User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift school in Millington

I've read alot of input on schools and witnessed alot of people on this board looking for answers and not getting them (instead geting negative OPINIONS). I'm currently attending class in Millington going on my 11th day, here is my recap so far. Classes begin on Wednesday, you check into a local hotel on Tuesday eve, you are put 4 to a room, a bus picks you up at 5:30 am and school starts at 6, the first 2 days is mostly in processing and prepping for the permit exam. We had about 140 people in our class so everything took alot of time, the days started early and would finish late, on Sunday you pre-test at the school for DMV test, you have to pass the schools pre-test to take the DMV test. Once you get your permit (which will be a Tennessee permit) you start range training which is straightline backing, parrallel parking and offset backing, we will be finished with testing on these on Sunday (tommorrow). At this point, my input is, it's not easy and if thats what your looking for, you might want to go to Wal-Mart and get a job as the door greeter. I'm not crazy about being stuck 4 to a room with people I hardly know, but I've made out fine because of my attitude. Those first few days are really rough because you don't really get much sleep, you cram for the exam and test day comes quicker that you think. The wash-out rate is normally really high ('bout 70%) from what I've observed, my class has managed to hold together unusually well, we still have over half of the class still hanging in there. The instructors are very good at what they do, some of them have peculiar attitudes that you just have to side step. The only real flaw in the program is the size of the classes, all problems seem to stem from that, it's almost like joining the military (anyone who has gone through military in-processing will know what I mean). At this point, I have confidence in the training that I'll receive, they don't just pass you for the sake of sending you to the next level. There are a few individuals who do manage to "sqeak" by and probably should not be allowed to, but that just happens, they still have to make it through the mentor process. When I'm done, I'll continue this thread and I hope I give a clear picture of what my experience was like for any one who wants to know.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Rookie
Default Swift

I've been there done that. still awaiting a mentor unless you live in TN you may be waiting and waiting. I've decided to quit waiting am going to transport america so I can have a job. I'm class of 534 and there are still people of class 531 waiting mentors. Good luck and it is a good school just wish they woulda got a mentor, So I wouldn't of had to go else where. I leave tomorrow to In. to start a job driving but with another company. Swift gives alot of promisses but you'll not get a paper to back it up other than your CDL. But if you don't live in TN you will retake the written part before you get your license back over into your state. Actually there are several from 534 going to other places and I've heard several from other classes. So good luck hope all goes well for you.The last class didn't pass because of improper training material. They changed the DMV questions and they failed only like 20 outta 84 passed but only cause they had there own DMV books from there state.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Rookie

I attended class in Sept at the KC school, attended orientation week before last, so I have been waiting for a mentor for a week, I know this doesn't sound like a long time, but it seams like a long time when you are not making any money.

I think Swift needs to get there Shit together!!!!!!!!!
I just don't understand why they keep putting people through school and orientation when they know they don't have mentor's
(poor planning skills) I have talked to a few other companies about work, and they tell me Swift won't release any paperwork or info on me til I actually pull a load for them. After I do that they would be happy to take me, That doest leave to many options except to wait :evil:

what to do.....give them a few more days to get there Shit together and then If I am still waiting...Barrow the money to pay them off and move on

Can't afford to wait forever!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the heads-up, when you moved on, did you have any problem with the new company accepting your training? They need to stop flooding so many people through this program, I don't have a problem with moving on after school, if they can't accommodate me, as long as the training will transfer.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Haven't moved on as of it, still waiting on Swift to get it together. I will give them a few more days (On my 2nd week of waiting),,

Have not found anyone that can work with me until I have pulled a load with Swift...If I ever actually get to do that, then I might as well stay with them for awhile!! :?

If I want to get proof that I went to Thier School I will have to pay them off..or pull my first load as a Solo
Old 11-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Default swift school millington

looks like im headed your way nov8 how has it been going and looks like 4 to a room would be tight .