View Poll Results: Do you keep a cooler with fresh fruits & vegies?
Yes 8 66.67%
No 2 16.67%
Sometimes 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hygiene & Substance

Hi Folks; I'm new in trucking and I'll be going OTR in a few weeks with a trainer. I was wondering if anyone could post some tips on how you handle hygiene matters while OTR (especially feminine). And, what is recommended to keep in the truck, in general. A basic run-down of OTR necessities to have on hand. Thanks, in advance, for your advice. Qball.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Qball792, Welcome to CAD and trucking. I believe For4roses made a good list about this very subject a couple of months ago. You might do a search for some of her posts to find it. One important thing I keep in the truck are baby wipes. I am male and I didn't mean to hijack your post, but these can really come in handy in a pinch. My wife has traveled with me some, so I will make a note of a few things we can all carry with us. You want to take a change of clothes for a week or two. Dress casual, but neat. Basic hygiene should include your toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant, hair spray and brushes or combs. Some women find it advantageous to wear their hair shorter. You will be able to take a shower at most truck stops. They are free when you purchase at least 50 gallons of fuel. A few require 75 gallons. You might want to get some flip flops to wear in the shower. Some Lysol or similar antibacterial spray for the shower is preferable. Showers are supposed to be cleaned after each use, but you never know how well these people do their jobs. A hair dryer is something you probably want to carry with you. I usually keep a jacket, coat and gloves in my truck year around. It can be 80 degrees in Georgia, but 15 in Wyoming. I keep a pair of boots in the truck but usually wear a pair of high top leather work shoes with traction like tread on the soles. If you are going to be running in the snow, you will certainly want to have a pair of boots. Given a choice, I would opt for the boots. There can be several feet of snow in parts of this country, not to mention Canada. I don't know whether you will be running up there, but I thought I would throw that in. I always carry my own soap. Most truck stops furnish soap, but I prefer my own. I make a point of carrying my own wash cloth and towel. I don't usually need it, but just in case, I have it. Since you will be sharing a bunk with someone else, space will be at a premium. You will need some way to keep your things together. I suggest a large gym bag or one of those suitcase like bags with wheels underneath. I bought one at an Army Navy store for about $20-30. It is made of canvas and has held up well. When you get your own truck, you might think of getting a port-a-pottie. The least expensive one I found is about $70 or $80. You can find them at most WalMarts and sporting goods stores. Good luck. 8)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Rookie

:shock: wow... I'm new to all this as well and i'm never thought of the things you'd need to bring when going over the road. Of course I'm still a student. But as a female I just never thought of it.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Qball792, Welcome to CAD and trucking. I believe For4roses made a good list about this very subject a couple of months ago. You might do a search for some of her posts to find it. One important thing I keep in the truck are baby wipes. I am male and I didn't mean to hijack your post, but these can really come in handy in a pinch. My wife has traveled with me some, so I will make a note of a few things we can all carry with us. You want to take a change of clothes for a week or two. Dress casual, but neat. Basic hygiene should include your toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant, hair spray and brushes or combs. Some women find it advantageous to wear their hair shorter. You will be able to take a shower at most truck stops. They are free when you purchase at least 50 gallons of fuel. A few require 75 gallons. You might want to get some flip flops to wear in the shower. Some Lysol or similar antibacterial spray for the shower is preferable. Showers are supposed to be cleaned after each use, but you never know how well these people do their jobs. A hair dryer is something you probably want to carry with you. I usually keep a jacket, coat and gloves in my truck year around. It can be 80 degrees in Georgia, but 15 in Wyoming. I keep a pair of boots in the truck but usually wear a pair of high top leather work shoes with traction like tread on the soles. If you are going to be running in the snow, you will certainly want to have a pair of boots. Given a choice, I would opt for the boots. There can be several feet of snow in parts of this country, not to mention Canada. I don't know whether you will be running up there, but I thought I would throw that in. I always carry my own soap. Most truck stops furnish soap, but I prefer my own. I make a point of carrying my own wash cloth and towel. I don't usually need it, but just in case, I have it. Since you will be sharing a bunk with someone else, space will be at a premium. You will need some way to keep your things together. I suggest a large gym bag or one of those suitcase like bags with wheels underneath. I bought one at an Army Navy store for about $20-30. It is made of canvas and has held up well. When you get your own truck, you might think of getting a port-a-pottie. The least expensive one I found is about $70 or $80. You can find them at most WalMarts and sporting goods stores. Good luck. 8)
Wow yeah, that just says it all. Great advice =). like always.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Board Regular

Toss me a PM and we can chat woman to woman on hygeine on the road.

Soladad