User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OTR with my hubby

Hi everyone! I'm almost 34 years old and right now I am standing at a crossroads in my life. I would really appreciate any advice.

My husband is a CDL holder and is getting ready to go OTR (right now he's an instructor at a CDL training school). He really wants me to get my CDL and go out on the road with him. He's said that we can make almost six-figures if we do it together. We could really use the money to get us out of debt and FINALLY buy a house. If we went OTR together we would give up our apartment and be able to save a lot of money over the next three years.

Our plan is for me to work with him for three years then I would quit driving once we had enough money saved to buy a home and pay off our debts. He would continue driving after that point and I would stay at home (we plan to adopt children at that point).

The thing I am worried about is that I recently learned how to drive a stick-shift car. I hated it! I really wasn't that good at taking off on hills. I am a really safe driver in an automatic (I'm always teased in my family for never speeding, etc.) I'm really worried about driving an 18-wheeler because of the whole stick-shift thing as well as driving in bad weather. My husband keeps telling me that it's totally different in a tractor.

We used to work together (both from home) so I'm not worried about the aspect of spending too much time together. We've been down that course before and know how to handle that.

I really feel guilty that I have been so resistant to the idea. I've just been scared of actually committing to this lifestyle.

I would really like to hear from women who, like me, had concerns about driving in bad weather and had concerns about stick shifts. I would also like to get advise from partners who drive together.

Thank you in advance for your time! Be safe!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:25 PM

I am not a woman, but I think I can help out a little bit here. First I think your husband and you are thinking down the right path, since you have no children and have worked together before. But just keep in mind there is a big difference bewteen a apartment and a area the is not much bigger than a bathroom in a aprtment. So when you get mad at each other you can not go to another room or go for a walk. The truck has got to keep rolling so you can keep making money.

Second, I know alot of people that can't drive a stick in a car, but they can shift an 18 speed in a big truck. I know that does not make alot of sense but it does happen. After a few months in the truck you will be able to shift without even thinking about it.

Finally, if you were not a little scared about making a life style change, then you need to go to the doctor and have them check your vitals. I think everyone of us here were a little scare when we were making the choice of getting into this career.

I hope this helps you in someway.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Several years ago, I met a couple who were doing the same thing. The difference is that they were paying cash for their home. They saved and build the home themselves. It worked for them.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I spent 2 yrs riding with my BF and really wish we had NEVER bought this house...I miss him terrible!!

I have no desire to drive a truck, but I worked just the same...he pulls a flatbed so I always helped as much as I could with loading, tarping, mapping, keeping track of paperwork, ect....

Yes the truck is small and sometimes gets VERY small, but you should be OK as long as you can get along.

Take the plunge and enjoy yourself!!

tootie
Old 12-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Board Regular

My wife and I started OTR together several years ago and it will get you out of debt. For the first few years we worked hard to pay off every line of credit we had (including our mortgage). In the past year we purchased a home for $29,000 (we wanted a cheap fixer upper for a rental), bought brand new bedroom ($3800), living($2900), and dining room sets($4200), new refrigerator($1100), self-cleaning smooth top range ($650), front loading washer ($1000) and dryer ($400). We are currently on home time and purchased a home theater system ($854) with a 37inch HDTV LCD television ($1100). We paid CASH for every single item, not a dime was put on credit! Even with doing all of this we still have money in the bank, talk about an AWESOME feeling.

I will not lie to you, teaming as a company driver can be an extremely hard lifestyle at times. You have to learn how to sleep in a moving truck, and one of you will always be working in a 20-24hrs period. Tension will get high between you at times, because as someone else posted you are living in a bathroom size room and there is no room to stomp off too or the time to chill away from each other for the load has to move. However if you take the chance, in a few years you will see the results of your hard labor and it is worth it!

As for driving an 18 wheeler, my wife is 5'3" and after driving it the first time she said she had to run for the bathroom because of her nerves. Now my wife loves to drive and she can't believe she didn't do it earlier.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Board Regular

I wish I could get my wife to drive.

I think it would be fun. I know that she is miserable every time we talk and I am somewhere she has never been. That place with the beautiful sunrise, or winding river through a canyon.

Suck it up, and make the best of it. You can make a ton of money as others have said. Heck, do it for a few years, get the house and buy a truck and trailer for the DH and get your authority.

Call it "Semi-Retirement". You get it all paid for, let him go out for a week or two a month for grocery/retirement money. I am almost there, and I can't wait. Got to go home and pick up that new motor home.
:wink:
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 PM

my wife and i started driving last year and yes you will have some hard times ... it's natural ... just work them out ... living in a small 18 wheeler is tough at times ... my wife had a real hard time learning how to drive, shift, and backup ... but she kept at it and is doing fine now ... as far as the money ... you can make well over $110,000 the second year driving as a team ... we will make more then that our first year but we don't sit to much our wheels are turning daily
Old 12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Rookie

Hey All,
just signed on to the forum this place looks great, I'm going to be a New Truckee " as they say in Jan. So I'm glad I found somewhere to talk to another female about things out there...

As for going on the road with hubby "Go For It " I will tell you this I'm a 41 yof that has just change careers "CDL" a third time, because of the money and the chance to drive. My 3yo new husband also has his Cdl's but he drives local been trying to talk him into going team but he won't have nothing to do with living out of a "suitcase" as he puts it. So I'll be going at it solo for now and he can take care of the house, and the dogs, and the horses and the laundry and the bills,...lol.

Remember one thing if your husband didn't love you he wouldn't want you in his truck, so what are you waiting for everyone I know that drives team says it is worth it,...

Thanks for letting me drop my 2 cents, keep the shiny side up and the rubberside a turnin...... :twisted:
Old 12-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Rookie

Just my 2 cents -

I drove solo for 6 months and then my hubby went to school and we have been teaming since June. We have had our moments - good and bad - but I wouldn't give up my time with him and this experience for anything.

To this day I have never driven a standard transmission in a car or pickup. My first experience with a stick shift was the big truck. If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

You have to be patient - something I am constantly trying to be better at.

Go for it and enjoy it.

TBird
Old 12-24-2006, 04:51 AM

I went thru the same thing in November of 2005. Quit my job of almost 10 years, sold our house, moved to another state, got an apt, went to CDL school and went on the road to team with my hubby. It will be hard at first but over time you get used to it. Hubby has wanted to boot me off the truck a few times and vice versa but if you have good communication and can work things out then you should have no problems.

I have to say that this lifestyle isnt for everyone but the rewards are worth it to me! We are out of debt, enjoying seeing different places, and finally getting to put $ in the bank for savings.

I wish you BOL in your decision....just remember that there are alot of drivers here that can answer your questions. Alot have "been there, done that" and are really helpful. I learned alot by reading alot of the other newbie questions when I first came to this site. Let us know how its going.. Trudy (mtdewr)