User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How about Katlaw in Austel GA .. info?

Here's another local school I can find little info on ... no bad, so I guess that's good. They seem allright. They claim to place with the following and are "sure" they can get a gig where I can bring my dog. I plan to pay up front .. $2500 or so .. and not have the contract to deal with.

Werner Enterprises, Inc.
Central Refrigerated Service
Covenant Transportation
Star Transportation
McElroy Truck Lines
Trans Am Trucking
US Express
Action Carrier, Inc
Swift Transportation
ComCar Industries
Stevens Transport
CRST
Colonial Freight
H.O. Wolding Transportation
WH Transportation
Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Steve,

Katlaw is a mill just like the one I went to and work for ( part time ). They are a small "chain" and we are only a one site operation. The school itself is only as good as the person in charge of THAT school. Can you get your CDL and be hired from that school???? YES!!! With those companies??? Well... a few years ago the answer was yes. Today??? Times change. Call and ask the companies that you think might fit what you are looking for and ask if they hire from that school. Things are very different than they were 4 years ago as far as who a company will hire and train.

$2500.00 is not a bad price for a "mill" type school. Your doing the right thing by asking questions BEFORE you leap into something that you may regret later.

If I never see another post that starts out: " I just signed on with XXX and start on Monday. Can anybody tell me anything about them??? "
it will be too soon.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Steve,

Katlaw is a mill just like the one I went to and work for ( part time ). They are a small "chain" and we are only a one site operation. The school itself is only as good as the person in charge of THAT school. Can you get your CDL and be hired from that school???? YES!!! With those companies??? Well... a few years ago the answer was yes. Today??? Times change. Call and ask the companies that you think might fit what you are looking for and ask if they hire from that school. Things are very different than they were 4 years ago as far as who a company will hire and train.

$2500.00 is not a bad price for a "mill" type school. Your doing the right thing by asking questions BEFORE you leap into something that you may regret later.

If I never see another post that starts out: " I just signed on with XXX and start on Monday. Can anybody tell me anything about them??? "
it will be too soon.
Thanks .. I have a job I'm looking at and they do accept Katlaw and Dalys, both in my area. So unless I encounter some bad info/reviews I'll probably be going with one of those two. Of course I can't do anything until my job ends Jan 1st. They'll also let me have my dog ... after 90 days solo. A fair rule, just complicates things.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Rookie
Default Finished at Katlaw .. great experience!

I thought I should update this thread as I have now finished at Katlaw and gotten my CDL 'A'.

My job ended 12/31 as expected and I was able to pay for my own schooling with my severance pay. I started 1/12 and tested on 1/30. It was $2595 for 3 weeks, 1 class and 2 driving. For me, the school, instructors and program was awesome. I have a lot of mechanical skills and have driven straight truck (years ago) and lots of boat trailers, U-Hauls pulling my car, etc. I think that helped as I took to it like a fish to water, as they say. I finished with a 98 overall and breezed through my DMV test quite easily.

I would recommend Katlaw to anyone looking for a cdl school. I was pre-approved by Werner, Star, US Xpress, etc .. but am looking, and likely, to get on with Conway Truckload. Just waiting for final approval.

Good luck all!

Steve
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashburn View Post
I thought I should update this thread as I have now finished at Katlaw and gotten my CDL 'A'.

My job ended 12/31 as expected and I was able to pay for my own schooling with my severance pay. I started 1/12 and tested on 1/30. It was $2595 for 3 weeks, 1 class and 2 driving. For me, the school, instructors and program was awesome. I have a lot of mechanical skills and have driven straight truck (years ago) and lots of boat trailers, U-Hauls pulling my car, etc. I think that helped as I took to it like a fish to water, as they say. I finished with a 98 overall and breezed through my DMV test quite easily.

I would recommend Katlaw to anyone looking for a cdl school. I was pre-approved by Werner, Star, US Xpress, etc .. but am looking, and likely, to get on with Conway Truckload. Just waiting for final approval.

Good luck all!

Steve

Best of Luck to you,,,,,,, let us know how things go.