User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schools? - Do you have to go to school in the USA to drive?

Hello All,

I am new here... Been driving for a few years now in Canada. My wife is from the US, and we are wanting to move back. Do I have to take schooling to get a license there? I got my class 1 in Canada and am trying to find a company that would sponser my work visa or give advise on what I should do.. any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Board Regular

I had my AZ license when I moved to the States from Canada. The DOT let mine transfer to the state I live in without any problems. Didn't need to write or road test. Only things they wouldn't allow to transfer was my HazMat and the B class I also had. They said I'd have to write for my HazMat and Bus again. Best of luck to you. Drive safe everyone.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

You don't HAVE to goto class to get it.

I have no information on the transfer of your license. Might be possible, I just don't know. Perhaps you should call the state that you guys are looking into moving too.

You could study on your own and take the test, thats what I did. Sure wish I had taken a class but I think that is behind me now(10 years later)

Now without a class and some companies might not recognize your Canadian experience and look at you as a newbie resulting in a much more difficult time getting employment.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Board Regular

When I first moved to the States I had no trouble with companies not accepting my work experience in Canada. They all told me as long as they were able to verify my work. I made things easier by already having letters from the 2 companies I had previously worked for in Canada. One company in the States even verified my driving record from Canada. No problems there. Best of luck to you. Drive safe everyone.