User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driver Training Schools in Eastern Ontario, Canada

Can any Canadian drivers provide me with ratings for the above? The nations capital has several and this is very handy for me. One particular training centre will allow me to complete their program part time, perfect, meaning I can work my f/t job while I prepare.

Feel free to pm me as well. Thanks all.

Be careful out there. Drive Safe!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Rookie

EO, i am fresh out truck driving school in Ontario Canada,
As for choosing truck driving schools, choose one that offers more than 40 hours on the road training. this, what i am saying is on road training is on the TRUCK you will do MTO test on. if you are a fast learner choose a school less than 40 hours of on the road training., yard training in Ontario schools are almost unlimited, but you can never get enough.

PS ,, i went to a truck driving school that offered 40 hrs on the road training. PLUS unlimited in the yard training. by the time the instructors were done with their "so called coffee" UNION meeting , i Only had 25 Total hours of on the road training. too be Honest that is why I was so scared of not passing my Road Test. Not enough time on the truck i was doing my road test on.
Pick A school that will offer alot of hours of training in the test truck(On the road) . in yard almost all the schools are unlimited.
I payed out of pocket and i was not impressed with the school.

BOL
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Board Member

I have been to a few schools here.....not impressed myself.......poor reviews coming back from others on the local ones. IMO, I am bit skeptical to spend the $$ of my pocket, especially with the new changes proposed in the CTHRC (Canadian Trucking Human Resource Council) site. The insurance industry is into this new proposed legislation so heavy right now and I dont want to find myself without a job in 3yrs or less. I have posted their site below.

http://www.cthrc.com/en/index.php

I am in process of preparing for a career change & wanted to do a p/t course and get my A while i worked my govt job, be ready for the day i retired.....which i can most likely do in 3yrs. The jury is still out on which path I will take in order to obtain an A license.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Ask the schools about the trainers. Have they actually worked on the road driving a truck? Or are they fresh out of school themselves? How can a trainer teach you all about driving a truck ' in the real world' if they have never been there themselves? There is a course that trainers can take called 'Earning Your Wheels'. To be an 'accredited school there are certain guidelines. I think the requirement is that you have 25 hours of actual driving in the truck. So much time for back-ups, so much time for yard work, and so much in class, so much time for shift practice. ( 40 hours total). If you don't get the driving perfected in 25 hours, how much are they going to charge you extra for the road time? If you fail your road test, how many more retries do you get before it costs you more money? Where does the company do the road tests and why? Out of Walkley Road or somewhere else?

Stop by and visit the school. Go to the training area. Watch, listen. Ask questions. Talk to the trainers away from the office. Talk to the students. Are they happy with the training? Are they happy with the school? How long have they been there? How many road tests have they done?

Just trying to help you out girl! PM me if you want.

Annie 8)
Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 PM

The issues posted in the CTHRC site have been talked about for years. Some thing will eventually be done on these issues, but when? Who knows?

Annie :?