User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default taking my cat on the truck.

Has anyone ever had their cat on the truck? My husband and I team and want to start taking our cat with us. I would like to hear from anyone with some feedback.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Board Regular

We have had a cat on board with us since we started trucking. We made a cubby hole into his cat litter box area, and we change out the litter every day. He has been taught that the passenger side and the bunk are where he belongs and to leave the driver alone while they are driving. He loves to sleep on the dash (on the right side) as we go down the road. He seems to enjoy being out here with us, he doesn't miss anything that goes by and he is a great companion to talk to late at night when my spouse is asleep.

Have your cat's vaccinations up to date and a copy of the records with you in case of questioning or a veterinarian emergency. Have a cat carrier to place the cat in when your truck is being worked on.

If your cat is not used to riding in a vehicle, train him/her PRIOR to getting in a truck with him/her. The training may take several weeks. Start by taking them in your personal vehicle (in a cat carrier) for short rides, work up to longer and longer. When you feel the cat is comfortable, go to a parking lot and have your spouse holding the cat and drive around the parking lot. Repeat as many days as necessary until it relaxes, then release the cat (still driving in the parking lot) and repeat. After the cat is completely comfortable, try driving slowly through residential areas and then work up to major streets/highways.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!