User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Foodlink Truck Driving School

Here is the email response I got back from them.
Quote:
California Emergency Foodlink Truck Driving School has new classes starting every 6 weeks. Students are required to attend an Orientation which is held every Monday afternoon at 1:30pm. (If Monday is a holiday, the Orientation is held the next day…on Tuesday at 1:30pm.) Orientations last at least 3 hours. The first hour we’ll explain our program, the costs and answer questions. Students that are still interested can remain for the 2nd hour and take the entry test. This is a timed test that must be completed in one hour, and includes reading, math and language skills.

Our truck driving program is 18 weeks. Class is held Monday thru Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm. We do not offer accelerated programs, night or weekend classes. Our course provides students with training for a Class A license with all endorsements, a Class B license (passenger: bus, limo, etc.), forklift certification, 1st Aid and CPR training.

Although our school is “tuition free”…. it isn’t “free”. Students trained at California Emergency Foodlink Truck Driving School spend 6 weeks in the classroom, 6 weeks on vehicle skills and 6 weeks as a student intern driver. Tuition fees are waived because students give their services to help Foodlink provide food to those in need through out California. Student volunteer duties include working in the warehouse as well as driving delivery trucks. This school is an exchange. Students help Foodlink and Foodlink helps students get their Class A license.

There are some direct costs that students pay. There are no mark-ups or handling fees included…these are direct costs that must be paid by the students:

DOT Drug Test $55.00 Due the first day of school

DOT Physical $50.00 Due 3rd week of school

DMV License Fees $64.00 Due 4th week of school
TOTAL: $169.00

Some students may be interested in applying for a Hazmat background Check…which is an additional $94 but is optional

Our upcoming class schedule is as follows:
October 22, 2007 thru February 29, 2008

December 3, 2007 thru April 11, 2008

January 22, 2008 thru May 23, 2008

As stated earlier, this is an on-going program with new classes starting every 6 weeks.

Please contact me at 916/387-9000 ext 109 should you require any additional information. Hope to see you at one of our Monday afternoon Orientations!

Sincerely,
Brenda

Brenda Coker
Vice President - Training
California Emergency Foodlink
Truck Driving School
(916)387-9000 ext 109
Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I guess if you can be unemployed for 4 1/2 months it would be a good way to go.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Rookie

Pretty much. Thats why I haven't signed up.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Board Regular

i went to foodlink. it so happened , i was laid off from my job. i was able to collect unemplyment while i was at foodlink. technically, you can get your CDL in 10 weeks while working, there were some students that had full and part time jobs while there. then, take it and run without doing the driving intership. only problem is, any employer that wants to check an see if you graduated from the school, will discover you did not.
personally, looking back, i dont think it would have made a difference if i stuck around for the 6 week internship. although, it was a good experience to drive the big trucks several times over various 200-500 mile days. it has helped me be a better driver in the beginning of my employers training program.
i can tell you, if anyone goes to Foodlink, be tolerant of a mix of age and personalities

* note* i only worked in the warehouse 2-3 times for about 4 hours each time. i drove the boxtrucks picking up and deliveing a total of 6-7 times and it was only 4-5 hours each time. it was easy.

you may look at the sac city college program. it cost 600 bucks i think. and there is no obligation to do any work. its just a CDL program.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Rookie

I am thinking of doing the foodlink course as i can afford the time off, when they say full cdl with all endorsements i assume that means hazmat as well?

Dont fancy paying 5000 to a school and then have no job to go to. Although seeing a lot of ads on craigslist for driver with experience, thinking my European long haul experience wont mean much to companies here.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Rookie

Went for the orientation last week for foodlink (basically a talk and then a 3 part general education multiple choice test). Got approved to start on Nov 3rd, but with all the holidays the course wont finish until March. Definitely think the 6 weeks work with them will be useful for experience and hopefully the economy will be a little better by then.

The total cost is just over $200