User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Butch, also start filling out apps to OTR companies now if your going that route. Also tell them you train on 48's not pups. I lost some opportunities because we trained on pups. When you graduate you could also look for jobs as a yard jockey. Companies don't count it as experience but it's great practice.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjollyrob
Hey Butch, the training was great and yes dennis was the director of the school. The instructors were Moe,carl,Jimmy and my man Harry O. Harry is the full timer and the others are part time now. Follow the pre trip the way they teach it and you will not have any problems at all. Focus on your maneuvers practice every chance you can. I benefited on the rainy days because some guys didnt want to get wet and I stayed outside and worked. I graduated on time for my schedule and early by theirs. It will get frustrating when the next class after yours comes in because the yard will be a cluster f#@$. Just focus on you. Abf will come in they're very hard to get into but when the time comes put in the application. Their are local jobs around that you can get experience with. Dont be afraid to take a decent class B job if offered. I passed on one and it's turning out to be a mistake. The guy that took that job is bringing home over $900 a week working 50+ hrs a week at $16hr. Best of luck. Let me know when you start and one of these days I'll pop in to say hi to your class & the instructors.

Butch, also start filling out apps to OTR companies now if your going that route. Also tell them you train on 48's not pups. I lost some opportunities because we trained on pups. When you graduate you could also look for jobs as a yard jockey. Companies don't count it as experience but it's great practice.
Thanks for the quick response. After talking to Dennis I went outside and met Carl when I was at the school last week and he's cool, come's fishing down in Newport sometimes, where I live. I have been reading the PTDI handbook to pre-educate myself on the ins and outs of trucks and driving so I'll also be able to complete the course ahead of the full schedule.

I plan to use the most of the training course and I also will be outside with my raingear getting wet when needed. Thanks for the tip about the 48's, I did notice when I was there that the biggest trailer was only a 24' or 28' or something, it's alright to learn on but I will definitely tell the companies I was driving 48's.

Did I read somewhere that you applied for ABF? If so how did that go, I guess it didn't pan out? Are you still working the recycling gig, how's that going?

I am considering OTR as well as local, of course, but I still have to get my girl to succumb to my efforts to go OTR for the learning experience. The kids will be out of school in a couple more years and if I get OTR training now then by the time they're out of school she can hop in the cab with me and see the country together...we'll see.

Bottom line is that if I'm able to find a stable job like you mentioned making around 8 or 9 a week local then I'm taking it, if not then OTR seems like an ok option to learn with.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted on my progress as I go along. I plan to start a new post when school starts so I can document the course and curriculum for any other newbies that follow. I read the post about NETTTS, and after reading and visiting the place myself I am so glad that I chose the Teamsters for training. NETTTS is a total suck job.

Peace,

Butch
Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM

hey butch
Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM

I am still in the mix to get on with ABF but I dont have time for the games. I left the recycled place because the cost of fuel was getting to high and I want to drive not be a swing driver. I went back to landscaping until I could get into another company closer. I just did 2 days with a container company but there unsure of the hour they have weekly.
I got approved & accepted to work linehaul for stericycle in woonsocket. I start on monday for orientation/training. My job will be driving from woonsocket to middletown,ct with double pups,then back with a 48ft trailer then repeat. pays during 1st 90 days is 35 cents per mile plus $16.25 hr when not driving(hooking up doubles,paperwork,break etc) after 90 days its 40 cpm $16.75 per hr. aprox 2000+ miles a week. Keep in touch Rob H
Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Rookie

Hey Rob,

That new job sounds pretty good for getting the experience on the road. The pay sounds decent too. Do you live in Pawtucket? I know what you mean about the cost of gas being so high. I checked out the cost of gas for school compared to taking the RIPTA bus from Newport. Gas will be around $300 a month but if I take Ripta with a commuter monthly pass it'll only be $27.50 per month. Money's tight right now so it looks like I'm taking the bus, they said all I have to do is get a letter from Dennis stating the dates that I'm going to school. Good luck with your new job. Let me know how it goes, I'll keep you posted on my end too.

Butch
Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Hey Butch, I live in warwick close to cranston route 10 to 95n its an easy ride to woonsocket.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjollyrob
Hey Butch, I live in warwick close to cranston route 10 to 95n its an easy ride to woonsocket.
Yeah, after I asked if you lived in Pawtucket I joined a couple of other trucker forums and saw that your profile had you in Warwick. Looks like we're the same age too.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 AM

HEy butch, whens your start date at 251 school
Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Rookie

My paperwork goes in tuesday and if all goes well I'll be starting next Monday, 25th. I hope everything works out I can't wait to get started. How'd your orientation go? Did you get the hook up or what?

Butch
Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Rookie

Hey Rob,

I got my paper work in and now my fate is in the hands of the powers that be. I'll know by Friday if I'm in the Monday, August 25th class or not.