LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven
I've owned cats, and dogs. I currently have 2 dogs. The difference I see between the two is this; A cat while they will snuggle, play, and quietly keep you company.

A dog for some mysterious reason learns to know your very soul.

One of my dogs can tell when I wake up in the morning, and they sleep in another room in their dog beds. He will start to whimper as a sign he knows I'm awake, and wants me to get up.

The only thing I can figure is, that since he has such good hearing, he can actually hear the difference in my breathing patterns, from when I'm sound asleep, to what they are when I wake up.

Dogs are truly amazing in their ability to read people. They understand us better than we understand them. It's funny how people believe they are the superior species. If our own dogs know us better than we know them.

Here is one other thing to consider as well. Even though dogs can't speak our language obviously, it is amazing that they manage to completely comprehend everything we say to them. Of course, I do realize it isn't the words they understand, but, merely the tones, inflections, and sounds they learn to associate with what we are asking of them. But, it still is pretty amazing.

My one dog will tip his head in curiosity, when ever I say something he hasn't heard before, like a new word, I haven't used before. It is as though he is listening intently, trying to figure out the meaning of this new word.

Dogs they are just so intelligent, yet it has been proven that they have the mental capacity of a 2 year old human being.

I suppose that explains why they sometimes have their stubborn moments, or simply get into things they know they shouldn't. But, they're not stupid that's for sure.

The only thing I wish my dogs could do, that they can't is to live forever.

A friend asked me one time when I thought I would get married (I not replying by saying, why are you offering? Since he was single too.), But, I replied, "When I meet a man who makes a better companion then my dogs." Since he was a dog owner as well, he didn't have a reply, hahaha...

Well, we can all differ on the benefit of either I think. Personnaly, I am a cat person, dogs are far too "needy" for me, like living with a 2 year old :lol: :lol:

My cats love me unconditionally, but I think is how each different animal is raised. They both come when called, & when I talk to them they always "talk" back They are extremely intelligent & are great companions. Heidi rode with me in the truck for 6 years, she knew when I was tired, she also alerted me when someone got to close when I was sleeping.

Each have their own distinct personality. They know when I am up or down. They both seem to know when I need quiet time & just like to be *with* me without being *on* me. They don't require much, just to know I'll be there & are happy to see me when I get home. Maui gets so sad when I get ready to leave each Monday, it almost breaks my heart. Heidi is older & she *knows* I'll be back, so it's not such a big deal.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Here is a true story about the intelligence of a dog.

I happen to take my 2 dogs for a walk yesterday, and I decided to take them on a trail we had never walked before, that is located in local conservation land.

To get there we pass the home of dog that is the only dog in the neighborhood that my dogs will tolerate. You could say this dog is a buddy to my dogs.

We walked by this dogs home, and I said to my dogs, "Where's your buddy?" As we walked by the home, there appeared this dog. He came out of his yard, did his usual scent marking to allow my dogs to know who he was, and realize he is their "buddy", and basically do the dog version of introducing themselves to one another again.

We've walked by this dogs home many times, and even though he is not restrained to his yard, he is a friendly, well socialized dog. I learned his real name from meeting his owners one day, while I was walking my own dogs.

So, I said to the dog, "Do you want to go for a walk with us?" He looked at me, then turned, and started up the path with us. When we came to the new trail I had intended to try this day, I said, "Let's go this way." I began to walk my dogs down the trail. The other dog as usual on our walks immediately took the lead.

I think because my dogs are leashed, and this dog is not, that he thinks he is the leader of the pack, and we are just followers.

Now, what gets interesting is, that this dog when he gets to far ahead of us, he will always stop, and wait for us to catch up to him. Now this is a dog I do not own, and has no obligations to me, or my dogs.

I think he is just happy to have made friends with someone he knows likes dogs, and he considers my own dogs, his "buddies", and or, members of his "pack".

Anyway, we began to walk this new trail through the woods, and didn't know where it would lead. This dog lead us the entire way, even when there were forks in the trail. He would stop periodically checking to see if we were keeping up, and sometimes, it appeared he stopped just to show us an area of beauty. There is a river that runs along the trail, and it was funny to watch this dog stop occasionally, just to look out over the river as though he was admiring the view.

When we would get to a fork in the trail, I would say to this dog, "Which way?" He would turn, and just start down a path. We followed, and of course my dogs were simply busy sniffing, and marking the trail as we went on our way, since this was new territory to be explored. This dog would drift off the side of the trail sniffing, and marking as he went, but, would always come back to lead us, as we walked the trail.

We got to a point in the trail where it turned a bend, but, I decided it was time to turn back, and head home. The dog leading us had gone ahead of us, out of sight. So, I called his name, and whistled a few times. We stood there for a moment, and then out of no where the dog appeared.

I said, "O.K. time to go back." The dog started back down the trail we had just walked through, and my dogs followed. When we got to the end of the trail, the dog knew the walk was over for the day, and simply headed back to his yard.

Now, how many dogs do you know of that are not your own, that would behave in this way?...

Every time we walk by his home, and he sees us coming up the path, he will come out to greet us, and walk along with us. Even though his own owners take him for walks, if he sees us, and he is interested, he will come along on walks with us. Always walking ahead of us, leading the way, and pausing to wait for us to catch up, when he's gotten to far ahead of us.

It really is amazing the things dogs do... Even dogs that are not your own...

I could tell you other true stories of dogs that were not mine, that 2 dogs when I was a kid, actually saved my life. But, maybe another time... :wink:
Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Rookie

Dear Wildkat and RedRaven,
Thank You so much for the pictures and stories. I really enjoy them!!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Just in case anyone was curious, this is a photo of my second dog.

I got her 2 years after I got my male. There is a long sad story that goes along with her... :sad:

But, she's happily living with me now. My male, and her, are the best of pals... :wink:

Yes, she is a German Pinscher as well, her color is called "Red", and his coloring is called, Black and Tan... They're intelligent, amazing dogs, and I'm glad I saved them both... I'll tell you that story another time... :wink:

Old 06-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Rookie

Dear Red Raven,
Thanks for the picture! Are they on the road with you often? I bet they could scare the heck out of anyone that gets too close!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandstarAlayna
Dear Red Raven,
Thanks for the picture! Are they on the road with you often? I bet they could scare the heck out of anyone that gets too close!
I'm not a "Big Rig", truck driver... Though I do take them with me on some road trips, in my little 4x4... :lol: :wink: 8)

My male may look intimidating to some people who have pre-judgements about the Pinscher breeds to begin with, but, they are people friendly... :lol: 8)

Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Rookie
Default Litter boxes?

Where do you cat lovers put your litter boxes? I used to keep mine in the space where a refrigerator is supposed to go... and then just kept an electric cooler on the top bunk. But a couple of times the cooler bounced off the bunk and caused trouble. LOL!

I would love to hear of some creative litter box solutions!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

While I'm not familiar with the inside of a Big Rig cab, and I'm sure they are all different depending on the make, and model of truck. But, if there is the possibility of a cabinet, that has a bottom drawer. Maybe you could turn a lower cabinet drawer into a little box.

Us it as a pull out drawer (bottom drawer of course), with a plastic removable pan inside, and add a one inch layer of litter to it... Make it easy to scoop, and that may help your situation... You may have to show, and teach your cat to use it, but, it may work... Also make sure it is a drawer that can be latched closed, when not in use... To prevent any accidents... :wink:

Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Rookie

Ladies........I have a pet on board that is a sure fire way to make grown men run and Dot have respect. I carry a 5' Iguana and have since 03. He is low maintainance, doesn't have to go out in the middle of the night and most people are scared to death of him! We get along get because he isn't needy, doesn't talk back and I don't have to share my bed with him....... :moose:
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

5'? :shock: :shock:

That is one huge iguana!

Post a pic! I gotta see that thing in your truck!