User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Going to orientation soon-Please Advise

I completed school here in upstate NY. I took a 'prehire' job with Stevens. I start orientation on Sept. 16th, in Dallas. I'm doing some shopping and need to know what is practical or what yous think I should have that maybe nobody told you to bring. I also need boots or work shoes, any clue on what's best? Please be specific. Other than that I'm getting those jitter feelings of excitement and can't wait to start a new career! Oh! I am nervous about one thing. During school I was the only girl, and I was always catching grief for not being able to open the hoods of the volvo and freightliner. Anyone out there with same problem, help! Also any ideas on the pros and cons of male/female trainers? The recruiter is pushing me towards a man due to shortages of women but wouldn't women have a different take of living on the road? Thanks for all your help, I'm so glad I stumbled across this site. Saratoga
Old 09-03-2006, 02:54 AM

I started w/stevens transport. I was a Trainer for 18 months after 1 year of no accidents. It is a good training company, but a terrible company to work for if you want to "get by the house"

Pack as light as possible. 2-3 weeks of clothing mostly jeans and tee shirts. you will be able to wash clothes on the road. Bring: Pillow, sleeping bag and if you get cold a blanket. Remember, you are sharing a drivers house. For your shower bag get a small soft-side bag. The truck stop will supply towels, washcloth and soap. In your shower bag bring a change of clothes shampoo and "female kit". Hair dryer is optional. You MUST wear boots to take their road tests. Wear them around a little b4, don't wait to put them on in Mesquite to find out they are uncomfortable.

Your trainer will show you the ropes, then your trainee partner and you will figure out the rest! Don't plan on seeing home for at least 8-9 weeks during training unless you live in Texas or one of their lanes..!

Get your 6 months in with no accidents or incidents (Stevens likes to call any and all small scrapes a accident) and you will be able to hire on with a "REAL" company. Most other companies pay 6cents per mile more which equals about $5,000-$6,000. more per year.

After you spend 1 week at Mesquite (Dallas) and then 6 weeks or more with a trainer, you will go team running with another trainee for 3-4 weeks. If all goes well you will get a truck after 2-3 more days in training at Dallas with Billy Bob Talent and Aaron and they will "try" and get you a load by the house.

Plan on being out for 6 weeks and 6 days off after you go solo. Good luck
Old 09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Your going to ride the greyhound bus from NY to Dallas,TX?

Not in my lifetime. :sad:
Old 09-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Being on a bus for two to three days?? No Way!!! I decided to splurge and get a plane ticket. They say they'll reimburse up to $200. My ticket cost about $150, so we'll see. Anyway about my first post if anyone has info and ideas please let me know. Thanks! Toga
Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Going to orientation soon-Please Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga
I'm doing some shopping and need to know what is practical or what yous think I should have that maybe nobody told you to bring. I also need boots or work shoes, any clue on what's best? Please be specific. Other than that I'm getting those jitter feelings of excitement and can't wait to start a new career! Oh! I am nervous about one thing. During school I was the only girl, and I was always catching grief for not being able to open the hoods of the volvo and freightliner. Anyone out there with same problem, help! Also any ideas on the pros and cons of male/female trainers? The recruiter is pushing me towards a man due to shortages of women but wouldn't women have a different take of living on the road? Thanks for all your help, I'm so glad I stumbled across this site. Saratoga
Congrats on getting through school and heading towards the road!

I had a little trouble too with the hoods of some of the thousand year old trucks that were used at my school but I can tell you two things that helped once I was on the road: One, the trucks won't be old yard trucks and will be in much better condition and Two, if when you flip the ''strap'' on each side of the hood, you push the hood UP from each side, it will pop up much easier from the front. I have never much used the ''step up'' on the front of the truck (because I am super clumsy and do better when I keep both feet on the ground as often as possible).

As for work boots, I won't suggest a particular brand but I will say getting something that hits right at or just above your ankle will be most comfortable to drive in as anything higher can dig into your calves after a while. Also, pay attention to the thickness of the sole because you want something with traction but not something so stacked that it makes walking or climbing into the truck a pain. Meaning, if the sole is too thick it can be a trick to judge how high to lift your leg without the sole ''catching'' on the steps. And lastly, too high of a step will make you feel like a high-stepping horse when walking because with socks and a thick sole, it's hard to ''feel'' the ground.

As for male/female trainers, they are all, presumably, professionals and gender shouldn't be an issue. You just want to learn, they just want to train. This isn't always the case as there are definately some trainers, of both genders, who aren't concerned with teaching and if you find yourself with one of those, of either sex, speak up to safety and get another trainer.

But for the most part, trainers just want to get you through your hours behind the wheel and upgraded to solo. Unless you, personally, don't feel like you would be at ease with a man, I would say take whatever is available first, male or female, and get through training. But if you, for whatever reason, feel like you would progress better with a female trainer, don't let recruiting or anyone else talk you into going with a male. It's your training and only you can know what is best for you.

As for packing, PACK LIGHT! Or as light as possible. Those trucks can be really, really tight if you bring every single thing ''suggested''. Make sure you have a coat (and gloves, both to wear for warmth and to fuel) and also, if possible, a light rain coat to keep from getting soaked. Bring enough clothes for a week to ten days (you can do your laundry while in training; I don't know why companies tell trainees to pack enough clothes for 3-4 weeks), bring bedding that is comfortable for you ( a sleeping bag or twin size sheet set and blanket with pillow) and maybe a few books to read or puzzle books to pass the time when you're waiting on a load or winding down at night. Leave tv's, coolers, laptops, cb's and all the ''play pretties'' until you have upgraded into your own truck. I know that sounds like common sense but you would be amazed at what some people show up with for training. Hopefully your trainer will already have a cooler and that can save you some serious $$ on the road, just on cold drinks alone.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

saratoga .. I wish I could tell which boots were the best ... but maybe this will help ... a thread on that subject ...

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ighlight=boots

As far as driving with a male or female Trainer .... Either one will do. The company your going with generally won't put a female in the truck with a male that is 'known' to disrespect a lady. Because you can sue the company as well as the trainer if he does. So I wouldn't worry to much on that part ...... As long as you 'always' carry yourself with respect - he will treat you the same way. Now if you want to flirt with him or talk about sex .... then you've just opened the door to unwanted remarks. ......... In some ways, I think you'd get a better training from a male only because chances are - he's been on the road longer than a female trainer and he will expect you to do everything needed to work and live in the truck. ... And some female trainers .... haven't been out there long enough to experience all the aspects of trucking .. like mountain driving - high cross winds in the valleys - chaining up on ice and snow - there's just so many different things.

When your company goes to set you up with someone .... have a list of questions set up that you want to ask. Like - how long has this Trainer been driving and have they driven all 48 states and canada ... How long has this trainer been with the company? .. Do their trainers have to go through any 'special' training -before- they became a trainer for the company? .......... Then have a separate list of questions to ask the trainer your set up with. This list is to hopefully help - both of you break the ice and from day one ... help to enlighten both of you on each others personality. If you want a list of questions to help break the ice let me know and I'll PM them to you. ...

Remember one thing .... who ever trains you .... the tractor you get into is 'their' home. Their prepared to give you space to keep your personal belongings ... but treat their home as if you would walking into a strangers house ...

good luck ...

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Rookie
Default RE: Advise for orientation

Wow, Thank you for the help! The more I read and the more info I recieve is making me feel that much more comfortable with going out there. Also For4Roses, please yes thank you send me those questions on breaking the ice. I hope I get to meet up with you all out there someday! Happy Labor Day cause I'm sure you don't get the day off. :wink:
Toga
Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

saratoga ... check your PM :wink:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Default Good luck !!!!!!!!!!

Good luck at orientation,Hope u get a great trainer !!!!!!!!!!!