User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wildkat....about Grimshaw

I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard that Grimshaw is facing some major problems. As you may well know, Pe Ben Bulk has been closed down, and some of their drivers are scouting around our yard for work ( though it's unlikely that they'll like to get their hands dirty with dry bulk, after having hauled fuel....not to mention, the frequent tricky backing-ups with dry bulk super b's, which you seldom need to do with fuel ).

Our contract is currently in the negotiation stage, but in light of the above, the guys here are a worried bunch. Any idea what's going on at Mullen ?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Well Graymist it's kind of complicated, but will try to explain as best I can..

It all started about a year ago when the president of Grimshaw retired, he was nearly 70 & had been there since the cat train days. He ran a super tight ship & really gave a damn about all us guys, & he mistakenly thought he could take the 2 VeePs & put them in charge of the company. Needless to say moral went into the toilet in about 6 months, they started losing customers, then terminal managers, etc. Nobody gave a damn anymore, the Veep's were more interested in their 2 hour lunches than getting & keeping customers.

I saw the writing on the wall back at Christmas time & decided to start looking around... It's incredibly expensive to move a truck & a big decision, so I spent several months in the process, but have found a good company with an excellent reputation & have been here for just under 2 months now I really enjoy it!

Also this was the first year since the Mullen buy-out 13 years ago that Grimshaw actually LOST money...the far north is pretty lucrative work...if you have the guts for it!

So back about a month ago one of the VP's got canned & I've heard rumours the other one had one foot out the door.

I sure hope they get things straightened out, it would be a crying shame to see a good company that has been in business since 1946 run into the ground within a year. I understand that some boys from Mullen have gone in & taken over the running of the company, but you know how rumours fly in this industry, so I would take anything you hear with a grain of salt!

As far as Mullen themselves are concerned, I don't really think you have too many worries in that department, I think they are just doing some re-organizing with all the buying of smaller companies they have been doing the last couple of years & it seems to me they are more focused on the oil patch than ever before & I don't think they ever really wanted much to do with the fuel end of it unless it concerned the "patch". I recall when the bought up VLR back years ago, they didn't keep the fuel division long, just wanted the equipment. Could be the same with PeBen Bulk, wanted the running authorities that came with them, not the headaches with fuel.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Nowww I get why you're coming up here, was confused as I never saw Grimshaw up here before.

Have you met Jack yet with the old green Volvo? =D
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

For sure, he's a card! But you have to remember I been around since...well damned near forever :lol: :lol: so most know ME! LOL

Grimshaw only runs as far as Nelson, but I never wanted to be licensed for BC with them...no $$ in it to run BC there, but here (Byers), well it PAYS to have BC & Yukon tin.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
For sure, he's a card! But you have to remember I been around since...well damned near forever :lol: :lol: so most know ME! LOL

Grimshaw only runs as far as Nelson, but I never wanted to be licensed for BC with them...no $$ in it to run BC there, but here (Byers), well it PAYS to have BC & Yukon tin.
Which other companies did you check out ? What made you decide in favour of Byer's, if I may ask ? Did you happen to check out Canadian Freightways ?

I'm simply trying to arm myself with some info, in case I need to start looking around. May 20 is the date for the last round of bargaining for us. What is also causing us concern, is the fact that we're increasingly seeing more and more of our Calgary drivers ( owner ops mainly ) haul stuff to places where we guys from Edmonton normally haul....and our Edmonton drivers are sitting around !!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat

Which other companies did you check out ? What made you decide in favour of Byer's, if I may ask ? Did you happen to check out Canadian Freightways ?

I'm simply trying to arm myself with some info, in case I need to start looking around. May 20 is the date for the last round of bargaining for us. What is also causing us concern, is the fact that we're increasingly seeing more and more of our Calgary drivers ( owner ops mainly ) haul stuff to places where we guys from Edmonton normally haul....and our Edmonton drivers are sitting around !!
Well, first thing I wanted was to stay running the North, so that limited my choices somewhat. Next, was I've been around long enough that I know alot of drivers, both company & owner/operator, so I talk to them. I seldom actually go see the company themselves till I do that.

The next thing I check is the costs associated with working at a place... plated, insurances, WCB coverage, etc. Do I have to pay this or does the company pay some or all of them.

Then the final thing I do is get a copy of the contract & decide if it's what I want & finally if the rates are something I can make a living at & get the amount of miles I want ever month.

I am the type that wages are at the bottom of my list, so long as I can earn a decent living I am content with that. I would rather be happy where I work than be unhappy! :lol: :lol: