User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

thank you Lady...I wish I was better at this stuff...am totally self-taught, so I have HUGE gaps ops: ops:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Board Regular

Thanks it did work this time. I miss seeing the north when spring breakup comes.
Drive safe everyone.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I keep looking at this ice and can't beleive it. Never have seen anything like it before .... :? .. guess I'll just keep coming back and looking at it .... it's Kool ..... brrrrrrr

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 06-02-2007, 05:18 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I really enjoy it maple, there's nothing like watching the sunrise now, there's only about 1 hour of somewhat dark now, twighlight really, the sun is up at 2 am, it makes for good truckin

Going to be going like a mad fool till break up next April now, we NEVER seem to get slow, except in the time the ice road goes & the ferry returns, but even then we seem to be busy. No rest for the wicked I'm told! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 06-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
I keep looking at this ice and can't beleive it. Never have seen anything like it before .... :? .. guess I'll just keep coming back and looking at it .... it's Kool ..... brrrrrrr
Me neither Roses, it was I sight I always managed to miss until this year. It just happened that it warmed up very quickly in the space of 2 days... +25C by 10 am. It caused the ice to break up on Great Slave Lake too fast...the lake is usually not ice free until mid-June I think, & it usually melts very slowly & moved upstream (the rivers flow north to the Arctic Ocean), but that particular day with 2 days of very warm weather(for up there) it became wter logged & broke apart very fast. The noise was incredible, something to behold...the wonders of nature! 8) 8)

Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Senior Board Member

I love those photos of the ice, and the NWT's... You folks are lucky to live, and work there...

Down here, to much traffic, to much everything... Give me the wide open spaces, and that would be heaven to me....

Those ice photos remind me of a documentary I watched on television called "Alone in The Wilderness"... About a man who went to Alaska, got a homestead property along a lake, built a log cabin by hand, all by himself, and lived there for 30 years. He didn't leave until he was in his 80's... He had originally planned to only stay at his cabin for one year, and instead lived alone there for the 30 years... Hunting, and fishing for his food, a life of self sufficiency...

I really like those open road photos too... No one around, no traffic, just you the road, and peace, and quiet... Ah, what a life... 8)

Old 06-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Red I love the North, everytime I leave I can't wait to go back.

It's said that there's a bug that bites you up there & you either love the place or you hate it. Kinda like truckin...no middle ground.

I hace drove down the roads some nights & not seen a soul for hours...not a single vehicle. You feel like you have gone to another planet. There's no feeling like it NONE

Old 06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Board Member

It sounds wonderful up there... No one around, now that's what I like... Nothing but, you, nature, and peace, and quiet... It sounds like a dream... :lol:

The winters have to be brutal though?... I'm curious though, how do you manage if you have a breakdown in the middle of no where in the middle of winter?... Do you have some kind of back up power, and are able to keep warm, until help arrives?...

That would be my only concern out on those roads... Other than possibly having a run in with a Moose... :wink:

Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

In my truck I have an Espar heater, it heats the bunk & the engine, I use it religiously....zero idle for me, fuel is too expensive.

I have broken down a few times over the years up there, just been lucky that someone came along... no cell service either.

No moose, too far north, caribou & woodland buffalo

Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you saying your just about at the top of the world up there Wildkat?... :lol: I don't know the area, I'd have to look it up on a map... But, it sure does look like a beautiful place to live...

This may sound like a silly question but, do you live out in the country side there, or do you live in a more suburban area of that region?...

Is there a lot of work up that way?...

I bet the cost of living is very expensive there... What are they using for most home heating?... Oil, gas, or electric?...

What do you folks do for fun up there on your days off?... If it were me, I'd probably grab a camera, and just go walking through the wilderness photographing wildlife... Or, simply just enjoy being out in the middle of no where, enjoying the fact that there isn't anyone around to bother you... :lol: Just enjoying the sounds of silence...

I don't think you would like it down this way... You would feel caged in as far as all the people, traffic, noise, etc...

I've been looking at moving out of my home state, to somewhere like your living. But, I was looking more at the upper east coast of the US...

The only problem you run into is that if you want to live in a rural area, it makes it tougher to find a local job. You end up having to commute if you want to find work... But, who knows... I guess I just have to do more research... :lol: