User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Found the link to the following photo album on a UK drivers forum. The pics were taken by an Englishman loving his time on the ice.....

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bobthe.../IceRoads20071
Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "repete
Gee if you were a guy I'd say you were covering for your "short comings" :lol:
My hats off to anyone that has the nerve to run the ice roads, dosn't matter male or female
HAHAHAHA! I often get asked if I can see anything in front of me :lol: I just say nope... I just watch for the antennas!

It's not so bad on the ice, just gotta keep your heads on your shoulders, your stomach in your belly & your heart in your chest! Oh yeah, & your window open so you can listen to the ice "sing"!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Default Transport Topics Article

Doug Struck wrote "Inching Up an Ice Highway by Truck" for Transport Topics (3/12/07). I learned that there are many winter roads through Canada and some in Finland, Russia and Alaska. The road in Northwest Territories is the longest over-water road in the world at 360 miles, 85% on ice. It also carries the heaviest traffic. This ice road was first built in 1983 to service the Lupin Gold Mine, 250 miles north of Yellowknife. The gold mine is now closed, but four diamond mines have opened along the route.

Another post mentioned Nuna Logistics, a company that does arctic drilling and construction, and rebuilds the ice road every year for the diamond mines. The cost of the road is shared by Diavik Diamond Mines and Billiton BHP.

Doug Struck's article reported that the companies hope to send a record 10,500 truckloads out from Yellowknife during the 2007 season. Trucks leave in groups of four, every 20 minutes, night and day.

There is a squad of retired Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers who patrol the ice road to keep the truckers' speed down. I suppose the speed depends on ice thickness and vehicle weight, but the aritcle said that the mandatory speed limits are 6 mph and 15 mph. Drivers fight tedium with CB and satellite radio, CD and DVD players. Ravens will fly idly beside the trucks or perch on the mirrors demanding a bite of a trucker's sandwich.

A typical driver is a farmer or construction worker looking for winter work. They drive seven days a week for about 10 weeks, sleeping in the truck's bunk, showering and eating at the camps set up along the road. They earn $800 for the two-day trip to the BHP mine, more if they go farther up the road.

Are you still interested, Annie? In 2006, the warmest winter on record, the road opened late and melted early. Tons of needed supplies were stranded and the mining companies had to spend $100 million airlifting the cargo.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Default Re: Transport Topics Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Heyns

I suppose the speed depends on ice thickness and vehicle weight, but the aritcle said that the mandatory speed limits are 6 mph and 15 mph. Drivers fight tedium with CB and satellite radio, CD and DVD players.

A typical driver is a farmer or construction worker looking for winter work.

Are you still interested, Annie?
Well, I farmed, worked on construction, and drive tanker. So I think it would be interesting. Eh!

The one thing that bothers me. I hate driving so slooww......

Annie :roll:
Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Just came back from the north again. What a trip! Things are not always as they seem.

Ice thickness has very little to do with the speed allowed. If you drive over 20 kph (15mph) you create a wave in front of you which arrives at the shore BEFORE you. Guess what? You are now UNDER the ice instead of ON the ice. Speed is literally DEADLY!

Trucks are not allowed on the ice at full weight until the ice is 47" thick. This has been an exceptional year this year, with record cold temps to keep the ice at a premium for the needed length of time.

The rate of pay varies between companies & whether you are an o/o or co driver. It also depends on the type of freight hauled. Am looking forward to next year.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

That kind of driving takes GUTS. I love it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Of Work
That kind of driving takes GUTS. I love it.
It's truly NOT for the faint of heart!!