User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What to look for in a CDL school?

What am I looking for in a CDL class?

What Can I expect to hear when I ask the school, " Why should I use your school? "

Any accreditetions I should look for.

Where to look for the signs of a bad school
Old 12-01-2006, 07:19 PM

Do NOT go to HR Career Development, in Montpelier, OH.

1. One of their range instructors totally dislikes women. Unless you are cute and have a great body, you are screwed. He'll hate you otherwise.
2. This jerk doesn't have enough guts to tell women they are going to have a hard time. He gets the woman who does the recruiting to have a "conference" with the female student (when he's present) and tell her she's not progressing fast enough and she may want to rethink how hard it's going to be.
3. Driving range is crushed limestone. When it's raining, it's a mudhole. When it's dry and windy, it's a dustbowl. It might be the size of a football field, if that.
4. Crappy trucks.
5. They also use one of the school's trucks to make delivery runs, so a few times a week, they are down to only two trucks on the range.
6. Men get to use a porta potty that hasn't been cleaned for years.
7. Women get to trudge about 200 feet to a cold barn that has a toilet tucked away in a corner. The washbasin is outside the bathroom, attached to the barn wall. The washbasin leaks and the water is freezing cold. The barn itself is filthy and dimly lit.
8. I always had to ask my instructor every day for the key to the barn so I could use the bathroom.
9. Former students who didn't pass their first time would come back and practice and infringe our OUR time using the trucks, thus cutting into our time.
10. The school had a simulator which was never used because it was nothing more than a computer game. Of course, they mentioned the simulator in their sales brochures.
11. We were told not to fudge our logs, but the school "fudged" our hours spent in school. Our last two hours were supposedly our "graduation" day, but only lasted 25 minutes.
12. They are all confident out you getting through when you are in orientation, but if you don't get through the first time, they don't care.

I'm seriously considering going to another school if I can't pass my CDL in a couple more tries. I put an ad in a local paper asking for rig owners if they will help me. I've already signed up for tutoring from another school (at a huge price) and if that doesn't help, I'm enrolling in another place.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

good luck