LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Customer - Yes
Student - Yes

You are both.

As a student learning a profession you are expected to perform at a certain level -- a professional one. You are expected to be on time (just like being at a job), you are expected to be prepared for the day, you are expected to show respect for yourself, your fellow students and your instructor.

As a customer you expect and deserve to be treated with respect. As a customer you are expected to show respect to other customers and to the staff of the business.

As a customer who is a student you expect and deserve training.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Default my take

First, Fozzie, please accept my condolences. All honor and respect are due any member of the military, and our love goes to the families ofthose who fall.

I think, as a teacher, your attitude is correct. If the instructor says "this is the way it is", any student better have a good explanation for not meeting that expectation. If he can't do it, he needs to be elsewhere - maybe a different school, maybe a different career.

The entire class (I don't care if it's just one other student) should not be inconvenienced by the thoughtlessness of one student. Tardiness, disrupting class, etc., are all indications of disrespect - not only of the instructor, but any other students as well.

The instructor lays down the rules. A good one can lay down stiff rules an still maintain a friendly relationship with the students. Lay the rules down, stick to them fairly, and never raise your voice. If a student doesn't get something, see that he gets additional instruction. If the CLASS doesn't get something, it's time to revamp your lesson plan.

I've spent the better part of my life watching one of the best teachers I know impart his knowledge of physics to college students. He can even teach football players and blonde bimbettes.

It's also true, as somebody else here pointed out - just because you know a lot about a subject doesn't mean you will make a good teacher. I know a few things about this and that, and I've tried to teach employees.. it took me a while, but I learned that I am a *terrible* teacher.

I have zero problem calling somebody "Mr." or "Miss", or "Mrs." even if they are half my age. It's a sign of respect, and by dint of their knowledge - which they are trying to impart to me - they are deserving of respect (well, until they prove otherwise).
Of course, I am deserving of respect, as well. If I have a problem getting something right, yelling like a drill sergeant won't help. To me, it's a sign that the individual in question has a.. shall we say, lack of expertise. Rather than learn alternative methods of getting his point across, he blames the student. Not a good thing.

ok - I've rambled on and on and parked my rig in the cornfield. I should stop now and maybe see about getting some help.