User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Well, I did it!

Took my Skills and Road test yesterday and now have my CDL!
I'll be driving local for the County for a few months just to get my confidence up, then I'll start looking at OTR again. Or I may go with an O/O I know hauling mail from O'Hare to Peoria and back.

I know that local experience won't count as experience for an OTR job, but at least it'll help build my confidence behind the wheel.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Way to go Reb, Congrats & good luck to you!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks WK. I would love to be able to do what you do, but I think I'll start small and dream BIG! Maybe someday I will get up there and you better believe I'll look you up!

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

You absolutely better! It's not so bad...all what you get used to I guess! I love my job, where I run, etc. And that os the most important thing, for me anyways.

I've heard it said that if you can a place where you would work for free, you know you have found the right place to be.

This is full circle for me, it is where I started my career almost 30 years ago & have always wanted to come back, & 5 years ago I did just that, I felt like I had come home!

It can be a brutal life sometimes, no matter what the weather, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Just remember, what doesn't break you makes you stronger...and whatever you do...DON'T let them break you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Follow your dream no matter if it's local or otr .... the bottom line is you took the big step and got your license ... wtg :!:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had any doubt that you would find a way to make it work. I have to admit I was a little worried after plan "A" then "B" then "C" failed. But by gosh, you stuck with it till you made it happen.

I'm shooting off some fire-works right now in Ga. If ya'll don't see me around for a day or two........ send bail money! :lol: :wink:
Old 02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Survive this winter without anything and you'll be on your way. Lot of good advice on here about that. Best of luck to you. Use some of the common sense that most IL 4-wheelers don't seem to have and you'll be fine.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Follow your dream no matter if it's local or otr .... the bottom line is you took the big step and got your license ... wtg

Well thank you all!

As usual I can't do anything the way anyone else does. I ran into the guy who used to run the CDL program at the Community College here. I knew him from working at the truck stop. He is now working for the County Highway/Transit Department. co-ordinating their training. So he pushed my application with them through and he trained me. He's a State certified trainer so all of my training is as legit as if I went through the College. But all it cost me was the $60.00 for my permit and they paid me $9.00 an hour for the 3 weeks I was in training. I'm licensed for trucks AND buses, and have all of my endorsements except tanker & Hazmat which I will take in the next month. Sweet!

I told him I would stay at least 6 months but there is no contract saying I have to. But I probably will since he did me such a BIG favor!

Quote:
Use some of the common sense that most IL 4-wheelers don't seem to have and you'll be fine.

Windwalker, I've been driving in Illinois for 32 years now and know EXACTLY what you mean! I'm a very careful driver after commuting to the Loop on the Dan Ryan for 18 years. If I wasn't such a defensive driver I probably wouldn't be here. Too many near missed to even count. And that's in my car.

Quote:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had any doubt that you would find a way to make it work. I have to admit I was a little worried after plan "A" then "B" then "C" failed. But by gosh, you stuck with it till you made it happen.

When God closes a door He opens a window. I just have to learn to stop trying to batter down the door long enough to notice the window! :wink:

Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Board Member

congrats too Rebel,

If you're happy then I am happy for you. You are very smart and will make good decisions of that I am sure. You need none of my advice as I am a home dweller but prayers are something I am good at.

God Bless

TW :wink:
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Good Job, RD, and Congratulations ....I know that was a stepping stone that you kept tripping on, almost seemed like an unsurmountable hurdle. You perservered, and accomplished a great achievement....Good for you. Get you some confidence and you will be out here in no time truckin with the rest of us....
Nothing like getting on CAD, from the sleeper of your truck... :lol: :lol: