamabobs" ok?

From my understanding of the concept...My #1 switch is traction control which if my understanding of my mechanic brother is correct makes my front axle have the equivalent to posi-trac rear-ends in a pick-up. Then with the #2 switch activated it literally "locks" the front axle so you have the similarity to 4-wheel drive, where both wheels on the axle "drive" instead of just one. Then with the #3 switch activated you lock Both of your axles together & they work like one very large set of axles, giving you the most bang for your buck...but steering is greatly affected. Imagine how a Cat turns...same concept. You have what my husband's truck has...the 2 switches which in essence gives you traction control & depending on how it's set up either front axle lock or rear axle lock, but not both...most common I understand is front axle lock, because it does not affect your steering so adversely. And so when you use both switches it gives you not only the posi, but the anti-slip (if that's the right terminology) but more than likely in the front axle only...if it was the rear axle you would know as soon as you tried to turn a corner, cause your truck would just keep going straight & not turn unless you pushed in the clutch to disengage the rear-ends.
I just gotta ask you Kat.

Are those switches labeled, "Traction" "Power-Divider Lockout" and "Inter-Axle Lock"??
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I just gotta ask you Kat.

Are those switches labeled, "Traction" "Power-Divider Lockout" and "Inter-Axle Lock"??
You know Stan it's entirely possible, I just know there's three of them & that they work!

Maybe you can explain the workings better than me, I just know what situations I use them in & that most company owned "junk" is lucky to have the "Traction control" LOL

I checked my switches...one doesn't say anything except..."Use at any speed except if wheels spinning"...go figure! And, the other two say...Full locking Differential...Forward Axle" Full Locking Differential...Rear Axle" Does that mean anything to you?

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"

Last edited by wildkat; 03-08-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Wow. I couldnt imagine. That's crazy.

Really nice pictures.
I'd shoot myself!!
But know I feel better about NY winter's
Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I'd shoot myself!!
But know I feel better about NY winter's
Oh they're not so bad repete...it's all what you get used to.

LOL I saw a guy this weekend when I was on my way home from Whitehorse LMAO I don't think he'd ever been up there before...at least "I" had never seen the truck before...there's not alot of us that run up there so you usually see the same bunch all the time...anyway it had snowed about 6", the plows hadn't been out yet, pretty crappy roads, I actually felt sorry for the guy, the road is VERY narrow 2 lane...only 16 feet wide,you can actually shake hands with the guy coming towards you if you think to do it :-p, no shoulders, sheer drop off of probly 100 feet on one side & sheer mountain on the other...poor bugger was creeping along at about 20 mph right down the centre of the road. Since he was coming towards me & I had nowhere else to go I just pulled to a stop & let him go by...he sure looked miserable! Don't imagine he'll be back!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
You know Stan it's entirely possible, I just know there's three of them & that they work!

Maybe you can explain the workings better than me, I just know what situations I use them in & that most company owned "junk" is lucky to have the "Traction control" LOL

I checked my switches...one doesn't say anything except..."Use at any speed except if wheels spinning"...go figure! And, the other two say...Full locking Differential...Forward Axle" Full Locking Differential...Rear Axle" Does that mean anything to you?

Going by just that description, I would say that you have a power divider (use at any speed except while wheels are spinning) plus individual axle lockers. The ARCO trucks I drove in Seattle, KW T-800's, had the PD, plus axle lockers, but there was only one switch that locked both axles, for "4-wheel" traction. That was what caused the "crabbing" during turns.

Since you drive a Pete..I'm wondering if one of those switches isn't a "Mud/Snow" switch(Traction control)?? That is a "Paccar" feature, that activates the brakes, in an alternating application sequence, when you start to spin-out (it uses the anti-lock braking component). Helps you maintain control and supposed to keep you rolling enough to get off the slick spot. On the T-8's I drove, it worked automaticly.

If you activated the system manually while under power, you lost your air in quick order, because it started working the brakes, applying them in alternating sequence (wheel 1 applied and released, then wheel 3 applied and released, working around the four drive axle positions). It tends to use a lot of air fast.

That was what I am thinking all those switches you describe do.
I can tell you that Snoqualmie was a breeze with the full locking axles. :lol::lol: Getting around the Seattle area during snow storms, without chains, was easy also.
If we had to stop mid-stream on a hill and chain up, the full lockers let us walk away after tossing on the iron, without spinning out, like so many OTR trucks tend to do. :whistle::whistle::whistle:
Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Going by just that description, I would say that you have a power divider (use at any speed except while wheels are spinning) plus individual axle lockers. The ARCO trucks I drove in Seattle, KW T-800's, had the PD, plus axle lockers, but there was only one switch that locked both axles, for "4-wheel" traction. That was what caused the "crabbing" during turns.
This happens if I use BOTH Full Lock switches...mostly I use the "front" if the roads get tough...50 mph or less

Quote:
Since you drive a Pete..I'm wondering if one of those switches isn't a "Mud/Snow" switch(Traction control)?? That is a "Paccar" feature, that activates the brakes, in an alternating application sequence, when you start to spin-out (it uses the anti-lock braking component). Helps you maintain control and supposed to keep you rolling enough to get off the slick spot. On the T-8's I drove, it worked automaticly.
No, this I don't have...unless it's an auto feature I never realized I had...but not to my knowledge! LOL

Quote:
If you activated the system manually while under power, you lost your air in quick order, because it started working the brakes, applying them in alternating sequence (wheel 1 applied and released, then wheel 3 applied and released, working around the four drive axle positions). It tends to use a lot of air fast.
Nope this doesn't happen...well it did once when the airline broke!

Quote:
That was what I am thinking all those switches you describe do.
I can tell you that Snoqualmie was a breeze with the full locking axles. :lol::lol: Getting around the Seattle area during snow storms, without chains, was easy also.
If we had to stop mid-stream on a hill and chain up, the full lockers let us walk away after tossing on the iron, without spinning out, like so many OTR trucks tend to do. :whistle::whistle::whistle:
Exactly, I have only had to chain up once...that was on Taylor Hill...it's a 10% grade for about 5 miles or so...well lets say I put ONE chain on the passenger side:whistle::whistle:...so the DOT could see it...locked up front axle & "walked" up the hill...what a pain...big waste of time.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
That was quite informative. Let me ask you this though....why do you lock in the front diffs first, and not the rears first, or even both diffs together at the same time rather than doing one before the other ? Usually when I'm stuck in sand or mud, I lock both the diffs at the same time ( the truck I drive has only 2-way lockups ). And that's usually happened with a loaded superB.
Greymist,
I believe you are pulling a super b bulker at times, similarly I pull a super b tanker. You really need to know what switches do what, and how they can help you, as you need all the help your truck can give you.

Most truckers have no idea how challenging pulling an empty set of trailers around weighing 55,000 lbs. can be....

The inter axle / power-divider or (first switch) simply powers BOTH diffs, meaning one set of tires on each axle will spin, sometimes both on one side, or one on each side but different axles... (all 4 corners pull until a wheel spins)

This switch can / should be engaged all winter for simplicity as it can't be switched if your spinning, or boom, something will break. I run my power divider year round as it prevents (slip/grip) situations that commonly break axle shafts, like paved switchbacks etc.... It doesn't hurt anything...

The full locking diffs only work in LOW RANGE, this has been since 01 model year. I lock up just before I downshift to the low range, DO NOT USE THE LOCKERS JAKEING DOWN HILL, The chances of jacknifing are 10 fold without the "open" wheels free rolling along to hold you. Hard to explain...

I'm not sure if you off-road much, but if it gets real stupid like what I do, and you got two sets on, you really don't need the full lock ups, unless you think you'll be "chewing your way" With two sets and locked up, you won't be able to steer at all...

Now that winter is almost over, I teach you something... Just remember, leave the power divider in all winter at least, and use the lockers just for climbing hills... Or lifting off or you know, MUD holes...

When your downshifting on a icy hill, the lockers go in just before the range selector goes down.... And don't forget to take them out...

Last edited by COLT; 03-09-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT View Post
The full locking diffs only work in LOW RANGE, this has been since 01 model year.

Hey Colty-poo, long time no see.

This isn't 100% true. All my trucks have been post 01 and the lockers have always worked in high-range... EXCEPT.. our new Internationals.
However, co-worker took his to Gear-O-Rama in DC the other day and mentioned it, and they offered to change it and did. All fixed.

Its a ******ed feature to me, and I plan on having mine updated too. I never hit the basement in my truck, even with trains I think I hit 4th on Army and maybe on one leg of Steamboat. That doesn't mean the road ain't CRAP amd I don't need them. lol
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNorthStar View Post

Its a ******ed feature to me,
Goodness, r e t a r d is a banned word? So I can't even say engine ******er? lol