User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift vs American Eagle

I was looking at these two companies, mainly because they will pay for my schooling. I just wanted to know of PROS and/or CONS of these two companies. I am looking to do OTR. I've heard bad things on Swift but nothing really confirmed, just rumors. American Eagle, I've heard about the same. I kinda figure you hear this about every company.

Any insight on this would be helpful. Such as pay difference, home time ( which really isn't important to me, there are just a couple of dates I would like to be home ), benefits, how their trucks are, how they treat you, I think that is all I can think of right now. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Board Regular

You'll hear alot about the starter companies, good and bad. Most of the gripes I've heard seem to personal in nature, whether it be not receiving the warm-fuzzy treatment, or being a number. The pay you will know before you start so there shouldn't be a surprise there. As far as the rest, each driver probably has a totally different story to tell you. What's an ok situation for one person might be pure hell for another. So, not knowing the driver personally it kinda hard to know if hell was really hell or not. If you're looking at starting with one of these big companies read all the threads here so you know what you're up against. If you go with one of them it will be easier if you prep yourself for a situation that may not be the greatest. I have no choice but to go with one of them. So, I've pretty much come to the realization that it may suck for the first year. Or, I may be lucky and it turns out ok. Either way, my expectations are not set so high that I end up complaining about it in the end.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Swift vs American Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDxEscape
I was looking at these two companies, mainly because they will pay for my schooling. I just wanted to know of PROS and/or CONS of these two companies. I am looking to do OTR. I've heard bad things on Swift but nothing really confirmed, just rumors. American Eagle, I've heard about the same. I kinda figure you hear this about every company.

Any insight on this would be helpful. Such as pay difference, home time ( which really isn't important to me, there are just a couple of dates I would like to be home ), benefits, how their trucks are, how they treat you, I think that is all I can think of right now. Thank you.
I can't speak for American Eagle but as for swift I can tell you what most will tell you. It all depends on you and a great many variables. A year ago when I started with swift in thier schools I lucked out and got some decent training, kept my chin up, didn't let others get me down. Now after a year I am finaly able to start looking at other companies, of course I think swift realizes that and I'm starting to see a major increase in miles, lol. The pro is you'll be almost garunteed a CDL, the con is they move quick so even after trainning you'll have much learning and polishing to do. Trainning was 3 weeks for phase one. After you get your CDL, Phase two (Mentoring) is 6 weeks. If you go with swift May I recomend a few things, it might be tougher to find a mentoer with these qualities but choose one that at least has 5 years driving time, gives you plenty of time in the drivers seat and spends plenty of time in the jump seat. Nothing pisses me of more than driving down the raod and seeing a student that has less than a week experience and the mentor is in the sleeper.

As for the pay, most training companies pay low. It the tradeoff for them training you. After 9 mos to a year you should be up to the normal pay scale if you can survive that long. Out of 70+ of us that graduated out of my class I've only seen 2 of us still in this business. Turnover is high, and for good reason, this job isn't for most ppl.

As far as haveing a particular date off, I've gotten some off but not all. My anneversery was missed becuse I was at the oposate end of the US at the time and it was a holiday. I've gotten christmas, thanksgivving, and easter off. I do have dental, medical, std, and ltd. They aren't blue cross but they work. I'm treated fair but that will depend on what you view as fair.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Default Re: Swift vs American Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDxEscape

If you are talking about American Eagle Lines out of Dallas, TX they are owned by FFE ( http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/prod...7143-page.html ). You can find a great deal of information on FFE here on this BB. American Eagle WEB site is http://www.aeal.com/ .

Just as with any other company I would generate your questions list and speak with the recruiter. If there is something with FFE you do not like then make sure you press for answers to those questions with American Eagle. You may also wish to question AEL about their relationships with FFE and how AEL is integrated with FFE, if at all.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Board Regular

Learn as much as you can before you get out here, regardless of the company you choose. Once you have your CDL, check out CFI!