User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 03:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default becoming a driver

any one can drive but if you dont like it you wont be happy most companys will never get you home ev weekend and u also need to see if you like driving or touring most company maker you a rider first and if you dont fullfill your obligation they will charge u for it be sure and check every thing out about the company alot of them are very strict on what you have to pay for like tires towing and so on if you cant prove its not your fault i haVE BEEN driving over 15yrs and i love it and allways will i am on owner operater i drive flat bed and im home eve 2 to 3 wks by choice because i dont have a boss its a lot nicer for making decisions but it was hard till i had my truck payed off now its allright take care and be wise in your decision and you could take your dog with you with most companies but they may charge you a DEPOSIT IN CASE THE TRUCK GETS DAMAGED BECAUSE OF THE ANIMAL LATER DAVID :lol:
Old 11-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Considering Trucking! Can anyone advise me?

5. How many of you have read "Driver" by Phillip Wilson? I'm about halfway through it, and it makes trucking sound like a pretty cool career choice.

Good book, I also read it. Another great book that had all the answers I was looking for is available at www.newbiedriver.com

6. Are trucking jobs readily available in Canada, and if so, if I trained down here, will my Class A CDL transfer up there? My ultimate goal is to relocate to Toronto someday, and the $$$ I earn from trucking will be a huge step in making that dream come true.

Challenger is a very good company to work for. They are located in Cambridge (not far from Toronto). www.challenger.com I drove for them for a few months before I had to stay home :cry: I really, really MISS it!!

7. How dangerous is trucking for solo women drivers?

Its as bad as you make it lol. Always show confidence!! You will know and learn what stops are bad. Never let your guard down. I was nervous as usual for a new driver when I went out the very first time. I was more worried about deleivery times and incorrect directions! It happened alot to me the first few days out. Trip palnning is soooo very important. Always call the shipper/receiver for directions if you are unsure.

Good luck on your decision
Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 PM

Hey Everyone!

I graduated from trucking school Friday, but unfortunately I didn't pass my CDL the first time around. I'm planning to take it again on my own this coming Thursday. The school said they would work with me and they want me to come up and practice and do a few runs with one of their drivers. I'm really hoping I pass Thursday because I hated my trucking school. When we went to a training facility that also ran a trucking school, my classmates and I were floored at how nice the school/testing place was. Paved training area (huge) paved testing area (as big as our entire range) huge clean bathrooms...and to top it off, the school cost $1000 LESS than our rathole, which I promptly termed the Ghetto School, or the Skid Row School of Trucking. Only two out of our class of four passed the first time, and at least one had some sort of experience; the other guy had driven trailers (U-Haul and similar) in the past, plus he really didn't care if he passed or not because he hated that place about as much as I did. At least the school really wants me to pass the CDL, which will happen eventually. They are not charging me extra for the additional practice I will need, but I really, really hope I pass Thursday at the testing facility (I'm renting their truck, not using the school's vehicle) because I really want to do this on my own. I never want to see my range instructor again. He disliked women, it was so obvious. And on certain things I was trying to do, he's like, "well I can't tell you how to do it, you need to figure it out for yourself." And THIS is what I paid $4300 for???

There's LOTS more I can say about this school, but this is it for now...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Board Regular

There are many jobs available in Canada. When I started the Jobcenter in my area was a great help in finding listings for trucking companies and helping me set up interviews. Didn't take very long at all to get a job with one. I started there before I moved to the States. When I came to Wisconsin, I was allowed to transfer my Class AZ (CDL) down here. The DOT didn't have a problem with that. The only thing was that I wasn't able to transfer my Hazmat to here. They said I would have to redo that . I've been told that moving from the States to Canada wouldn't be a problem for my licensing if I decided to return at some future time. At least that's what the DOT in Ontario told me.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Rookie
Default A Newbie to Conversation

It was interesting to read through this thread, nice to see other women going through the 30-something mid-career crises lol. I myself am 37 and trying to find my way through the haze of career choices. Though I have worked in an office environment prior to having kids, receptionist positions and the like became mundane after while with little chance for advancement and good earnings. Now I am in school for security and private investigation, which has potential but is still low in the income scale for now and having a hard time putting forth the income needed to pay the bills.

I have thought about truck driving here and there throughout my life. I don't know if I can see myself as one. I do love to travel, I don't mind being alone for a time. At the same time it is hard thinking of being away from my children weeks at a time, to which I know deep down I wouldn't do. It would have to be a position that allows me home on the weekends.

It is tough as a woman to balance career and family and I applaud the women out there doing it gracefully with success. There are so many issues in every profession that are unique in how they affect the family life. I would be interested in what other women's experiences/issues are specifically to this field. Not only are there family issue to consider but the type of physical labor that goes along with the job. I really know nothing about how it works and reading through this forum without understanding the 'trucking definitions' and how it all works leaves me a little confused. That is why I am reading up on it. The consideration is there.

As I write, this thought popped up in my mind... I wonder if I would be one of those drivers I have seen in the city that got the truck stuck turning the corner about to take down the light post LOL. Scary thought.

Anyhow, just putting my thoughts out there. Wishing everyone a great week!

ILGAL
Old 11-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Rookie
Default Take a look at Watkins and Sheppard.

I am a team driver for them and Have been driveing for them a little over 6 months now and we have consistantly been well treated. they have runs in and out of canada.
they also allow pets. I have been driveing for them a little over 6 months now and we have consistantly been well treated.
80% give or take solo and Team loads are drop and hook. love that!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 AM

Finally passed my test and waiting for a trainer. It's a long story that I've told elsewhere, but long story short, it's been a year since I started this whole trucking odyssey. Seems like there's been one thing after another and the latest thing is being stuck with my current company. Why? Because I graduated from my second trucking school January 26. Since it was such a long time ago, I'd have to take a refresher course before another company would hire me. Believe me, I've posted my application on the Internet, and I've gotten plenty of responses, but when they realize how long ago I graduated, that's why most of the companies aren't actively pursuing me.

Anyway, hopefully things will get better. I'm going back down to Indy Thursday to hopefully get a better trainer soon.