User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Career change - advise for a Teamster?

Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I have been "lurking" for several weeks.
I am looking into a career change. Currently, I work as a clerical job in an office. The benefits are excellent, (and I am a Teamster), but I am not satisfied with the income.
I have had driving jobs before, but don't been to driving school yet. In the end, I want to get my Class A and continue on as a Teamster.

A little about me: I live in Upstate New York. My name is Susan, my husband is a trucker (also a Teamster), and we are soon-to-be-empty-nesters. He is about to retire, and I am looking at a career change.

I would appreciate any advise from you folks.

Susan
Old 06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I am a o/o. I pull flatbed. I have a brother who is a teamster in the rat-a tat- tat :lol: teamster outfit.lol. He admires my way of life... I admire his. You say you want to get your class a c.d.l. but still reamain with the teamsters? If you can do that & remain with the union, just get out of the office that would be great. my bro tells me that his drivers make a lot more than him with all the same benefits. you can most likely get a local position where you would work the same hours as now but with more pay. with a class a lic.. opportunites will be much more abundandt. learning a new skill is always a positive. good luck
Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Thanks HH,
I will have to head down to the Teamster Hall and see if they can offer any advise.
Susan.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Default TEAMSTERS - YELLOW/RODEWAY

I put in an application a couple of months ago with Yellow, and supposedly I'm on their list to get a phone call, but they never call.

Yellow hires Teamster drivers, of course, plus they also have a really good training program AFTER you get your CDL.

I can't get anyone on the phone over there - it's their policy I was told.

Is anybody a Teamster? I used to be in the union, doing office work, 30 years ago.

Now I have my CDL, but I want security, benefits, and decency in the workplace. So Yellow or Rodeway really interest me.

Any advice out there?