User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Medical Care away from home

Is anyone familiar with the Medical Clinics that are starting up at some of the truckstops?? It's so hard to get seen while you are out on the road. I'm asking about minor things. I had to go to an emergency room lately because I couldn't find anyplace else. I wasn't sure what was wrong. I knew I was in pain but couldn't find a DR.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Default Medical Care

Ok, I'm back to answer my own question. I hope it helps other drivers (women and men).

I had a medical problem on 12/6 that gave me a good scare and sent me to an emergency room because I couldn't find any kind of walk-in clinic. The hopital checked me out, gave me a pat on the back, 2 scripts and a $285 bill. The problem recurred this week. I couldn't find a clinic at a truckstop (some are opening up clinics) but none in the area I was going to be passing thru. I did however find that Walgreens are opening up small clinics in their drug stores. I found one by phone that had a closed shopping center next door where I could park my rig. They did the same test that the hospital did. Gave me a different antibiotic and another script and charged my Insurance on $59. It took 10 minutes. The nurses even told me to go to Walmart to get the scripts filled because it would be cheaper.

For locations you can call any Walgreens or 1-866-TAKE-CARE or takecarehealth.com.

It's awful to be sick on the road. My terminal mgrs couldn't find a clinic and I was sure a long way from home. A lot of clinics that do driver physically won't treat other problems. It might be days or weeks before you can get to your own Dr. Stay well ou there.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can find some small walk in clinics in many cities across the country. Some are near or in shopping centers where you could park the truck for a short time. There is one near where I live that I go to get my DOT physicals. They are much less expensive than an emergency room and won't keep you tied up for hours. I have never been to one of those clinics at a truck stop. I think most are primarily interested in doing the DOT physicals. However, if a doctor is on site they should be able to write you a prescription and take care of most minor ills.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Board Member

good idea Gman!

i found a link for a listing of walk in clinics put out by AARP that includes the ones at walmart, cvs, walgreens, and a whole host of others. some you can call an 800 # for a location, but one, the link for convenient care association has a national map with locations listed.

urgentcare also has a listing based on state.

hth someone in the future
Old 01-09-2008, 05:04 AM

Vavega and gman- Great. Thanks for the info. I'll sure check out the AARP site.