User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hi

As a Canadian am I able to work in the US as a driver, and do you know what kind of paper I need in the US as a driver.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Board Regular

Try the likes the of kindersly. Yankee. Bison. Arnold bros. Winnipeg motor express. Deck x. All dry vans. I know women that drive for them all, it dos'nt matter where you live, these companies run Canada and US.
If that don't work, try a smaller company or a o/o, just keep looking,we need two drivers at this time ,there is six of us should be eight. Big is not always best, what you need to start, is a job, then you can go to where you want to be after,
If you drive for a Canadian firm all you need is two pieces of photo id one will soon have to be a passport.best of luck to you just don't give up

if you aim at nothing that is just what you will hit
Old 11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhauler
Try the likes the of kindersly. Yankee. Bison. Arnold bros. Winnipeg motor express. Deck x. All dry vans. I know women that drive for them all, it dos'nt matter where you live, these companies run Canada and US.
If that don't work, try a smaller company or a o/o, just keep looking,we need two drivers at this time ,there is six of us should be eight. Big is not always best, what you need to start, is a job, then you can go to where you want to be after,
If you drive for a Canadian firm all you need is two pieces of photo id one will soon have to be a passport.best of luck to you just don't give up
Thanks
I need to know about US company and what kind of paper I need to have
Old 11-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa
Hi

As a Canadian am I able to work in the US as a driver, and do you know what kind of paper I need in the US as a driver.
If you mean driving for an American company in the US, and you are a Canadian citizen I don't think you can unless you have dual citizenship, or a work visa
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Board Regular

the trucking industry in Ontario right now is very slow because trade with the US is down because of the high Canadian Dollar, alot of companys are not hiring right now because of this, hopefully it will pick up in the new year
Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 AM

What about trying out West, like Alberta. I hear they are crying for truck drivers and will gladly take women. But like mothertrucker62 said, you have to crawl before you walk! You may have to take a job that is not exactly what you want to get some experience. I started out on a single axle, then tandem, then tri-axle, then tractor trailer.....
Old 12-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Rookie
Default driving

As a Canadian citizen you must have a work visa(green card) to drive for a company in the USA. And most places I called here for you, they said they want a min of 6 mo. experience. My insurance company will not let me hire anyone with less than 3 verifiable years. Wish you the best, if it was me that paid for a school and they said they would help with job placement I would be beating their door down daily.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Rookie
Default Re: driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby
As a Canadian citizen you must have a work visa(green card) to drive for a company in the USA. And most places I called here for you, they said they want a min of 6 mo. experience. My insurance company will not let me hire anyone with less than 3 verifiable years. Wish you the best, if it was me that paid for a school and they said they would help with job placement I would be beating their door down daily.
I whish to be like you
Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 AM

Ottawa: You said that the Co-Op company that the school refers students to would not hire you. This makes me wonder, why? The Co-Op company must have felt that you were not a confident enough driver or experienced enough to take a chance on you. Therefore, if I was in your position, I would find a local company and get some experience. When I started out, I worked for a man that had one dump truck. (those are the ones to ask for a job) I had another job and worked for him on the weekends for no pay just to learn how to drive a truck. The industry I am currently employed in took me 3 years of "hounding" the company for a job. In the meantime, I kept driving the dump truck for no pay. It all paid off in the end. The gears are all the same whether it is a straight truck or a tractor trailer. It is the experience that you want. Be resourceful, look in the phone book. Usually the small construction companies in the rural areas are the ones that will take a chance on you.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joettanne
Ottawa: You said that the Co-Op company that the school refers students to would not hire you. This makes me wonder, why? The Co-Op company must have felt that you were not a confident enough driver or experienced enough to take a chance on you. Therefore, if I was in your position, I would find a local company and get some experience. When I started out, I worked for a man that had one dump truck. (those are the ones to ask for a job) I had another job and worked for him on the weekends for no pay just to learn how to drive a truck. The industry I am currently employed in took me 3 years of "hounding" the company for a job. In the meantime, I kept driving the dump truck for no pay. It all paid off in the end. The gears are all the same whether it is a straight truck or a tractor trailer. It is the experience that you want. Be resourceful, look in the phone book. Usually the small construction companies in the rural areas are the ones that will take a chance on you.
Happy New Year at first
You know that's not true. I am an exellent driver, I am driving manuel car, and never have had an accident and very good at driving.
Some people have a chance to get hired from co-op some don't. I am not very lucky. The school has a lot off students and cannot hire everyone.
I have no job yet but will have one soon.

Thanks