User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking of going to drivers solutions-Need Advice Please

I live in Johnson City Tn and was recently laid off from my job. I've been thinking about getting my cdl for a long time and have decided to go for it. Needless to say unemployment does not leave any money left to pay up front for school. I talked to Drivers Solutions and am thinking of starting there next month. I've read some bad things about them and would love any info or advice any of you would be willing to give. Thank you on advance for your help.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Default post

See what they have to offer and if it makes sense to you then go for it, if it dose'nt then leave it alone. Common sense that's all it takes, there will always be the nay sayers, if it will help you accomplish your goals and once again it makes sense then go for it. I learned to drive a t/t by joining the Tarzan Zerbini Circus at that time out of webb city mo., One guy showed me how to float the gears a total of 3 minutes. Another gave me 10 min. in backing up mostly just verbal telling me if you want the trailer to go one way then turn the steering wheel the other. I used to sit there and think before I turned the wheel, watched the back of the trailer and the next I knew it was second nature. That's my story; I learned about log books in tn. in a full blown d.o.t., all I could say is What's that. So yes my friend if it helps you accomplish your goals then maybe why not, especially in this economy.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

TN seems to be an area that does have quite a number of trucking companies. However, I would suggest you find out what kind of support you can expect from them to help you find a job when you're out. There have been a number of people that have come on this board complaining that they are out of school and can't find a company that will hire someone just out of school. Another thing I would suggest is that you "send out some feelers" to the companies in your area and find out from them what your prospects are for finding employment when school is out. If you have a problem finding a company that will hire out of school, don't spend the money. The only thing you will do is get yourself deeper in a hole.

If you do find a pretty decent prospect of getting a job, go for it.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Rookie

The school hires for pam and us truck. The company will pay for my schooling then I owe them 1 year. I wish I could do it another way but I just can't afford to pay for schooling out of my own pocket right now. I figure it's at least a way to get my foot in the door. I know the pay won't be as good the first year but I figure with 1 year otr my options should look much better come year 2.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Rookie

This is what i'm thinking for now.Next vacation from school,i want to spend my time with another school.I think it's a great idea to go for a driving lesson.How much do you think i will spend?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Rookie

Look for a Tech Center in your are that teaches truck driving. They are cheaper because they are usually a public school and the course should be longer. The training will be better. I did alot of checking on this. I went to McFatter Tech Center CVD class in south florida. I only paid $1800 with books and was there for 9 weeks and drove 1000 miles!

Last edited by blaster man; 08-09-2009 at 06:57 AM.