User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Did you ever think about how many 10 dollar showers you would have to sell to cover the amout of overhead you suggested?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Rookie

Like previously stated, with what you would have to pay to provide these services, prices would escalate so high that noone would use them. Good luck anyway!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 AM

I personally think you may be on to something but I'd think most travelers/truckers would be more inclined to visit a place where they could get some healthy meals, good coffee, maybe some fruit drinks (smoothys) and while there get a clean, hot quick shower. I see it like this:

Park your rig, use the restroom, go in, order a nice turkey sandwich, lettuce, tomatoe, etc.. the real stuff here, a side salad, and a grande mocha all to go. Hit the shower for 15 minutes, in the mean time the sandwich is being made FRESH, have that ready for me in a to go container, and I'll pay for it just before the door hits me in the ass as I'm heading back to my rig.

I'm not driving yet but that's what I think I'd like to see. Hell, I'd stop in there doing a road trip in my car. The key would be quick, clean, affordable, and quick. Did I say quick?

That MY 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
I personally think you may be on to something but I'd think most travelers/truckers would be more inclined to visit a place where they could get some healthy meals, good coffee, maybe some fruit drinks (smoothys) and while there get a clean, hot quick shower. I see it like this:

Park your rig, use the restroom, go in, order a nice turkey sandwich, lettuce, tomatoe, etc.. the real stuff here, a side salad, and a grande mocha all to go. Hit the shower for 15 minutes, in the mean time the sandwich is being made FRESH, have that ready for me in a to go container, and I'll pay for it just before the door hits me in the ass as I'm heading back to my rig.

I'm not driving yet but that's what I think I'd like to see. Hell, I'd stop in there doing a road trip in my car. The key would be quick, clean, affordable, and quick. Did I say quick?

That MY 2 cents.

You just described a truckstop (or at least what they are SUPPOSED to be)
Old 12-16-2006, 03:54 AM

Oh wow...

As a truck driver, and a commerce student... I would suggest this would probably fail.

Your target market *is not* "all truck drivers in the United States/North America/Canada/whatever." Your target market is "all truck drivers passing through our location who want elegant facilities."

I'm sure you'd get some use of the facility... however, by and large, truckers are on the road to... truck. When they aren't driving, they are sleeping, fueling, pre-tripping, loading, unloading, etc. They are busy, and generally want to get wherever they are going sooner than they possibly can - to either make more money, or to get back to their families. You'll get some use of the facility - some people will want it, it sounds nice, etc. Personally, I would never use it. It wouldn't be too relaxing, because I would be cutting out an hour or two of sleep I could be getting. What is nice is a nice warm shower, and that's already provided. Some will use it, but not anywhere near enough to pay for it.

Now, let's say you did set this up close enough to a truck stop that truckers could visit it... and by a miracle you were profitable! The truck stop would probably install a jacuzzi, and charge people ~$10-12 to use it, undercutting you, taking the customers, and driving you out of business.

I would not invest in this.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulldev
Oh wow...

As a truck driver, and a commerce student... I would suggest this would probably fail.

Your target market *is not* "all truck drivers in the United States/North America/Canada/whatever." Your target market is "all truck drivers passing through our location who want elegant facilities."

I'm sure you'd get some use of the facility... however, by and large, truckers are on the road to... truck. When they aren't driving, they are sleeping, fueling, pre-tripping, loading, unloading, etc. They are busy, and generally want to get wherever they are going sooner than they possibly can - to either make more money, or to get back to their families. You'll get some use of the facility - some people will want it, it sounds nice, etc. Personally, I would never use it. It wouldn't be too relaxing, because I would be cutting out an hour or two of sleep I could be getting. What is nice is a nice warm shower, and that's already provided. Some will use it, but not anywhere near enough to pay for it.

Now, let's say you did set this up close enough to a truck stop that truckers could visit it... and by a miracle you were profitable! The truck stop would probably install a jacuzzi, and charge people ~$10-12 to use it, undercutting you, taking the customers, and driving you out of business.

I would not invest in this.
I hate to say it, but it is true. Truckers are the underbelly of the underbelly. They squeek over a penny, but would not know what to do with a bazillion of them. Get my drift? Ain't no money in the run of the mill truck driver. Because I know what they make. Sad, but true.

But that is our own fault as an industry, again, sad but true. :cry:
Old 12-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie
We appreciate your input! We don't expect to make every driver a customer, but we think some of the drivers would use this facility.

As far as finding a hotel that provides the amenties we provide (other than a bed), its going to cost a minimum of $ 175/night. Our facility would be $ 15.00 - $ 20.00.

Again, we know its not for everybody, but there's millions of drivers on the road and if we can be of service to 1% , then we would be happy.
$15 -$20 for your service, compared to the motel 6 sign down the street advertising 39.99 for the night. Which one do you think I am going to pick? The majority of drivers don't pay for their showers now. So many of us barely get paid enough to survive, so what makes you think they are going to start paying now. I'm not even trying to be bitchy. I am just stating a fact.