User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Veteran Lady Drivers May Give Out-of-Date Advice

All the new rookie drivers on this board, male or female, have heard correctly that getting into truck driving in 2007 is a lot different than it was in 1987. Aside from the fact that the Major Regulations have changed, so have the recruiting practices, and the dispatch practices.

Time changes things.

In fact, come to think of it, isn't our WHOLE SOCIETY and the way people act towards each other, particularly strangers, quite different than it was 20 years ago?

It amazes me how quick so-called "veteran" drivers are when it comes to jumping on someone whose experiences as rookies are "up-to-date." These gals are also self-proclaimed experts on male/female trucker relationships. Again, I wonder about their CURRENT record in that area.

I also wonder that there are regular contributors to this board who seem to type and upload pictures as much as they drive, which must cut into their income.

I would encourage all new people to take with a grain of salt any and all words of wisdom found on this site, including my own, of course.

Above all, let's hear those Million Mile Club drivers comment with a little compassion. But that's hard to find behind the tractor on the asphalt. Usually, there's a pile of something else. Be careful everybody lest ye slip.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

"Be careful everybody lest ye slip"

now that's funny.............

"The fault lies not in our stars but in ourselves." - William Shakespeare

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: 8)
Old 12-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Veteran Lady Drivers May Give Out-of-Date Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebear
All the new rookie drivers on this board, male or female, have heard correctly that getting into truck driving in 2007 is a lot different than it was in 1987. Aside from the fact that the Major Regulations have changed, so have the recruiting practices, and the dispatch practices.

Time changes things.

In fact, come to think of it, isn't our WHOLE SOCIETY and the way people act towards each other, particularly strangers, quite different than it was 20 years ago?

It amazes me how quick so-called "veteran" drivers are when it comes to jumping on someone whose experiences as rookies are "up-to-date." These gals are also self-proclaimed experts on male/female trucker relationships. Again, I wonder about their CURRENT record in that area.

My current record.. Married 35 years, never cheated

my only problem with new drivers is the lack of respect most of them have for other drivers on the road, you ask them nicely to please move out of the middle lane and they cuss you out, you try to help them back into a tight spot and they are insulted. I blame the schools and the trainers for this. not the drivers... one extremely rude Carroll Fulmer driver proclaimed on his cb that is was F U friday and he wasnt moving for anybody, he then said his companies policy is to run the middle lane.
companies like swift make a driver a trainer after only a years experience, so how can you expect then to teach it right? the driver and the trainer are both trying to learn.
and on a side note, I find a lot of the veteran drivers are very rude nowadays also. seems like it's everyone for themselves anymore

I also wonder that there are regular contributors to this board who seem to type and upload pictures as much as they drive, which must cut into their income.

Maybe we have figured out how to make a decent living without spending our entire lives on the road

I would encourage all new people to take with a grain of salt any and all words of wisdom found on this site, including my own, of course.

Above all, let's hear those Million Mile Club drivers comment with a little compassion. But that's hard to find behind the tractor on the asphalt. Usually, there's a pile of something else. Be careful everybody lest ye slip.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Shebear
Quote:
looks like you've given this alot of thought ... :roll: .............. while thinking - have you taken into consideration that there's always down time ... taking a break .... day's off ... not everyone runs all 48's ... some are local :wink:

Have you setteled in with a company yet? ... or working on something else ?

Take care.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member

:roll:

Personally, I traded in my bunk for a day cab. Still don't have tons of time, but have more than before.
We are required a certain number of hours off in a day and its rare to find a trucker capable of sleeping all 10 of those hours. With nothing but a truck stop and a sleeper for those on the road, its really not that hard to find the time.
All we all have is our own personal experiences.
Ditto my girl Roses, how is your own employment situation working out for you Shebear?
Old 12-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

what exactly was the purpose of this Thread?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Yea, the more I read it the more it really doesn't make any sence.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

sorry guys and ladies ... but this kind of got my goose :roll:

Quote:
Not really sure exactly how to address this one. Maybe I won't give it the time of day :wink:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
sorry guys and ladies ... but this kind of got my goose :roll:

Quote:
Not really sure exactly how to address this one. Maybe I won't give it the time of day :wink:
Afraid I have to agree with you Roses, jeez this is almost insulting. I spend all week on the road, I finally drag my butt home after dealing with ice, snow, extreme cold (-40) & idiots to enjoy my home, my family (YES I do have both of those & worked very hard for both) & catch up a bit & have justy a teeny bit of downtime, I DO need that occassionally & see this....

But what the hay, I suppose we should also consider the source... in many threads the above author has complained bitterly about not being taken seriously, about not being able to find a job, but is yet unwilling to start at the "bottom" so to speak & pay her dues like everyone of us "vetrans" did.

Some of us got lucky & found our spot right off the get go, but unfortunately, that is most often NOT the case. We have all paid our dues, worked our tails off to EARN the respect we have & the right to be "vetrans".

AND, not that it really matters...MY current record... I have been married for 10 years to the man who was my best friend for the previous 15, He is still to this day, my partner , my lover, and above all my best friend, I have 2 grown daughters of which I would kill &/or die for, & 2 wonderful grandchildren who mean the absolute world to me! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 12-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
But what the hay, I suppose we should also consider the source... in many threads the above author has complained bitterly about not being taken seriously, about not being able to find a job, but is yet unwilling to start at the "bottom" so to speak & pay her dues like everyone of us "vetrans" did.

Some of us got lucky & found our spot right off the get go, but unfortunately, that is most often NOT the case. We have all paid our dues, worked our tails off to EARN the respect we have & the right to be "vetrans".
Yeah, I hear ya there wildkat, I started out at the bottom of the bottom, loading trucks, by hand, not with forklifts. I worked my way up to becoming a driver. You are right, wildkat, nobody wants to start at the bottom anymore, they figure that they should be starting at the top making top pay right away. They know there are other jobs out there but they feel that those jobs are beneath them.

I only work 4 to 5 days a week, I don't even have a computer in my truck, I have to wait til I get home, so I don't post when I'm on the road. You don't have to be away from home for weeks at a time to make a decent living.