User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I carried my 357 magum for a while. But I was to concerned about crossing the border in Canada. So I made the decision to just leave it at home. An employee that was working for CFI when I was driving for them, had a gun when he crossed the boarder - they located it in his truck - and the last I've heard is - - their still trying to get him out of jail and back to the states. If it wasn't for Canada I would of carried one all the time. I was never fearful of the drivers parked around me, it was the drifters that came knocking on your door wee hours .

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I used to keep a gun in my truck. Like you, Roses, I stopped when I began running into Canada. I nearly made the mistake of crossing the border once with the gun. Fortunately, I remembered that I had it and stored it before making the trip. Canadians really frown on taking guns across the border. They will throw you in jail in a heartbeat if you are caught. I met a guy once who told me that he regularly crosses the border with a gun. It isn't worth the risk from my point of view. I haven't crossed the border in years. If I did I would make sure to NOT have a gun in my truck. You are asking for a lot of trouble if you do. No matter how much some of you think that the U.S. and Canada are the same, Canada is a different country with different rules and laws. While some are similar, they don't allow people to cross into the country with guns. There are some ways in which you can cross with guns, but is rather involved and not for the average driver. If you cross the border you will do well to leave the arsenal at home. As I recall, we had a father come on here once who told us about his son being caught with a gun at the border. They arrested him and confiscated his truck, as I recall. I believe that it is a $10,000 fine if they catch you. It is their country. They make the rules. If you plan on crossing the border then you need to be familiar with their laws.

In this country, laws can differ from city to city, state to state. While it is not against the law to have a gun in your truck, you could be violating local ordinances by having one in your possession. If you do keep a gun in your truck I would keep the information quiet. It isn't something that you want to broadcast. And never pull a gun and point it at someone unless you are prepared to use it.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Rookie

Not sure how true this is but from what I heard:

If you don't have a permit, keep ammo seperate and your gun in a case while you are travelling.

Once you stop for 10 hour break the truck then becomes your "dwelling" or home, you then can go back to sleeper and you can sleep with loaded gun next to you.(obviuosly as long as you don't have any felonys or disabilities for carrying a firearm.)

Once you wake up and start to move again, unload gun, place gun in case and store ammo in seperate place (under bunk) and you will be fine because you are not traveling with a loaded weapon.

Don't take my word on this, I heard this on XM radio road dog trucking. I know in New York, Canada, Mexico and places like that you are screwed even with an unloaded gun.

This is such a fuzzy topic, there seems to be different opinions with everybody.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need

Last edited by Lost_in_Ohio; 04-15-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_in_Ohio View Post
Not sure how true this is but from what I heard:

If you don't have a permit, keep ammo seperate and your gun in a case while you are travelling.

Once you stop for 10 hour break the truck then becomes your "dwelling" or home, you then can go back to sleeper and you can sleep with loaded gun next to you.(obviuosly as long as you don't have any felonys or disabilities for carrying a firearm.)

Once you wake up and start to move again, unload gun, place gun in case and store ammo in seperate place (under bunk) and you will be fine because you are not traveling with a loaded weapon.

Don't take my word on this, I heard this on XM radio road dog trucking. I know in New York, Canada, Mexico and places like that you are screwed even with an unloaded gun.

This is such a fuzzy topic, there seems to be different opinions with everybody.
It's my understanding that the only guns allowed, legally, in a truck are "signal launchers" (flare guns) and "pneumatic markers" (paint-ball guns). I carried a "pick handle" for a few years, and in some truck stops, I had it resting in my lap. After a while, I left that home too. The one time I was faced with a gun, having one on me would have done no good at all. Neither would the pick handle. When you're cranking the landing gear up or down, and find yourself face to face with a gun, the one you have inside the truck isn't much use. I also know of a North American driver that had a gun in his truck in Indiana, and I believe he's still in prison there. For the percentage of time that it might actually be useful to a driver, I don't see any good reason to carry one.

I'm also reminded of a customer in VT. The guy on the dock told me his cousin was a State Trooper. When his cousin was getting a divorce, he decided to take all his guns to his sister's house.... Across the line into Canada. At the boarder they found the guns. The fact that he was a State Trooper in VT didn't count for anything. They still locked him up. When I talked to the guy, it was three weeks later, and his cousin still wasn't home.

On one trip across the boarder at Derby Line, when I was asked if I had any weapons, I held up a screw driver. The guy smiled and said "We use those up here too."

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Well, I'm afraid my vote goes against carrying a firearm in a CMV. Back in about 2000, in Indiana, several CB RAMBO's were having at it. You know the routine... "PULL IT OVER RIGHT NOW, AND I'LL SHOW YOU" The guy that pulled it over (I think it was Covenant) did so to relieve some bladder pressure. He knew nothing about any rambos. North American pulled it over right behind him, got out and crossed to the shoulder... And put two 9-MM slugs into Covenant's driver's chest, then got back into his truck and left. That happened about the 60 mile marker, or so. The police caught up with North American at about the 120 mile marker. Covenant was flown to the hospital by chopper.

If they allow guns in CMV's, who do you suppose is going to be the first to arm themselves? And, what do you suppose those RAMBOs are going to do with them? NO GUNS IN TRUCKS!!!!!

There are enough other alternatives that you DO NOT NEED ONE THAT BAD.
Seriously bro ? I respect your opinion but on this you're dead wrong.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Rookie

The original post was about ones right (choice) to carry a loaded gun if he/she has a concealed carry weapon ( CCW ) license, not wether everyone agrees with carrying a weapon. I honestly believe, hopefully, there will be future legislation addressing this issue. The CCW allows the holder to carry a loaded weapon anywhere with the exception of government buildings, public schools, day care facilities and all private property unless marked otherwise. Since the CCW law does not specifically prohibit state commercial motor vehicles, the laws conflict with one another.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Rookie

You are correct with the exception of either the gun or ammo under the bunk. The gun and ammo can't both be accessable in the area of a vehicle that carries passengers. One or the other needs to be in the trunk, in the bed or trailer or even under the hood if that works for you. Historically this was enaced to allow for transportation of firearms for legal sporting purposes. A CCW license allows you to pack loaded on your person or in the vehicle. If pulled over, the permit holder is required by law to immediately inform the officer that he/she is a permit holder and a weapon is present.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Rookie

I think every arguement carries a lot of weight, I drive local, when I go into a bad area I carry.......but for a long distance driver if you run in canada they will seize if they find it. I think you do what you want to, there are always a few bad apples in life ultimately it's your decision.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretstep View Post
You are correct with the exception of either the gun or ammo under the bunk. The gun and ammo can't both be accessable in the area of a vehicle that carries passengers. One or the other needs to be in the trunk, in the bed or trailer or even under the hood if that works for you. Historically this was enaced to allow for transportation of firearms for legal sporting purposes. A CCW license allows you to pack loaded on your person or in the vehicle. If pulled over, the permit holder is required by law to immediately inform the officer that he/she is a permit holder and a weapon is present.

You are assumeing that ALL states are the same and will honour your state's CCW, That is not the case! If you don't believe me just stop and ask any Ma. NJ or NY cop. Informing an officer of a weapon when stopped is also up to the state law. Under Fed. law you may transport an unloaded and locked or cased weapon , but as soon as you load it THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING

As nice as a Federal CCW sounds do you really want the Feds to have that kind of power over the state? If the Feds could mandate the states to honour a CCW they could also limit who,what,when, and how much! Kinda like your allowed no more than 50rnds of any one caliber!! I could burn that up REAL quick!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
You are assumeing that ALL states are the same and will honour your state's CCW, That is not the case! If you don't believe me just stop and ask any Ma. NJ or NY cop. Informing an officer of a weapon when stopped is also up to the state law. Under Fed. law you may transport an unloaded and locked or cased weapon , but as soon as you load it THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING

As nice as a Federal CCW sounds do you really want the Feds to have that kind of power over the state? If the Feds could mandate the states to honour a CCW they could also limit who,what,when, and how much! Kinda like your allowed no more than 50rnds of any one caliber!! I could burn that up REAL quick!
What is the difference in honoring each states driver's license, or marriages?