User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default We passed !!

We passed all our skills and driving friday. Boy what a reliefe it was, felt like the empire state building was lifted off my shoulders. We are also going to be heading to Joplin, MO to orientation for CFI on March 2 and we are excited about this as well. Friday was a fantastic day, got the call from their recruiter at 11am saying we were approved and also passed the driving. Does anyone on here drive for them? Would be nice to know a few names so we dont feel so lost out there. My instructor gave me a name while driving, as far as I know I'm the only student who was named, dont know if that was good or not, LOL. He calls me "Lone Ranger" because I could find my first low range (5th) but the rest I struggled with as I was down shifting. Daughter will still go by Dracojewel, she didnt struggle like I did. I guess I drove too many old farm trucks and our old 5 speed pickup. That downshifting kicked my backside, but got better after they showed us how to double-down. Boy did that help me allot, LOL.
Tuesday we are going to learn to slide the tandems and 5th wheel, take the school trucks to the wash (boy they need it after all the ice we got to drive in). Friday we are going to play on the skid pan all day as a graduation gift to us. That should be allot of fun.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Congrats, and I hear CFI is a good company and with Conway being apart of CFI I think you'll have alot more freight and customers and I read somwhere that you'll have alot more drop and hooks but not sure on that. So don't take the last one to heart cause I'm not sure on that! Good luck you two! :wink:
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Board Regular

Congrats Ivory-Snow!

Let me know how you like them.I got a call from them last Friday.
I leaning towards them now instead of Stevens.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:02 AM

I would like to know how things are going over there also. I am in the middle of sending in the application
Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Congrats, Ivory_Snow. I've heard good things about CFI. And, having learned to drive in ice and snow, you may have a slight advantage over others that first got to see it when they have already been driving. Good luck to you.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

WTG ladies .... this is awesome ! Your going to work for a good company. Here's a site that is 99% all CFI drivers. They talk about the good and the not so good about the job and glad to help you out as much as possible............
http://www.cfidrivers.com/phpbb2/index.php
This site was started by a CFI driver which goes by the handle 'Crocodile'. I know you'll enjoy yourself there ...

CFI will put you up in the Holiday Inn - very comfortable- they will send a CFI bus over to pick you up each morning for orintation and take you back at the end of the day. CFI also has a shuttle bus that comes by the hotel several times during the day to drop you off at places to eat, Walmart, and etc. ... They pay for your lunch each day while in class also. One big thing they are VERY serious about and that's being Late for class or anything.

Tom Edwards and Sally are the two people who's over the 'Finishers' .. their both nice people. You'll fill out a sheet the first day your there about your personality because they try to set you up with a Finisher that is sort of like you. So if you don't smoke or it makes you sick be sure and put that on that paper ... etc..

The first day after filling out your paper work they will take you on a driving test ... then you'll return back to CFI to the big parking lot and do a 45 back ..... they will talk you through everything they want you to do ... so just take a deep breath - try to shake off your fear and do everything you were taught in school. They know you've just come out of school so they don't expect you to be perfect !

At some point during the 3-4 days of class you will go out to the far back corner of the lot and they have a test area where you will drive in circles, turn tight corners, 'S' shape and etc. Again they will walk you through everything they want you to do.

The last day your Finisher will be there to greet you and take time for both of you to get to know each other a bit before heading out. I don't know if your driving your car to Joplin or not .. I did so I was able to leave my extra's in my car that I needed once I got off the Finishers truck .. all you'll need to take with you is a fold up clothes bag, a small bag to hold your shampoos and extra for shower ... a couple of fine point black ink pens, ruler (I beleive they give you one the first day in your red bag they hand you) 2 pairs of shoes, ask your Finisher if he/she has a ice box and if so can you put some lunch meat or yogurt in there,etc.............. One thing you need to remember :!: - - if for Any Reason you don't feel like your Finisher is teaching you fully or being able to anwer your questions about trucking .... call Sally or Tom Edwards and talk with them about this - - if possible they will set you up with another Finisher ..... I've know a few people who have done just that .. and it worked out fine. No one at the office will think bad of you for calling in .... this is Your future ..... and Your life ... and CFI wants you to be the best driver possible. Their picky about who they hire.

During your time there ... go upstairs to see the 'war' room - where all the dispatchers set ..... it's quite overwhelming ... there's a solid sheet of glass between you and them so you won't be bothering them ... look up on the walls and you'll see 2-3 screens on each side, on those screens it shows which trucks are running Late, weather, etc.

If I can help you in any way let me know

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Way to Go Girls!!!!

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

WTG Gals arty:
Old 02-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks

Thank you all for responding. We are very excited and can't wait to get started. I did struggle some with all the book learning, it had been so long since my poor old brain had to work that hard. At school we did allot of backing ( straight line, offset both left and right, parallell both sides and 90 degree), we got certified in fork lift and pallet jack, first aide and CPR, defensive driving training, skid pad (that was allot of fun), drove on ice on interstate, 2 land highways and around the course at the school. I really needed that kind of driving. I was amazed at how much traction you did have with aloaded trailer on that stuff. We even pulled doubles out on the ice and snow, slush. We did pre-trip inspections, went to port of entry for part of a day and did a full inspection with one of the officers on some poor guy ( port from Oklahoma/Kansas). I pulled tanker as well, drove old cab overs (used that one for the skid pan),I feel we got allot of great information and training from this school and I am so glad we spent the extra dollars and went there instead of the 2 week class we thought about taking.
My dad also helped by talking to drivers out there while he was at truck stops. He has been driving for 15 years with a company and I do appreciate all his support in our decisions. My husband has also backed me 100% and that also means allot to me. It was a decision not taken lightly by us, discussing pros and cons of this for almost 2 years, it's great to have that kind of support.
Wed was a very emotional, exciting day for me (graduation day) and cant wait to get out there and get our feet wet.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Board Regular

if women can do it so can i :lol: i hope. i hope i dont have a hard time learning how to do log books